↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > R380 cooler install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Excellent Geobloke, thanks very much for such a strong reply. I’d read lots of other stuff, but hadn’t come across that other thread so that was handy too.

I have picked up a recon LR oil cooler adapter on eBay - “last one available” allegedly. I’m normally pretty wary of anything that says it’s been reconditioned on that platform, but this guy wrote up what he did and it seemed good enough. I absolutely agree on the point about UK temperatures and the benefits of a thermostat. I had also picked up that the R380 has a pump. In fact I remember looking at the big round fitting on the back of the gearbox when I had the transfer box out, and wondering what it was. Now I know.

Similarly having looked at your installation vs more “traditional” oil coolers I think the robust nature of the finned tube is appealing - less to worry about.

I can find double pass ones on eBay - from China, Poland, or the US - I just wonder if it’s worth the wait vs the one you’ve linked to? As I still have the passenger floor and transmission tunnel out after the ‘winter’ jobs this is an ideal time to do a thing like this, but I don’t want to add another month’s delay to getting the car back on the road.

Finally on the Roamerdrive - yep, I’m quite up to speed on the heat issues there. Because of a quick onset of bearing noise from the unit I have it off the car and in bits while I’m replacing all the bearings. While researching this, and with the thing apart I’ve decided just to get the extended sump and the rear half of the OD unit tapped for 3/8 NPT fittings. As you say, the next thing is to find a suitable, low-flow pump just to lift and trickle oil from the sump up to the back of the Roamerdrive, where the most vulnerable bearing is.

Well done on sourcing the LR adapter, I think it is the right choice for the UK. There are not many moving parts in the adapter and if it were me I would strip it down and rebuild it so I knew it was done correctly before fitting. I do not trust anything on eBay that says recon/refurb'd/rare.

I doubt the chineseium oil coolers have anything wrong with them and like you say they are probably all made in the same factory. If I was buying again I would buy a double pass cooler purely because there would be fewer connections to leak. There will be a difference in cost between the single and double pass coolers but it will not be too different.

I actually like the idea of an LT230 cooler and pump to feed up to the roamer drive. If I were doing it (when I do it) I would feed up to the upper filler grub screw and extract from the drain bung in the extended sump. Might as well use what is already there. A filter, pump (switched thermostatically via the temperature sender) and cooler in-line and bob's your uncle.... It is a good idea for a modification Thumbs Up
Post #987883 4th Apr 2023 12:33pm
PAT303

Australia 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Heaps of choices regarding thermostats https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172228406180?c...U5EALw_wcB
I'm going to fit one under the seat as per everyone else, one for the LT230 would also be a great idea.
Post #987967 5th Apr 2023 7:10am
donmacn

Well, believe it or not I’ve just ordered a dual pass cooler from Aus! Their delivery estimate was 23rd April - the one from Poland was 20 May. I assume they were just going to walk over with it!

The LT230 is more complex. I’m not actually focussing on cooling the TBox itself, which I think has probably proven itself the world over and certainly in situations which would be massively more challenging than anything I’ll subject it to.

My “perceived” issue is with the Roamerdrive. I say perceived because I don’t know with any certainty what caused my bearings to get so noisy, so quickly, but I’m assuming it’s heat. Roamerdrive themselves say that you need to be careful not to let it get too hot - but the temperature gauge they supply is intended for fitment in the LT230 sump - about as far away from the OD as it’s possible to be and still be in the same oil reservoir. So the thinking is to take oil from the sump and to plumb it in to the very back of the OD casing where the smallest bearing sits, but also the one with the most limited oil flow. Thermal cooling of the bearing would be a side benefit to simple lubrication. Heat stickers and the temp sensor would guide whether or not a cooler would be a benefit.

I’ve seen pics of someone in Aus. who has done just that, but your ambient temperatures are quite a bit higher than ours - or at least mine, in the nth of Scotland. But if I get the oil flow sorted out then adding a cooler would be simple to do afterwards. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #987993 5th Apr 2023 9:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12