↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Station wagon Soundproofing (sorry!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
2hel

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Station wagon Soundproofing (sorry!)
Sorry for another Soundproofing thread I did use the search function but didn't find the answer..

I'm about to attempt to sound proof my 90, I've gone for black 2mm Dodo mat! Finished by the exmoor carpet set

My 90 is a factory station wagon and I just wondered if I should be fitting the seat brackets and cutting the Soundproofing around the bracket or just go over and fit the brackets through the dodo mat? I guess it's the same question when it comes to the carpet Confused Laughing

Any help appreciated
Post #985462 13th Mar 2023 11:04pm
2hel

Also if anyone has any pictures of their rear tub with the brackets fitted that would help to know if the carpet runs underneath or its cut around.

Thanks
Thumbs Up
Post #985473 14th Mar 2023 7:39am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Assuming you are having a noise issue, please make sure you address any noise source first. No insulation will muffle a high pitch gear whine, a rough engine or rumbling bearing.

Just saying because I have been there and for the same reason I just last weekend changed out a noisy transfer case to a know used quiet one and it is bliss.

The biggest problem I find with insulation is how it can trap water and accelerate decay on what is already a vulnerable vehicle.
Post #985492 14th Mar 2023 10:08am
donmacn

^^ that's fair comment - dealing with the basics first.

I used SilentCoat or Dynamat on mine, but having had a quick google it looks very much like the same stuff as Dodomat.

If it was me, I'd cut around the brackets/anything else that bolts to the truck. The bitumen in the matting will retain a degree of flexibility and especially in hot weather will 'flow' out from underneath a bracket. That would mean any fixings working loose - they might then rattle which would defeat the purpose of soundproofing in the first place!

Then more generally, on the point of water ingress and vulnerability, whenever I take anything apart, before I reassemble I will always consider whether or not to put in some sort of barrier between aluminium and steel. So in the the example you've mentioned of seat brackets, I would consider if there was likely to be enough moisture between the two metals to worry about and if so, I'd put in a thin 'gasket'. If not on the inside, then have a look at the outside and see if the metals are separated.

In some instances I might use thin closed-cell foam, or in others a thin PVC or nylon sheet. The sort of stuff that thin chopping boards are made of. You'd never notice one of them going missing from the kitchen.... Whistle

Can't help you with the carpets as my old 110 never had them. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #985522 14th Mar 2023 2:09pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
It seems to be the norm these days to buy shares in Dynamat or equivelent and cover every sqaure inch in the stuff as per the sponscered American hotrod shows. Unfortunatley the the bitumen based products are only any use for stopping large unsuppourted flat panels resonating. The damping of these panels can be sorted by a sqaure of deadener stuck in the centre of the panel. The actual noise level reduction is best acheived by a close cell foam with vinyl barrier attached, this does need to be fitted everywhere with no gaps and is quite bulky but effective.
Post #985543 14th Mar 2023 6:52pm
2hel

Thanks for your comments so far much appreciated, I've committed to going ahead with the dodo mat at least, see what it's like after that may add the foam layer but was a little concerned about the fitment of the exmoor carpet set with the increased thickness.

I am tempted to cut around the brackets as suggested and add a thin foam layer / gasket to stop the metal on metal contact.

Any pictures of those who have done this on a station wagon would be great to see the method used, pros and cons etc
Post #985546 14th Mar 2023 6:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
When I did the rear tub of my old 90, I cut the, Silentcoat in my case, insulation around the mounts. I then made some 1mm rubber gaskets to fit between the seat frames and the tub:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There's bit more detail from this post onwards:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post635199.html#635199 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #985570 14th Mar 2023 10:01pm
Plumbers91

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 200 Tdi HT Rutland Red
I've used Dodo matt closed cell foam and also the bitumen based product in mine, foam on the roof and bitumen on the floor. Very impressed with it tbh, I'd cut around the mounts so you don't gum up the inside of the fixings. Also a good idea to make sure you have a good seal around your doors and firewall to stop sound coming through.
Post #985573 14th Mar 2023 10:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2hel

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
When I did the rear tub of my old 90, I cut the, Silentcoat in my case, insulation around the mounts. I then made some 1mm rubber gaskets to fit between the seat frames and the tub:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There's bit more detail from this post onwards:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post635199.html#635199

Brilliant thank you that's exactly what I wanted to see! I assume you let the carpet run under the brackets though? Ie didn't cut carpet around the brackets too?
Post #985574 14th Mar 2023 10:38pm
2hel

Plumbers91 wrote:
I've used Dodo matt closed cell foam and also the bitumen based product in mine, foam on the roof and bitumen on the floor. Very impressed with it tbh, I'd cut around the mounts so you don't gum up the inside of the fixings. Also a good idea to make sure you have a good seal around your doors and firewall to stop sound coming through.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated it seems like I may need to go a step further st some point then Laughing
Post #985575 14th Mar 2023 10:39pm
Plumbers91

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 200 Tdi HT Rutland Red
Takes time to get right Laughing

I would also carpet underneath the seat etc, but just cut a line where the holes will be so you can just part it when fitting. Also it's worth heating the dodo matt with a heat gun and then roller the surface to get a nice firm grip to the surface.
Post #985576 14th Mar 2023 10:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
2hel wrote:
Brilliant thank you that's exactly what I wanted to see! I assume you let the carpet run under the brackets though? Ie didn't cut carpet around the brackets too?

No, the carpet was cut around the brackets, too. The seats need to be securely bolted down and carpet doesn't make a good gasket:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #985579 14th Mar 2023 10:51pm
2hel

Thanks for all the help guys ive 'finished' the rear tub now. starting to contemplate adding a 6mm foam layer to the floor, just a bit concerned about the exmoor carpet fitment with the increased depth? anyone have any experience with carpet fitment, is there enough tolerance?
Post #986652 24th Mar 2023 1:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1