↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Am I being unreasonable?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
walfy

Am I being unreasonable?
I have a new Defender, collected in mid Jan this year.

On 7th June it broke down on the motorway. Called the nice lady to be informed that because I was stuck on the motorway, I was a priority and would be recovered within the hour. Shortly after received a text from recovery company giving a lead time to recovery of 3hours. But they turned up after 2 hours, so I should be greatful
As I was driving to a client (I'm self employed) I opted to be taken to the nearest dealer not my preferred dealer. I'd made the incorrect assumption that I would be in and out of the dealership within 1/2hour so I could continue my journey to my client.
Arrive at dealership, all service staff were in a meeting so I just knocked on the door, introduced myself and said I am expected, can I get my loan car and be on my way. After 5 mins, the meeting finished and someone dealt with me. Yes Mr Walfy, we know you need a loan car and the system says you have one allocated but not a reg number. So we don't know what car to give you.
Please bear with us while we sort it. After 10 mins they come and find me. Yes we have a Defender for you but it's at another dealership an hour away.
Not a problem I said, I'll drink coffee and eat your nice biscuits while I wait for it to be delivered.
Sorry thats not how it works, we'll book you a taxi to get you to the dealersahip. We'll call it now.
So I go back to reception and wait, read some magazines and watch the videos, after an hour I go back to staff member and ask about my taxi. Are you still here Mr Walfy? We thought you'd be gone by now. Let us call the taxi firm and we'll get back to you. After 5 mins they come back, sorry taxi is stuck in traffic coming across town. (you can walk from the centre of town to dealership in less that 45 mins.
So after being told it'lll be here in a few minutes I settle back into reception.
45 mins later I ask again about my taxi. To the look of horror on their faces.
They call another taxi firm and the taxi arrived in 15 mins.
Get to the other dealership, I'm in and out with a coffee and biscuits in less than 20 mins.

So after my initial call to LR asking for recovery at 0730, I collect my loan car at 1530.

So no chance of making my monthly meeting with client, so I'm now down £500. Not impressed. And no chance of rescheduling.

Roll forward to 13th June, ring dealership for an update. Get a workshop manager?? not sure who I spoke to. But the conversation went like,

Me, My car was recovered to you last week, can I have an update.

Them, yes, whats the reg number

Me give them the number and description

Them, Oh we're glad you called, we do have your car but no idea why

Me. So no one thought to call me to find out?

Them. But were glad you called.
Me ok, heres the reason you have it, gave them a comprehensive description of faults

16th June

Call dealership for update, sorry person dealing with your vehicle is unavaialbe, we'll get them to call you back.
Just before closing time I get an email which said that diagnostics had been started but no conclusion and that email was the preferred way to contact them. If I wanted updates then to email back and they would call me early the next week.

21st June

Call at 1350 for update, sorry, person dealing with your car is at lunch, I'll get them to call you when they get back

I wait until 1600 for an update, nothing so I call back. only to be told the person dealing with my car is now with a customer. They'll call when they finish.

I call again at 1655, finally get to speak to the person dealing with my car, to be told, it's going back into the workshop tomorrow. I ask why it's been in, out and going back in. What is wrong with it? What parts are needed? When will the parts be there.

To be told, I don't know why it was out of the workshop, I don't have a status on the repair.

So I gave them until midday tomorrow to have a definitive answer for me.

The main reason, it's booked into Hunters Prestige for some bits early next week and I need to let them know if I'm not going to be able to make it.

Is it just me or is this service completely pants? If it was an old car I could understand but it's 5 months old. And the customer service from this dealership is beyond a joke

How do I find the contact details for the dealer principle? Is LR customer care still a thing? 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #997041 21st Jun 2023 6:06pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Thanks for the story, I'm sorry for your trouble but it is nicely written. You would think that Land Rover - defender company whatever they call themselves would want their loaner back and your car out of their shop ..

What was the breakdown, may I ask?

I once bought a new car once. What a hassle, had to go back to the garage 3 times in the first month (Toyota). Much easier to buy a reasonably new used car, have someone else deal with all the niggles. Also allows me to do my own maintenance, much easier than all this garage hassle.
Post #997044 21st Jun 2023 6:31pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Usual standard of crappy service from car dealers I’m afraid - certainly similar to what I have experienced. Make a lot of noise and escalate your complaint, it’s the only way to get meaningful progress.

I had to do it several times, most notably when they pretended to have fixed something but hadn’t actually bothered. Called them out on it with the DP present and cue one very sheepish service manager, a written apology and compensation for my time.

I still wouldn’t trust them to know which way round to sit on a lavatory frankly, so as soon as mine is out of warranty it’ll not go back there!
Post #997045 21st Jun 2023 6:54pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
I don't think it's too bad that you were in a courtesy vehicle the same day, after turning up at a random dealership unannounced with a broken down vehicle.

They were likely pulled out with work and had no vehicle to give you (when l booked mine in for a recall l had to wait two months for an appointment with a courtesy vehicle)

Then they found you a vehicle but called a taxi that never turned up. Thats not want you want, but not their fault. l am sure they didn't do it on purpose!

l broke down in my 2005 Defender in the middle of town, it took four hours for the RAC to arrive and then it wasn't an engineer it was just a contractor sent to recover the vehicle.

People think that dealers have an endless supply of courtesy vehicles but they don't. Eventually someone who turns up at their door with a broken down vehicle will be the one after they've loaned their last vehicle.

With regards to the repair, they'll have to find a technician to deal with it and they'll all be booked up with work.

if you've got a Defender on loan, just leave them
to it, they'll call you when yours is ready. Look at it this way, the longer you have their car the less miles yours will do.

