Home > Technical > Defender 110/130 second row storage solutions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Defender 110/130 second row storage solutions
Afternoon all.

So, the plan for Miffy (her thread: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53859.html) is to do a heap of touring around Europe and further afield. We are planning to undertake the trip(s) in about 2 years time once my wife has completed her veterinary course, as a Whoo Hooo congrats on being a vet tour Rolling Eyes Any excuse... Thumbs Up

We would like to take our two collies with us on the tour and their dual Trans K9 travel crate takes up almost all of the space in the rear of Miffy. It sits on top of a double drawer system. This being the case we need to convert the second row area into enough storage for out 45L Waeco and all of our clothes and supplies. There will be no need for the second row seats. We would be mobile for at least six weeks at a time and for the most-part camping overnights in the OzTent that will be up on the roof rack when in transit.

A quick scan through the forums search facility and I have found one thread on this:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic60175.html

But, over time some of the linked photos have now become lost. Therefore I am sticking a call out to any of you who have created storage in your second row area to post up some inspirational photos and thoughts.

At the moment I am thinking of removing the seat box and creating a new floor and storage system the incorporates a drop down fridge slide that comes out of the door way, but high up so to maximise the storage underneath.

I haven't put much thought in to materials yet, but I do very much like the plastic drawer system I have from Animal Transit boxes. It is so light and so strong, so perhaps that is the way to go.

I think the first step is to map out the space as it is right now, unless someone has that to hand as well?!?! Thumbs Up

No idea whose this is, but for inspiration...

Edit: google search popped out measurements for a 110... It is a start...

Click image to enlarge
Post #999505 10th Jul 2023 4:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oooo fridge slide in a Defender second row...

Click image to enlarge

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175743025522?va...asQAvD_BwE
Post #999512 10th Jul 2023 5:07pm
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
There’s nothing more annoying than a too high fridge…! It’s amazing how many times you go to it during the day, used to have mine sat up on a frame for the seats, but recently swapped to a lower level, I’ll take some pics in the morning.. mines a 130 that I’ve modded a lot, how wide is the fridge, how far back is the driver/ passenger seat going to be?…
Cheers alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #1001043 20th Jul 2023 10:56pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Deleted post.
Thought it was a 130 crew Cab. Confused
Post #1001061 21st Jul 2023 7:48am
alwoodley72

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is what I’ve done in the 130 for our trip to the alps. Had the fridge higher as said before but this works much better, modded the door to open to 90 degrees. As it’s lower there is now room above on my bulkhead for the shelves which have proved invaluable and made a great speaker box at the top too! My fridge is quite big for 3 of us, so you might get away with it higher.. I can measure if you like?…
Cheers
Alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
79 911 sc
Post #1001159 21st Jul 2023 8:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
alwoodley72 wrote:
There’s nothing more annoying than a too high fridge…! It’s amazing how many times you go to it during the day, used to have mine sat up on a frame for the seats, but recently swapped to a lower level, I’ll take some pics in the morning.. mines a 130 that I’ve modded a lot, how wide is the fridge, how far back is the driver/ passenger seat going to be?…
Cheers alex

Yes I can absolutely imagine how irritating a high fridge would be. Ours is a Waeco 45L, it is an old thing but it keeps plugging on regardless.

I was pondering that perhaps having the fridge in the centre of the second row so it is accessible from between the front seats might work, but... That could Laos be incredibly irritating at the same time having to lean across to access it...
Post #1001228 22nd Jul 2023 11:29am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Nidge wrote:
Deleted post.

If you have photos from a crew cab that'll do for inspiration. Not a lot of difference between them when there is a cargo barrier in place.
Post #1001229 22nd Jul 2023 11:30am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
alwoodley72 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is what I’ve done in the 130 for our trip to the alps. Had the fridge higher as said before but this works much better, modded the door to open to 90 degrees. As it’s lower there is now room above on my bulkhead for the shelves which have proved invaluable and made a great speaker box at the top too! My fridge is quite big for 3 of us, so you might get away with it higher.. I can measure if you like?…
Cheers
Alex

Love this, nice and simple. I was measuring up the other evening and yes the door modification is a must to get the slide to work.

