↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Roof Rack Options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
ODPA

United States 
Roof Rack Options
After doing some searching for info on roof rack options I thought I would start a thread specific to listing what is out there. The market is slowly growing so let’s give this a try. If this is already done I apologize and please link where. I am sure most are aware of the LR expedition, front runner, and voyager. What else is out there and available now? Maybe also list use reports if you have one?
Post #1010581 9th Oct 2023 1:16am
Moo

Ukraine 
I have the LR rack. Think it's noisy and not that practical because of the aero bars. I'm probably going to get either the Front Runner or Prospeed rack. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1010587 9th Oct 2023 9:03am
ODPA

United States 
Any chance you have a link for the prospeed rack? I do not see them having a rack available for the defender. Looks like a cool product though when looking at what they have for Toyota vehicles.
Post #1010619 9th Oct 2023 12:59pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Here you go:

https://prospeed.co.uk/products/2019-prese...-roof-rack Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1010620 9th Oct 2023 1:06pm
ODPA

United States 
Thanks. That was definitely not the prospeed site I was on. Maybe UK vs USA. Anyway thanks for the info I am hoping this will grow into a good list of options to help others in their look.
Post #1010622 9th Oct 2023 1:43pm
ODPA

United States 
After several months of looking and considering I am back at this. I have been taking a serious look at the Prospeed Aero Expedition rack and the Expedition One Mule. Anyone have a real world experiment with either of these? I initially started this search thinking I would buy the Voyager Rack but I have the cloth roof I think that option will be noisy. Think one of the others may be the best options for wind noise. I also like that they are low profile.
Post #1020478 8th Jan 2024 1:14am
ODPA

United States 
Decision made. Ordered Prospeed Aero with a few accessories to go with it. Hoping it does not take too long to arrive. Will share thoughts and pictures once it arrives.
Post #1020677 10th Jan 2024 6:32am
Moo

Ukraine 
Be interested to see how you get on. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1020778 10th Jan 2024 11:40pm
ODPA

United States 
I will post as the process moves along. So far I would say the customer service has been outstanding. Calvin at Prospeed reached out this morning after I placed my order last night. Wanted to give me info on their inventory status. One item I ordered they are short on he offered several solutions to meet my needs quickly. After a couple emails we established a plan. I was impressed. Will have a little wait for a couple parts but I am ok with that and appreciate the upfront info and desire to make sure I was satisfied.
Post #1020786 11th Jan 2024 2:26am
stevemfr

France 
Please post pics including close ups of the mounting system. Very interested in this myself. Their D3/4 rack is a work of art IMO. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1020918 12th Jan 2024 1:25pm
ODPA

United States 
Will do. Is supposed to be here Thursday. We will see with all the bad weather we are having. Doubting it will be on time. On generator power and have not left home in two days thanks to freezing rain and my lack of desire to go play with all the idiots on the road. Very Happy
Post #1021242 15th Jan 2024 5:23am
Lightwater

Australia 
Re: Roof Rack Options
ODPA wrote:
After doing some searching for info on roof rack options I thought I would start a thread specific to listing what is out there. The market is slowly growing so let’s give this a try. If this is already done I apologize and please link where. I am sure most are aware of the LR expedition, front runner, and voyager. What else is out there and available now? Maybe also list use reports if you have one?

On the Freelander I had a roof platform, but ended up removing it, even after completely rebuilding it to exactly suit the Freelander. Unless you are using it as a "photographic" position, they are a waste of roof payload.

Ended up using 4 crossbars. Platform less 2 extra crossbars saved 16kg. The whole roof setup is far better than a platform. Everything is easier to get on & off the roof. 10L fuel containers is as much as I want to regularly lift on & off the roof.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Custom 4 x 10L fuel holder (another 2 x 5L in spare wheel).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Bracket to hold sand tracks.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Custom bar between to crossbars to clamp down spare wheel, 5083 alloy (It's bolted into a block inside each crossbar, not actually to the crossbar).

Click image to enlarge

Custom bracket to store solar panels on roof (6 x 20watt, custom hinged & stand). Main supporting brackets between 2nd & 3rd crossbar are 10 x 50mm aluminium fat bar which I got an engineering shop to bend.

Click image to enlarge

All the holes were tapped on second plate & Nyloc nuts used, 316 stainless M4 & M6(mostly) Allen bolts. Most of the aluminium is anodised. Some parts are 316 stainless steel for extra strength.

Hopefully some ideas here you can use for a better setup than a platform. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1021362 16th Jan 2024 2:31am
ODPA

United States 
Nice custom mounts for a ton of items. Great use of the spare to gain some extra storage though I will admit I don’t think I will ever relocate the spare to the roof as I don’t want to lift it up there. The Jerry can mount is very cool. I am sure I will do some custom stuff as well but hopeful that the Prospeed Meets the majority of my needs which I think it will. Most likely it will be a place to Mount some lights, an awning, a few Jerry cans, and a couple Roam cases.
Post #1021363 16th Jan 2024 4:39am
Lightwater

Australia 
I only have the spare on the roof as it is the second spare for the Australian outback. You simply need 2 spares. So 1 has to go on the roof. Also TPMS, tyre repair kit & compressor (3 ARB compressors in parallel in my set-up to be quicker, up to 90amps). Any thicker than 3mm you need to get it bent at an engineering shop.

2 spares on roof.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tip: Hand bending 3mm aluminium flat bar, heat with heat gun (reduces stress cracking) for 2 minutes in bench vise, then quickly bend over with block of wood (have a bucket of water at the ready just in case you burn yourself so you can shove your hand in quickly).

P.S. A heat gun is great for soldering Anderson plugs. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1021471 17th Jan 2024 2:59am
ODPA

United States 
Great advice and work. Very cool setup specific to your environment that you travel. What is the tube for? Water/shower?
Post #1021472 17th Jan 2024 4:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>