Last edited by lightning on 21st Jun 2023 9:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #997057 21st Jun 2023 9:21pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
As has been said, the issue is that ‘technicians’ work on the cars, not mechanics. They plug the car into a diagnostics computer and if it doesn’t tell them which part to replace to fix the error, more often than not, they bumble around taking an age to solve the issue (or not!) and usually based on reviewing all the known faults in the AD info system.

As for the poor customer service, it really is par for the course. I had a laughable experience with another ‘premium’ manufacturer earlier this year, where a car I purchased (used) 4-months before, went in for a service. Car went in, driven into the building over ramps that scan the tyres, etc, they do the fancy inspection of it in a clean room environment before letting you leave.

Next day I get the call, service done BUT they have found various things, one of which is an issue which they feel needs to be rectified and the inference is that no self respecting dealership would have sold the car to me with the issue (upshot is £2k+). When asked where the car came from, I was happy to inform that it was their sister branch. Cue embarrassment, thankfully no back peddling that it wasn’t an issue, but it did take pressure from both myself, and the service manager where my car was, to get the selling dealership to pay for it.

Customer service from car dealers has deteriorated, imho, in the past decade. It used to be easy to have a relationship with one sales person and you would build that rapport and buy from them over many years - good service and decent deals. Now, and this is not my theory but have been told by two people at a management level in UK wide national auto groups, the push is to decrease sales teams and automated the sales process. Push it online, avoid costly overheads of dealerships, including staff and have regional hubs to offer test drives (but even those are being discouraged) and let customer order the car online and collect it, or have it delivered to their home, when it is ready. Just like automated checkouts in supermarkets, banks, restaurants, etc.

On that note, recently took my daily driver into a main dealer and the entire service process was automated - one person at the dealership to point customer to the terminal where they logged their car in and dropped the keys into the terminal that accepted the booking. Got chatting with the chap and he said the dealership had reduced the service advisors from ten to 2 and the two worked shifts standing beside the machines, helping people who couldn’t work out what to do.

No surprise that service is so poor.

Upside, enjoy putting miles on their loan car, rather than your own.

Last edited by Mr Fox on 22nd Jun 2023 9:42am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #997059 21st Jun 2023 9:23pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
That’s why they call Land Rover “off roaders” Whistle

I’ve been managing fleet operations for over 30years and my experience with many LR dealers mirrors yours, and this doesn’t make it acceptable but LR are one of many Franchised dealers that are just as bad. Banging Head Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #997060 21st Jun 2023 9:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lightning

United Kingdom 
Remember back in the day when loyal customers were respected by the dealerships

l was in the VW dealer just before covid, an old boy was buying a new Golf, (l overheard the conversation)

"I've had six off you now" the old boy said to the salesman

After he walked off the salesman said to his mate "what a to$$er" and made a signal with his hand.
Charming.

l still bought my VW Up GTi. Fortunately the girl l dealt with was much nicer, at least to my face. She even said hello to me when our paths crossed at a supermarket, l hadn't recognised her out of her work environment.
Post #997061 21st Jun 2023 9:35pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
The service Dealers give is generally poor.
When you enter a dealer it’s like a time warp… “ take a seat, drink coffee, we will be with you shortly”
I’ve experienced it..and I’m through with it…nobody cares.

Here is the email for the Land Rover Customer Experiences Team

lradvice@jaguarlandrover.com

You can try…but don’t hold your breath

Clemmo Thumbs Up Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #997065 21st Jun 2023 9:50pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Copy and paste your story all over the Land Rover Facebook page, and the dealers Facebook page. This really Censored off the marketing and PR people, they throw their toys around and will get quick attention from customer services. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #997066 21st Jun 2023 10:12pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Do you think doing that will change anything? All it will do is reduce staff morale even further.

l don't see any sectors now where customers are valued. lt's all
about the sales, l work in consumer electronics and there's no customer service at all any more, once your appliance is out of warranty they don't care if you threaten never to darken their door again. The only way you can get anywhere is through threat of legal action, and you have to be convincing because they know most won't bother to follow up their threat.
Post #997070 21st Jun 2023 11:32pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Use linked in. Find CEO and dealer principle then email both together. I’ve found it highly effective ……… Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #997072 22nd Jun 2023 12:40am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Clemmo wrote:
The service Dealers give is generally poor.
When you enter a dealer it’s like a time warp… “ take a seat, drink coffee, we will be with you shortly”
I’ve experienced it..and I’m through with it…nobody cares.

Here is the email for the Land Rover Customer Experiences Team

lradvice@jaguarlandrover.com

You can try…but don’t hold your breath

Clemmo Thumbs Up

Sadly the Land Rover Customer Services have become accustomed to this as it’s appears to be the norm, so don’t expect much sympathetic support from them. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #997074 22nd Jun 2023 2:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lightning

United Kingdom 
l am not sure what the big deal is with this one. The O/P turned up unannounced at a dealer with a broken down Defender.
The dealer took his vehicle in, and arranged a courtesy vehicle, another Defender.

The vehicle was at another dealer so they arranged a taxi. lt never turned up so they arranged another. The O/P is now in a courtesy vehicle and his will get repaired as soon as the dealer can get a tech on it and find the fault.
Post #997090 22nd Jun 2023 8:29am
Moo

Ukraine 
The issue is the poor level of communication and action and the hassle the OP went through. Not unreasonable in my view. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #997091 22nd Jun 2023 8:33am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
I has issues with my approved used Disco 5, I say "issues" - they wouldnt respect the free incontrol upgrade for CarPlay... I ended up dealing with a chap called Andrew at lradvice@jaguarlandrover.com - very helpful and did all he could to get a resolution.
Post #997093 22nd Jun 2023 8:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>