What have you done on that back wall? Are those kilner jars on shelves?
Post #1001230 22nd Jul 2023 11:32am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
geobloke wrote:
Nidge wrote:
Deleted post.

If you have photos from a crew cab that'll do for inspiration. Not a lot of difference between them when there is a cargo barrier in place.

The significant difference is that on a 130 the box structure under the seats can be removed leaving a flat floor and useful space. On a 110 the box is full of chassis and can't be removed.

A fridge will be around 6" higher on a 110 as a result.
Post #1001244 22nd Jul 2023 12:17pm
alwoodley72

Yep I’ve a nice flat floor to play with, yours is limited to the footwell in the 110, but your fridge is narrower so might not have to lift it too much..
The shelves house one of those units with plastic roll forward tubs the type you get in work trucks, very handy for all camping bits and bobs and you can take them out too..
I go a set of sortimo sliding drawers and adapted that for the fridge, about 20% cost of a fancy fridge slide!..

Click image to enlarge

A new use for the shelf on a hot ride down from Chamonix to the lake!..
Cheers
Alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
79 911 sc
Post #1001332 22nd Jul 2023 9:38pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I can't find it now but, I've seen a fridge mounted on a swing out system that arched, so as you pulled it out it swung dowards too, to ease access.

Have you thought about dog crates in the middle, leaving rear for storage? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #1001334 22nd Jul 2023 9:58pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
geobloke wrote:
Nidge wrote:
Deleted post.

The significant difference is that on a 130 the box structure under the seats can be removed leaving a flat floor and useful space. On a 110 the box is full of chassis and can't be removed.

A fridge will be around 6" higher on a 110 as a result.

Good point Thumbs Up I did know this having partially disassembled Miffy to replace that 2nd row crossmember. Still, it is good to see other conversions as you may get inspiration from them or they may have thought of something that I have not... yet... Rolling Eyes
Post #1001485 24th Jul 2023 9:02am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
alwoodley72 wrote:
Yep I’ve a nice flat floor to play with, yours is limited to the footwell in the 110, but your fridge is narrower so might not have to lift it too much..
The shelves house one of those units with plastic roll forward tubs the type you get in work trucks, very handy for all camping bits and bobs and you can take them out too..
I go a set of sortimo sliding drawers and adapted that for the fridge, about 20% cost of a fancy fridge slide!..

Click image to enlarge

A new use for the shelf on a hot ride down from Chamonix to the lake!..
Cheers
Alex

Alex, that is one comfy looking pup Thumbs Up
Post #1001486 24th Jul 2023 9:03am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
JOW240725 wrote:
I can't find it now but, I've seen a fridge mounted on a swing out system that arched, so as you pulled it out it swung dowards too, to ease access.

Have you thought about dog crates in the middle, leaving rear for storage?

I am glad you said this because I thought I was going mad, having definitely seen the same thing. But can I find it??? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I have thought about dog crates in the middle, in fact it is a really good plan. There is nothing pre-made to fit the second row seats, which is in itself not a problem, but perhaps as you say it might be the better solution here.

I could put airline crates in the 2nd row, but it is not a great solution, functional, but not great.

Plus these guys need and deserve their comfort and safety Rolling Eyes or at least that is what the other half says is important Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1001491 24th Jul 2023 9:15am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I still can't find the one I saw but a search has found these...

https://www.drifta.com.au/product/drop-down-fridge-slides/
https://www.clearviewmirrorsusa.com/travel...asy-slide/

The one I saw I think was in the back of a new Defender and they just pulled it and it slide out and swung downwards in one movement, but can't quite recall where I saw it Confused James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #1001495 24th Jul 2023 9:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>