↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Another reverse light upgrade option
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
DaveCNB

United States 
Another reverse light upgrade option
Powerful UK makes an excellent reverse light upgrade, but they have been sold out for awhile now.

I came across this other option that fits into that little empty spot just above the bumper on either side of the door. Found it online and took a chance and ordered one. Had my detailer install it today.

Click image to enlarge

Install took around 30 minutes each side (most of that was going slowly and carefully in removing the rear corner painted plastic trim panels, my detailer's shop got them off w/o any damage and only lost 1 clip, and none broke). Hooking up the actual lights and re-assembling took less than 5 minutes, could have done it faster but it's worth stopping to double check wiring placement and test the connections before reassembling.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It went pretty smoothly all in all. I would recommend getting a few spare/replacement body panel clips just in case you end up with some detaching/falling into the body work or breaking.

LOL the clips were $6/each at my dealership!! Crazy, I betcha you can find them cheaper online. I bought 3 and only had to use one, cheap insurance.

Note I disconnected the wires that send power to the surrounding red ring of LED's that correspond to the driving lights and brake lights as I only wanted the center/white reverse light to activate.

Here is a diagram of which wires provided power to what part of the module. Make sure you know what you're doing if you make modifications and double check the connections as the wire colors on your harness may be different.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

These modules put out about 4-6x the amount of light that the stock reverse lights do, makes a huge difference when backing up!

I would not recommend this modification if you're not comfortable popping off body panels and working w/ basic wiring (if you're modifying the light like I did and not just plugging it in and going w/ the ring of red LED's remaining hooked up).

If you're in Southern California USA, you can hit up my detailer http://www.ecoluxurydetail.com to get this installed professionally.
Post #985583 15th Mar 2023 12:33am
DaveCNB

United States 
Some more pictures
Sorry if the pictures are at different exposures, it's tricky to take a picture on a cell phone that is trying to adjust to different amounts of brightness coming from the rear lights in their various states but you get the idea.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'll try to get a picture of how it looks out the back of the car and the camera view with and w/ just the stock backup lights (I'll cover the new added lamps) and with both.

Subjectively when just looking at the backup camera screen, there is much better visibility from the camera when backing up in a dark place.
Post #985587 15th Mar 2023 6:23am
DAP2022

United Kingdom 
I think they look better than the Powerful ones

If they are the ones I am looking at from Rebel, they are a lot more expensive -£275.00 , is the buiid quality good

Thanks
Post #985596 15th Mar 2023 10:15am
Leeds Utd

Germany 
Hi Dave,

Where did you buy the actual light from ?

Mark
Post #985597 15th Mar 2023 10:23am
LR Nuts

wrong thread , sorry
Post #985606 15th Mar 2023 11:03am
pacatx

United States 
Leeds Utd wrote:
Hi Dave,

Where did you buy the actual light from ?

Mark

2nd this, I'd like to pick up a set of these also
Post #985641 15th Mar 2023 3:38pm
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
I’ve just purchased some of these from NDP (New Defender Parts). I’ve not fitted them yet but they look good quality.

NDP are based in Euxton, Lancashire. You can pick up from them if you’re local.

https://ndpautomotive.com/ 2019 Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography
2023 Defender 110 P400e X-Dynamic HSE - gone
2020 Defender P300 SE - gone

2019 Jaguar F-Pace SVR - gone
2013 SDV8 Autobiography - gone
2011 L322 TDV8 Vogue SE - gone
2006 L322 3.6 Vogue Se - gone
1999 P38 4.0 se - gone
199? Classic 3.5 - gone
Post #985651 15th Mar 2023 5:37pm
LR Nuts

Click image to enlarge
Post #985653 15th Mar 2023 6:02pm
DaveCNB

United States 
Build quality is quite good
Wish I'd taken more pictures of the lamps, the backs and the wiring harness before I installed them. Sorry forgot to do that. The build quality is quite solid, the lamps appear sealed and the wiring harnesses were very well done.

