↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Roof Rack Options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Australia 
Quite a few have a length of PVC sewer pipe as a water tank. Not the best place for it on the roof. A 2 metre length will have about 18L of water, plus the weight of the PVC, which is heavy.

We carry up to 80L (if necessary) of water in 5 & 10L containers on the floor behind the front seats. Often buy 10L bladder packs.

Price of water at Oodnadatta (Oodnadatta Track).

Click image to enlarge

Always keep your last 20L for an emergency. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1021475 17th Jan 2024 7:13am
ODPA

United States 
Due to the weather things have been a little delayed. The first of four boxes finally arrived today and as luck would have it this box was the main rack. The box looked a little worse for wear but the parts inside were mostly good to go. There was a couple small spots that the black had been worn off but nothing big nor to really worry about. I bet I do more damage myself putting stuff up there once mounted.

Here is how the box looked.

Click image to enlarge

Inside parts boxes

Click image to enlarge

The rack went together nicely. I have everything together without loctite at this point. My plan is to put all the roof mount bits on and mount the rack to make sure everything lines up properly. Then I will go around and loctite and tighten everything. Will also wait for final adjustment of the extra crossbars for when I mount some ROAM cases. The light mounts will get moved into final position once the rack is on the roof. Included picture just to show what it all looks like and how it fits together.

Here is the progress so far.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1022442 25th Jan 2024 4:30am
Lightwater

Australia 
The cheapskates usually screw the platforms, at least that was my experience with the Rhino rack, together with zinc plated screws. Replace with 316 stainless steel. Nyloc nuts save a lot of fluffing about.

Any screws going directly into the car, use hot dipped galvanized, not zinc plated. If you have to use stainless, wrap with teflon gas plumbing tape (gas teflon tape, yellow, is not only thicker, it is more dense). Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #1022445 25th Jan 2024 6:58am
ODPA

United States 
Thanks for the advice and information.

At this point I am starting to think this is going to be a very slow process. Apparently customs is going to clear one box per week. Four boxes total with two delivered. A week between them. So it is looking like it will take a month to get the whole order. Today the aero conversion kit arrived. Still waiting on the floor panels and most importantly the vehicle mounting parts. Put a couple more bits together just to see how it is fitting together. Fit and finish are very nice.

Aero front mounting points

Click image to enlarge

Added a Camel Trophy decal to the aero front.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1022983 30th Jan 2024 1:30am
stevemfr

France 
My wife gave my a Porsche 911 advent calendar this year. One little door per day with Porsche model parts (actually big door for an advent calendar as it's a 1:18 model). The most fun I've had with an advent calendar since I was a kid.

If you try to adopt that mindset - roof rack advent calendar - you might even come to enjoy the customs delays.
Wink

Laughing 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1023123 31st Jan 2024 5:50pm
ODPA

United States 
I had a good laugh with this. We buy our kids advent calendars every year. That would definitely make this waiting game more fun. I am hopeful that the final package will be here soon.
Post #1023169 31st Jan 2024 11:36pm
ODPA

United States 
Well the humor is starting to fade. I am still waiting on the fourth box and as luck would have it that box contains the mounting kit. So u until it arrives there is no more progress to be made. Coming up on a month since it was shipped and as of this evening fedEx is not sure where it is. Said the last time it was seen it was at customs but they are not sure if it is still there or why it has not processed through. So they will open an investigation tomorrow into its location and hopefully before the end of the week I will have an answer as to location and progress. Fingers crossed it is found or that it was insured. The rack is ready for installation as soon as the mounting bits arrive. Put on the floor plates. Planning on a rear access ladder and roof cases so put the platforms so I can access the middle between the cases.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1023741 6th Feb 2024 7:45am
stevemfr

France 
Sorry to hear that. I know how it is. I had a package from the UK (to the EU) that took 11 weeks to clear customs!!! In the meantime I'd wasted countless hours on the phone with DHL. The high point in my correspondence with DHL came when an agent told me that the package had been seized by customs, that I could not file a claim with the shipping insurance as the package had not been lost but seized, and that I had no legal recourse whatsoever. All my explaining that it was simply a radiator duct for my Land Rover and not contraband of any sort and that government agencies could not simply make items disappear made zero impression on this chick. 2 days later the package showed up out of the blue.

