Home > Puma (Tdci) > Water outlet elbow seal 2.4 puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Wethering Landy

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Water outlet elbow seal 2.4 puma
Hey Friends

Does anyone know where to get a new seal for the cylinder head coolant outlet elbow on a Defender Puma 2.4 Tdci?
I can but the whole unit but only need the seal.
The workshop manual refers to replacing the seal but I have no idea of where to get one and can find no part number.

Any help would be great!

Cheers
Post #990338 25th Apr 2023 8:12pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
LR004613….. but it could be part #3 from this:
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/l...ostat.html 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #990345 25th Apr 2023 8:44pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I think the OP is referring to the item #5 which does have an O ring shown separately but not listed as a separate part.

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...sing_44998

#5 is listed as Coolant Outlet Pipe -LR004463.

The cheapest I can see as a gen LR new part is £29.45 inc postage https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFE...ect=mobile

So I would remove the O ring, measure internal diameter, external diameter and material diameter and look for a generic O ring that matches it

Alternatively see if ford do the O ring separately as it’s a ford part. It will likely have the ford part number as part of the casting on the metal coolant outlet elbow.

I think the ford part numbers for the metal coolant elbow are 6C10-8250AA and 6C1Q-8250-AA.
Post #990356 25th Apr 2023 9:37pm
MatLandy

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
When I recently changed the exhaust camshaft and timing chain on my 2.4, I also bumped into this o-ring not being easily available as a standalone item. In the end I re-use the old one as it was in good condition so couldn’t understand why a new one was absolutely required. No leaks so far.

/Mat
Post #990397 26th Apr 2023 8:46am
Dinnu

So often, O rings change their profile from round to a more squarish shape, and loose their ability to seal reliably. If caught in a pinch, I wind a couple of PTFE thread sealant tape inside the groove where the O ring sits, and that expands the O ring just enough to make a good seal again. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #990481 27th Apr 2023 5:05am
hornet

W706722S300

Last edited by hornet on 27th Apr 2023 9:47am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #990494 27th Apr 2023 7:26am
Wethering Landy

Thanks everyone. I think the tape sounds a great plan - but I decided that as I had removed this once last summer already it was to much of a risk to have water in the oil.
The part number Ihnh listed is the correct one and I found one on a Transit parts website for £20.

Here is the link if you are interested...

https://tpuk.net/land-rover-defender-ford-...4-mk7.html

The original seal did look ok and tape would probably work. If the part was £60 I would probably do the tape.

Excellent advice from all as usual which is why this forum is great.

Thanks
Post #990495 27th Apr 2023 7:34am
Dinnu

I find that when I use the tape trick, the O ring last longer. Probably because the O ring is already deformed, so cannot deform further Rolling with laughter 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #990497 27th Apr 2023 7:40am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
hornet wrote:
W706722S300

Nice find Hornet... Thumbs Up that ford part number is also shown as 1098190, and a search brings up more results on that part, albeit’s still circa £8 for an O ring !!!!
Post #990543 27th Apr 2023 11:59am
Wethering Landy

Agreed - nice find and thanks for sharing. Yes I agree £8 for an O ring seems a lot if the new complete bit is only £25. I should have waited and save a tenner!

Once I get the new one I will compare the old against new and add an image showing what they look like side by side so others can compare in the future and decide if a new O ring is a good idea or not.

This weekend I am hoping to get my Landy re-built after a hydraulic lifter on the Cam Cradle disintegrated. Quite a big job but it has actually been a fun project.

I have found all bar one tiny piece of metal fragment - which I am hoping has fallen through the oil return port into the sump.

So on a separate subject - does anyone know if the oil return port on the exhaust side of the cylinder head returns straight to the sump?

I fished about with a magnet in the sump area and brought out 1 piece so I am assuming it does.
My only fear is that it could end up on the piston which is obviously bad. I looked with a bore scope but it was all so dark and gloomy I could not see much.

Looking at Keswick90 Nigel's video here:

&t=731s

It doesn't look possible because the head gasket would not allow it to transfer to the top of a piston.

Any thoughts on this?
If it is in the sump - Is it safe in the sump? It is a bit about 2mm long x 3mm wide (if it is in one piece)

BTW Keswick Nigel is a genius and he deserves some real credit for his videos. If I could buy the man a beer I would!

Thanks everyone and I welcome your thoughts on the above.
Post #990566 27th Apr 2023 2:58pm
Wethering Landy

I just got home and the part has arrived. Unfortunately it does not have the seal fitted (boo!) so I wasted my time trying to be clever.

Looking closer at the part number W706722S300 - this shows up on Ebay but the vehicles listed as being suitable for do not include the 2.4 Tdci.

hornet - are you sure this fits the 2.4 Tdci?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255817695469

So I can get on, I think I will use the PTFE tape as this seems the easiest fix.

Any help on the above question is gratefully received.
Post #990578 27th Apr 2023 4:06pm
Wethering Landy

Update 2
I just called a guy on Ebay who had the part listed and he said it will not fit the Defender Tdci engine.
It fits TDci engines up to 2006 - not after.
Post #990579 27th Apr 2023 4:12pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
That’s not good news, so the search goes on.

Ps- your issue with the engine, sounds similar to the one MatLandy had https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic86994.html
Post #990581 27th Apr 2023 4:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Wethering Landy wrote:
This weekend I am hoping to get my Landy re-built after a hydraulic lifter on the Cam Cradle disintegrated.
So on a separate subject - does anyone know if the oil return port on the exhaust side of the cylinder head returns straight to the sump?
My only fear is that it could end up on the piston which is obviously bad. I looked with a bore scope but it was all so dark and gloomy I could not see much.
Any thoughts on this?
If it is in the sump - Is it safe in the sump? It is a bit about 2mm long x 3mm wide (if it is in one piece)
I welcome your thoughts on the above.

As far as I know the oil drain passages do drop straight to the sump. It should not be possible for fragments of the lifter to get into the bore, since they are in the oily space of the engine and (of course) there is no connection between the oil spaces and the fuel/air spaces except via the breather system. The chances of metal fragments making that journey are virtually nil.

That being said I would not be happy not knowing where the fragment is, and I would certainly drop the sum to try to find it. Worst case it could still do expensive damage in the sump, best case it sticks to the mag drain plug and is completely benign. The cost of a sump gasket and probably sump pan is not great compared to the cost of a destroyed engine.
Post #990586 27th Apr 2023 5:05pm
MatLandy

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
As Iahn suggested, very similar to what happened to mine (see https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic86994.html).

Be aware, there is no magnet integrated in the sump as standard on a Puma engine, so you can only rely on an aftermarket magnetic drain plug if you have one, and the oil filter to catch unwanted bits to wander around. Mind you, the magnetic drain plug is not a bullet proof thingy as it does not catch alloy swarf anyway. And the engine is made for a good part of alloy !

In my case I followed advice from here and swapped the oil pan for a new one. And I'm glad I did.
I also did 2 oil changes in a row once the engine was rebuilt (one after idling for a few mins, the other after driving for 20 mins), each time with a new oil filter, to make sure I got rid of all possible swarf in there. Also glad I did this.

Good Luck to you.

/Mat
Post #990631 27th Apr 2023 8:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>