↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Needles (presumably from a bearing) in engine oil !!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
MatLandy

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Needles (presumably from a bearing) in engine oil !!!!
Need the forum wisdom on this one ...

I just did an oil change on my 110 Puma 2.4 (2008, 118 000km). The previous one was done 4000km / 6 months ago - I keep a record of those things.
Anyway, I have a magnetic drain plug, and once removed, it had what looks to me like needles from a needle bearing on it Big Cry Where the hell is this coming from ??? Any advice on what should be my next course of action ???

A picture speaks a thousand words they say, so here you go:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Some more infos, which may or may not be related:
Last long journey with the Landy was just 2 weeks ago, to the Alps and back in Paris. On the motorway, and on the winding moutain roads, the Landy never missed a bit. However, and this is where it becomes interesting, on the morning of the return trip from the Alps, I started the Landy after being parked for a week with -1°C, the engine felt like it was running on 3 cylinders, rocking on its mount, shaking the whole truck. I drove slowly, not pushing it, and after 10 min, once warmed up a bit, it was back to normal.
I assumed at that time that I had either a faulty glow plug and/or a bad injector, and didn't give it much thought as anyway changing the injectors is on my to do list as a preventive measure. So, once back home, I first changed the 4 injectors with brand new Denso once (the old one were in a bad state, rusted ), new clamps, new strech bolts etc. All went well, I then used the BAS tool to code the injectors, high pressure pump reset and pilot correction learning. All good again. I went for a test drive, happy bunny, the engine runs much smoother than before, and pulls like a train, I definetly had at least one injector going bad. Did some more miles the next day, all good, and went on with the oil change, and found what you see on the pics above.

If anyone has any clue on what is failing and where in the engine, well, I'll be happy to hear

/Mat
Post #985181 11th Mar 2023 7:36pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
That’s enough swarf that can’t be ignored, unfortunately ☹️ 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #985183 11th Mar 2023 8:01pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I can’t think of any needle bearings in the engine, and the fact it is running so well is very odd.
Post #985194 11th Mar 2023 9:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Does the little end bearing on the gudgeon pin have rollers on a Puma, I can't remember?

Mind you if that was the case I'd expect the motor to be knocking.
Post #985200 11th Mar 2023 9:42pm
blackwolf

Answering my own question, apparently not. I'm struggling to think of any bearings which could dump rollers inside the engine.
Post #985202 11th Mar 2023 10:01pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Don’t turbos have some strange bearings in them? Plus lots of oil flowing past. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #985207 11th Mar 2023 11:14pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I believe the rollers on the rocker arms use needle bearings Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #985211 11th Mar 2023 11:38pm
cretesimon

Greece 
I believe to from one of the rocker arms had the same thing on a VW golf
Post #985220 12th Mar 2023 7:18am
MatLandy

ahaha interesting Rolling Eyes
appreciate all the insights so far Bow down

you mean "This?"

Click image to enlarge

In which case, still to be confirmed, it would mean that I just have to change the valve rocker arm housing (number 3 in below drawing, LR004443) and the Landy can be back on the road ? Or is there something else I am missing Question

Click image to enlarge

/Mat
Post #985222 12th Mar 2023 8:39am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If I was you I would remove the sump pan to see if there are any other metal particles in there. I think the sump pan also has a magnet, hence std sump plugs are not magnetic.

Removing the sump pan will require the fitting of a new one with new sealant but worth doing in my opinion. Ps once fitted coat new pan with chassis paint, then after a few weeks clean and coat with wax under-seal as they are thin and prone to rust.

I would also be concerned of swarf in oil pump, oil cooler and other parts of the engine. Others may be able to advise on how the engine and oil components can be flushed out to ensure no particles remain.

The oil filter, sump pan, magnet, and drain plug magnet hopefully caught them all but you need to check and flush as much of the engine as you can.

Even then once the engine is back together I would do another oil and filter change after running the engine for 10 mins to see if any particles are on your sump plug magnet.
Post #985257 12th Mar 2023 3:10pm
hornet

Re: Needles (presumably from a bearing) in engine oil !!!!
MatLandy wrote:
Need the forum wisdom on this one ...

I just did an oil change on my 110 Puma 2.4 (2008, 118 000km). The previous one was done 4000km / 6 months ago - I keep a record of those things.
Anyway, I have a magnetic drain plug, and once removed, it had what looks to me like needles from a needle bearing on it Big Cry Where the hell is this coming from ??? Any advice on what should be my next course of action ???
[...]

/Mat

1. What about the oil filter, what residues? Oil change without filter change should be avoided.
2. I would clarify the origin and number (!) of the needles beyond doubt and examine their potential sources and replace these (all).
3. Personally, I would not continue driving. Collateral damage would be pre-programmed.
Post #985264 12th Mar 2023 3:30pm
MatLandy

have been busy with family commitments the whole day, so no progress on the Landy, however this gives me some time to think (for once) and as I also have a busy week (again) I will not be able to touch it before next weekend at best. The plan is to remove the rocker cover, rocker arm and assess, replace damaged parts with new, put back together and see what happens.

Ianh, yes the sump will be removed to check for debris etc. however I was under the belief that one can reinstall if carefully removed, and not necessarily need a brand new one? Also good advice from you, once fixed and new parts in, to perform 2 oil changes in a row (with short idling in-between). thanks.

Hornet,
1- Sure, I always do the filter when I do and oil change. Although I did not went to that stage this time as I decided to stop immediately after finding the needles and swarf on the drain plug, and seek for advice on here first.
2- I am quite confident Angus_Beef and cretesimon pointed me in the right direction, should be one hydraulic lifter that has worked itself loose from the rocker arm, and got crushed by one of the camshaft, releasing its needles that I found in the sump. Now as to why this happen, I don't know yet. Found another post in the Australian forum that could very well be what is happening to me.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-chatt...2-4-a.html
3- Don't worry, I am not starting or driving it at all

Will keep you posted with any findings as and when I have the time to work on the truck.
In the meantime, any additional advice is appreciated.

/Mat
Post #985297 12th Mar 2023 7:53pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
You could, if very careful, potentially get the pan off without bending it... but given it’s a silicon seal not a solid gasket it’s very likely it will be slightly bent at best during removal. Also it’s likely suffering from some rust and therefore worth replacing as they do rust through and yours is circa 15 years old. Hence advice on painting and waxing new one.
Post #985303 12th Mar 2023 8:41pm
blackwolf

A 2008 vehicle may well have the sump that fouls the front propshaft. I'd fit a new one.
Post #985313 12th Mar 2023 9:25pm
MatLandy

My sump is the updated version, but will take your advice and source a new one.

/Mat
Post #985322 12th Mar 2023 10:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>