And the same money that funded the idiocy that is Brexit is also funding the magas... Banging Head 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
Post #1024214 10th Feb 2024 4:33pm
ODPA

United States 
Sounds like I am reliving your experience. I have never had issues with customs before but for some reason this time a box of metal parts is a big issue. I too have spend a bunch of time on the phone with FedEx and honestly I am convinced at this point the FedEx agent has no clue where the package is or what is going on. I was told it cleared customs a while ago and is sitting in the Memphis hub to then be called and asked for a description of the package so they could find it. I explained I had never seen the box so was unsure exactly the size, color, contents count, and so on but gave them a general description based on the three other boxes that had been delivered. I also asked why they needed the description since they said they knew where it was already. To which I was told they were just confirming. Two days later a new person called wanting the same information. At that point I was told it was not lost as it had been scanned the day before and until it was not scanned for seven days it was not lost. I asked if you are scanning it how is it that you need a description as you have it if you can scan it. But wait now the system does weird things at times but I was assured it would be located and delivered in the next couple days. The next day I get notification on the tracking site that it has cleared customs and an agent calls to tell me it has finally cleared customs. What??? Wait you told me it had already cleared. Now they say it will deliver soon. Guess we will see if this information is any more reliable than all previous info. Good times. Rolling Eyes
Post #1024218 10th Feb 2024 4:53pm
ODPA

United States 
Let the saga continue. Exactly one month to the day the final of the four packages has arrived. I would be excited except FedEx lost almost everything in the package. There are six total mounting feet and associated mounting hardware. All gone except one center section of the mounting feet. Box might as well have been empty. Honestly I thought it was at first. Given the Prospeed customer service so far I am not worried just a pain for all to have to make it right. So the wait starts again.
Post #1024570 13th Feb 2024 2:37am
stevemfr

France 
Banging Head 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
Post #1025920 25th Feb 2024 2:43pm
ODPA

United States 
The final box finally arrived and all was there and good. So I was finally able to complete the install. First step was getting the mounting feet mounted which consists of three sections per side. The front two bolts under the ditch finisher have to be removed which are the dreaded loctite bolts into rivnuts. I went slow and used a micro torch to heat them which worked out great. All four came out fine. Sealant and spacers applied and mounting pucks inserted into factory rails made for a secure base on both sides.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Following the mounting hardware install it was time to put the rack on top. I had no help so I used a rope and pulley to hoist the rack up on one side. Then I lifted the other side up manually and set it on the roof mounts. Slowly slid it into place while lowering the rope down until the rack was in place. Worked perfect. You can still see the rope attached on the left side.

Click image to enlarge

Attached the rack to the mounts with provided hardware measuring to ensure it was in the correct location. All the bolts go through the square brackets which clamp to the rack then the bolt extend through a slot in the mount that is secured with a washer and nut. There are ten of these five per side.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Finally installed the aero front parts into the rack mounting locations. Did not get good pictures of this but here is just before and then the finished product.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Overall I am impressed with the rack. Very sold and well built. I drove with it mounted before I put the aero front on just so I could hear the difference which was noticeably different. The aero front makes a big difference in reducing wind noise. I do have the fabric roof so it is noisier to start but is not bad even on the freeway at 75 mph.
Post #1026222 28th Feb 2024 1:59am
Moo

Ukraine 
Looks good. Thumbs Up

I’m impressed with the work in progress to hide the colour…. Wink Laughing Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1026223 28th Feb 2024 2:22am
ODPA

United States 
Haha thanks. Very Happy
Post #1026227 28th Feb 2024 5:20am
ODPA

United States 
Now that the rack is done I could finally get the lights mounted. Four Baja Design LP6 Pro LED light pods. Outer two are driving combo and the inside 2 are spot. Should make a nice mix of light once completed. All that is left is the connection to the SPod I just ran out of time for today. Did test out the rack too when I climbed on top to hook up the lights. Very stable and the floor insert made for a nice platform.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1027325 8th Mar 2024 8:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>