↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Oil & filter change or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Japseroony

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Oil & filter change or not?
So having had the D250 from new in June this year, I have just returned from a trip to the Pyrenees and the Defender has 4209 miles on the clock.

Whilst away the car was driven sensibly but off road and in dusty conditions so I was considering an oil & filter change.

Local LR garage has quoted me just under £300 so is it worth it or not?

No lights, warnings or anything and the info system says the car is not due a service or oil change for some 14k miles, just piece of mind.

What do you guys think? Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

"UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.
Post #1010652 9th Oct 2023 5:30pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
No GBP 300 is not worth it for an oil change (at 4000 miles). Do it yourself for GBP 50

What is suppose to be oil change interval? 15k?

I do my oil changes on my own cars at max 10k km (6k miles) or once a year (mostly nowadays). For the more modern fleet I always buy synthetic, but since I moved back to Europe I am using the supermarket brand as the big brands are wayyy to expensive in my books. Same oil used to cost half in the US and Middle East and it ain't the taxes. I am of the opinion that frequent oil changes are more beneficial than expensive oil (within the same oil spec).
Post #1010655 9th Oct 2023 6:14pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Don't do it at all with these low mileage, wait till 10.000. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #1010660 9th Oct 2023 7:01pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
^^^ why is that then? i have always changed oil very early on with a new engine and that was pre dpf times. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1010661 9th Oct 2023 7:07pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
im another fan of early and yearly oil changes . even more so on dpf equipped vehicles.
if your not keeping it long term std servicing is fine but if its a keeper then more maintenance wont hurt it.

as its under warranty you would have to be careful about who does the work and what oil they use, yes a good indy will be fine but i think its a little early at 4k
Post #1010665 9th Oct 2023 7:28pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
@texasrover. oil change and filter for £ 50,- .... ?

I did an intermediate oil and filter change at 10k Mls. by myself on the old fashioned hard way
, involved removing all protection under the car.
Bought the same Castrol Edge Professional titanium oil and an oil filter, costs around £ 110,-
Most important to check for any metal residu in the oil and filter after all the oil is out.
The dealer only sucks the oil out as far as they can, doubt if they check anything.
At my first service just before 24 months / 15k Mls. the dealer did the oil change and they
managed to overfill Banging Head
During the warranty period, 36 months please use the original oil in case of engine failure. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #1010673 9th Oct 2023 8:13pm
martinf

United Kingdom 
I have a 110 P300 and recently had a service and the dealer overfilled the engine with oil.

I complained and they sent out the AA who removed 1.1 litres to get it to the correct level as per the dipstick.

I was left wondering if the dealer failed to suck out all the oil before putting in the recommended amount. I noticed that the oil removed by the AA was quite black for the 12 miles the car had done coming back from the dealer.
Post #1010690 9th Oct 2023 9:35pm
hopalong

Australia 
Change the air filter at least, we did a 10000 km trip in the Australian deserts recently on dusty tracks

Click image to enlarge

and blew dust out of the air filter several times and put a new air filter in 3 times.It is a bit awkward but doable by the side of a track in the bush.
Post #1010704 10th Oct 2023 12:36am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Defendit.. wrote:
@texasrover. oil change and filter for £ 50,- .... ?

I did an intermediate oil and filter change at 10k Mls. by myself on the old fashioned hard way
, involved removing all protection under the car.
Bought the same Castrol Edge Professional titanium oil and an oil filter, costs around £ 110,-
Most important to check for any metal residu in the oil and filter after all the oil is out.
The dealer only sucks the oil out as far as they can, doubt if they check anything.
At my first service just before 24 months / 15k Mls. the dealer did the oil change and they
managed to overfill Banging Head
During the warranty period, 36 months please use the original oil in case of engine failure.

Ok, just looked up the oil capacity wow which is a lot and you are correct if you buy the premium stuff at the premium (European rip off) pricing you be closer to 100. And there is the warranty, which is something I don't have to worry about.

The sucking out of oil though is quite effective and convenient espesially if you had all that under body protection. on a Disco 4 I had I sucked out the oil and once to check I removed the plug after I sucked out the oil and very little came out (5.0 VCool more like a dribble.

Anyway the dealer will also suck it out even for 300.
Post #1010705 10th Oct 2023 1:40am
Tim in Scotland

Japseroony - suggest that if you have been in dry dusty conditions or deep mud that you also carry out a “Jet Wash” mode radiator clean. It will lock the flaps that enable quick warm up in cold weather and close up as part of the wading mode in the open position for radiator cleaning.
It’s not in the owners manual but it is in the workshop manual and PowerfulUK have a video from about 2 years ago showing how to do but I did a screen grab from the video….. if you look in the grille you can see if the radiator is visible or if the vanes are closed blocking the radiator. Apparrantly this mode was added because the LRE’s were having cleaning problems on their cars - I know this also works for L494 RRS and L405 FFRR so expect it works on D5 and the two new RR’s

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1010869 11th Oct 2023 12:51pm
Lightwater

Australia 
hopalong wrote:
Change the air filter at least, we did a 10000 km trip in the Australian deserts recently on dusty tracks

Click image to enlarge

and blew dust out of the air filter several times and put a new air filter in 3 times.It is a bit awkward but doable by the side of a track in the bush.

Agree, the dust gets into everything.

This is the air filter from my Freelander.

Not worth trying to save a few dollars & kill the car. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1010936 12th Oct 2023 6:43am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I usually do an early-life oil and filter change on all my vehicles, but I do it myself. Just done my Honda motorcycle, and even my lawnmower Smile

I did my Defender 13 years ago, and I still have that car, and still cherish it! I even wrote it up here! https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8707.html

Glad I did - I found the levels and oils just did not seem right. 13 years on, and she runs like a beauty...cash and time well spent IMO Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #1010938 12th Oct 2023 7:44am
lightning

United Kingdom 
My advice.

Change the oil and filter at 5,000 miles then again at 10,000

After that, change it every 10,000 miles, or annually.

It costs around £120 if you do it yourself. It certainly can't do any harm. Buy a suction device to get the oil out, around £60 on Ebay.
Post #1010944 12th Oct 2023 8:30am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Agreed. The most critical component in any engine/gearbox is the lubrication.
Post #1010990 12th Oct 2023 2:11pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I wouldn’t worry.

Defender is loaded with service interval indicators installed .Land Rover’s Flexible Service calculates when a service is due based on driving styles and conditions.
Spend your money when it’s needed
It’s a modern vehicle..not like the good old Defender

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #1011018 12th Oct 2023 7:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>