I found them on AliExpress....yeah, not my favorite place to get expensive stuff b/c sometimes you can get ripped off or end up with something really low quality (counterfeits and knock off's) and you essentially won't have any sort of warranty so buyer beware.

I was planning on modifying them from the start to disable the red led surround ring so not having a warranty wasn't an issue for me.

This is the seller that I got them from (this seller shipped quickly and had good communications):
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568049160..._shipto=US

You can find other listings if you look around AliExpress and eBay (pretty sure these are folks who have bought them from AE and are reselling as the prices seem to be higher on eBay).

Last edited by DaveCNB on 15th Mar 2023 7:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #985655 15th Mar 2023 6:36pm
DaveCNB

United States 
Some install pics
My detailer let me watch the install and help so it was kinda fun/educational.

It's been pouring rain hard the last couple of days here in California so it'll be a good test to see if they hold up. LOL that's my excuse for why the back of my Defender is so filthy : )

When we had the rear corner panels off to access the factory wiring harnesses/plugs, that internal space was pretty dry. The moisture you see is from some soapy solution spray we were using to make it easier to pull off the panels/get the clips to release (good tip, kept us from breaking anything).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is the trim piece for that little cubby hole where the light module goes

Click image to enlarge

There was a rub spot on the paint up top at the shoulder on both sides where the plastic panel rubs the paint. I'll be going back to put something there to protect the pain but check yours, might just be an area where there is rubbing on account of panels flexing.

Click image to enlarge

Left side panel removed, note the wire that with the pink connector, I think it is for the cell phone signal booster antenna. We were able to carefully disconnect it.

Click image to enlarge

The factory connector clips to the body work, once freed, the y harness that comes with the lights clips right inline, the small white connector goes to the lamp module itself. You can see that the harness is quite well done.

Click image to enlarge

The left side was a bit more cramped in terms of getting stuff jammed back in to get the panels back on.

Click image to enlarge

Lamp module in place, clips into where the original trim piece for the cubby hole went, it was a tiny bit loose but once the corner piece was re-installed everything snugged up.

Click image to enlarge

I'm glad I didn't try to do it all by myself b/c those corner panels took some convincing to remove and my detail guy has all the right plastic pry tools and a good feel for what was the right amount of force and how/where to pull.

YMMV depending on how brave/skilled you are than me : )
Post #985662 15th Mar 2023 7:22pm
haymeister

Japan 
Yep, even with using the trim removal tools those panels do need a hard tug Whistle

Interestingly, I didn't have the pink connector.
Mine is a MY22 (with no wifi hotspot option added), so perhaps it's a MY23/23.5 addition 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #985697 16th Mar 2023 1:23am
DaveCNB

United States 
Hmmm not sure. Ours is an early 2022 production X-Dynamic. We do have the in console wireless phone charger and someone said that with that feature there was a cell phone signal booster function as well.
Post #985698 16th Mar 2023 1:59am
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
I’ve just fitted mine and I did have the additional wire… My car is an 2023 X-Dynamic HSE

The panels certainly take a fair bit of effort to release but I only lost 1 clip per side which I view as a success. Damaged a couple of fingers mind. 2019 Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography
2023 Defender 110 P400e X-Dynamic HSE - gone
2020 Defender P300 SE - gone

2019 Jaguar F-Pace SVR - gone
2013 SDV8 Autobiography - gone
2011 L322 TDV8 Vogue SE - gone
2006 L322 3.6 Vogue Se - gone
1999 P38 4.0 se - gone
199? Classic 3.5 - gone
Post #985741 16th Mar 2023 12:36pm
J77

Scotland 
Fingers are cheaper to replace than Defender parts Laughing 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #985797 16th Mar 2023 6:22pm
DaveCNB

United States 
Yes, my Defender took a chunk out of my detail guy's knuckle (there are some sharp edges on some of those trim panels!) and has apparently now developed a taste for human flesh as well as large amount of gasoline Laughing
Post #985801 16th Mar 2023 6:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>