↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2010 Puma 90 clunk when changing gears
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
blackwolf wrote:
Unless you are paying someone and are very tight for money, it is a false economy to keep the transfer and main gearboxes bolted together when doing this job. One of the main weaknesses of the Puma transmission the output adaptor shaft splined coupling between the two gearboxes, and it would be pretty daft not to inspect it whilst you have the transmission out. Separating the two boxes also makes them much easier to handle, so really it is what the young folk of today would call a win/win situation.

I have replaced my clutch several times (it is a Puma, after all) and it needs doing again, and every time have done it outside on my tarmac driveway (which is a pain since you have to use a board under the jack so it doesn't sink in the tarmac) working on my own. It is really not difficult, but does require a certain amount of care since dropping either box on your noggin or other squashy bits will cause injury, possibly life changing, and could damage the gearboxes of course. The first time I used a trolley jack, subsequently I bought a transmission jack since it is better suited (it has a wider stance and a flat plate which can be tilted in two planes to make alignment easier). It is very helpful to obtain (or fabricate) the LR special tool for lifting LT230s, this bolts onto the bottom cover plate and provides a flat and level surface for the jack to lift. It is pricy to buy but dead simple to make.

The R380/LT230 assembly is easy to remove as a single lump, and there is a similar tool available to allow the complete transmission to be safely jacked (again pricy to buy but easy to copy). There is, unfortunately, no equivalent for the MT82/LT230 combination, which is another argument for splitting them. There is no off-the-shelf bracket for jacking the MT82, but most transmission jacks are designed to accommodate gearbox-shaped objects so this is not usually a problem.

So in summary, I think you would be daft not to split the LT230 and MT82 on any Ford-engined Defender, it is entirely possible for one person to do a clutch change outside without a lift and on their own. and using a transmission jack makes it much easier to control the parts you are removing or refitting. I also completely agree that buying the proper extractor for the spigot bearing on the Duratorq engine is worthwhile, it will help prevent swearing, personal injury, mood-swings, and other likely side-effects.

Just my opinion of course, other opinions are available! Very Happy

hi, you don't make any mention of the front pipe... I had to remove mine anyway ,but im curious to know whether the box can be dropped with it in place on the 2.2..
the manuals ive read all talk about removing it to do the clutch
Post #1007734 15th Sep 2023 5:31pm
andy63

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'll add a few photos of the bits and bobs I did👍

Click image to enlarge
Post #1007737 15th Sep 2023 5:42pm
tristanpowter

Step by step guide?!
Thanks for all the help above - going to attempt to replace the MT82 with LOF adapter and fit LOF Clutch at same time myself on the barn floor!

Does anyone know if there is a step by step guide any where to do this?! I'm ok with most mechanical jobs but this is a step above anything I've done so far. Have a full set of tools including trolley jack but may invest in a transmission jack to help drop it out.

Any pointers be much appreciated!
Post #1010635 9th Oct 2023 3:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you search the forum you will find that the official workshop manual is available for download, and that will be your best bet. There is nothing particularly difficult about the job (it really is just basic spannering) but there is quite a lot to do.
Post #1010638 9th Oct 2023 4:04pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
On this forum there are also a lot of threads on how to remove the transfer box only and the gearbox, with a lot of tips and tricks and things to watch out for. Example: using long studs to help install the transfer case back to adaptor housing.

On the topic of installing the TC back on, very important thing to note is that not all bolts are of equal length, and putting a long bolt in the wrong place will bind the intermediate gears. I have opted to replace these bolts with studs, glued and screwed to the correct depth in the transfer case.

Make sure you have a good quality and hefty puller to pull the adaptor female spline cup from the gearbox to replace the adapter shaft assembly. I know that the Ford manual calls for very high tightening torque for the female spline cup bolt, then back off and re tighten to the correct spec. This is to ensure that the cup has seated all the way on the mainshaft splines as they are interference fit. But probably you cannot do that with a LOF output shaft, so should follow the LOF installation procedure. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1010647 9th Oct 2023 4:51pm
andy63

Re: Step by step guide?!
tristanpowter wrote:
Thanks for all the help above - going to attempt to replace the MT82 with LOF adapter and fit LOF Clutch at same time myself on the barn floor!

Does anyone know if there is a step by step guide any where to do this?! I'm ok with most mechanical jobs but this is a step above anything I've done so far. Have a full set of tools including trolley jack but may invest in a transmission jack to help drop it out.

Any pointers be much appreciated!

its still fairly fresh in my mind and you will see from above posts that I dropped the two boxes out using a crane, but installed them individually because combined they are just to heavy..
most points have been made , but I mentioned it above and im still unclear about the answer, so ill mention it again...if you have the 2.2l with dpf, and the front pipe has to be removed to drop the gearbox, then there is even more work involved, as the only way the dpf can be removed is to raise the engine and getting to the engine mounts is a pain involving even more bits requiring removal.
it has been suggested it may be possible to drop the box without removing the front pipe but not had a definitive answer on that yet..the manual suggests you do need to , and because I was changing the exhaust anyway I did remove the front pipe..
good luck anyway
Post #1010671 9th Oct 2023 8:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12