Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre Views
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
BigMike wrote:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5453.html?highlight=grabber+at2

Turned out this wasn't a one off. In discussions with various suppliers, they had seen similar issues with the sidewalls, all denied by continental. One no longer supplies them after the number of issues their customers had with them. And continental handle complaints VERY poorly indeed, there is absolutely no admission of fault no matter what. I'd never have them again.

Are General Grabbers made by Continental then?!

Use Contis (SC3s) on my road car and they are brilliant.

Their MTB tyres are a bit cack (but pricey) though!

Those Duratracs look tasty - not seen them before.

Stevie - maybe people get sick of them on road?! They are very strong - some kind of triple sidewall I think, but maybe a step too far for most? The 90 we had sported the less durable (but tasty looking) SVX style alloys - tough tyres, weaker wheels!

Plenty of tread on our TRs but might try something different once they need replacing. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #98035 4th Nov 2011 11:26am
scottish110

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Anyone ever tried Kumho KL71 MT ??
Post #100034 15th Nov 2011 10:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ken

United Kingdom 
Just had 5 land on my workshop floor

Was going to fit them but they are directional so a spare is a PITA
Post #100037 15th Nov 2011 10:49am
scottish110

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
ken wrote:
Just had 5 land on my workshop floor

Was going to fit them but they are directional so a spare is a PITA

Ah i didn't know that.. cheers ken Thumbs Up
Post #100042 15th Nov 2011 11:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 
Nice tyres, used them on my Defender 110, just be carefull in the snow and ice. Andy.

www.ajstyres.co.uk 01737 241370

Junction 8 M25 Surrey.
Post #100049 15th Nov 2011 11:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
scottish110 wrote:
Anyone ever tried Kumho KL71 MT ??

I have 285/75x16 Kumho KL71s on my DC. Very good mannered tyre on the road, quite supple, give a good ride. Rather prone to wandering on white lines and HGV ruts (but that is probably more down to the width than the tyre per se). At the time they went on, it was a toss-up between BFG M/T or Kumho KL71, and there were no BFGs to be had for love nor money at the time.

Compared to the 265/75x16 BFG M/T KM1s I run on my Disco 2 I have to say that I don't think the KL71s are as good in mud, nor snow and ice, as the BFGs, although they are very good (better than most of the rest) and they have had very good write-ups and have been voted best mud tyre of the epoch (or something similar) by one of the comics.

The directionality of the KL71s is a small pain, since it means that the spare stands a chance of being the wrong way round (though statistically the majority of punctures are on the n/s, so it makes sense to fit the tyre for n/s running) and also means that you cannot swap the wheels round to even up wear. That being said, on the Defender they seem to be wearing very evenly indeed, both side-to-side and front-to-back, so it's not really an issue.

The KL71s have now done approx 25k miles and are around about half worn, so I expect them to last about 50k miles in total. By contrast, the last set of BFG M/T KM1s on the Disco lasted an astonishing 100k miles and had at least 5mm of tread when taken off. I don't think that BFG KM2s last as long as KM1s from what I hear, so probably more comparable with the Kumhos.

I am intending in the near future to replace the KL71s with BFG M/T KM2s (mainly because my experiences with BFG tyres on the Disco have made me a BFG fan), so if anyone is interested in a set of four half worn (~8mm tread remaining) and one brand new unused KL71 let me know - I'd probably be looking for about £150 for the five. I have heard that BFGs are again in short supply, until the next batch is made, which may postpone the change.
Post #100058 15th Nov 2011 12:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123