Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear seat addition to single cab
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rufatiwe

Azerbaijan 
Rear seat addition to single cab
Hi all,

I did try to search this topic but couldn't manage to find any discussion. I am new to this forum, so apologies if this is duplicate thread.

There is a single cab v8 1996 for sale where I am:

https://turbo.az/autos/7042685-land-rover-defender

I appears that the cab has been extended DIY. I would like to extend the cab to have rear seats and see how doable is that. Based on this I can decide weather it's worth buying.

So far I have found that extending the chassis from 110 to 130 is moderately doable. I have also seen kind of bolt on extension that adds little bit of space but not enough for a seat:

http://www.foleysv.com/defender-cab-extension.html

Now I am thinking, if the chassis is extended to 130 which gives extra 50 cm would I be able to extend the cab enough to fit rear seats? Would it even be possible to add rear doors? Apart from lots of fabrication what parts would be required?

Thanks in advance
Rufat
Post #984670 7th Mar 2023 10:26am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi,
Anything is possible, but at a cost. That vehicle, looking at it's general condition, is not one I would invest a lot of money in. (I wouldn't buy it at any time)

The 'cab' it has is completely home made, its a few sheets of metal, bent and welded to the windscreen, door surround and roll bar. It was originally a military vehicle with a full canvas sof top.

If you really insist on buying it and using it to carry passengers, the easiest way would be to fit a full 110 hard top to convert it into a van. Then fit some seats in the back.

Of course it could be changed to a 110 station wagon, or a double cab, but this would require the complete rear body and roof for that type.
It could be changed to a 130, with a massive amount of work to the chassis and a complete new rear body.

But is it worth it, on a vehicle that is between 30 and 40 years old that is in very poor condition?
Post #984679 7th Mar 2023 11:10am
rufatiwe

Azerbaijan 
Thanks for the reply!

Do you mean something like this?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-395753/1...ender-110/

This is actually quite nice. You don't just get 2 seats but two benches! Plus you fold them down and still have truck/van space! The question is that can this be done via removable truck top or has to be fixed? I think it would be a big challenge in terms of documentation to permanently converting to van.

I agree this needs a lot of work, perhaps not worth it. The only reason I consider it is it's low cost. The issue with defender is that if I buy one I know I would spend the money to customize it anyway.
Post #984682 7th Mar 2023 11:31am
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Years ago, Foley built us a 130 County for a job, so it’s certainly doable. I’m guessing a standard double cab front mated to a 110 rear body would be the way to go. LR used to sell the chassis rails for the extension. No idea if they still do though!
Post #984686 7th Mar 2023 12:32pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
rufatiwe wrote:

Do you mean something like this?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-395753/1...ender-110/

Yes, that does look very nice. Thumbs Up

Someone else recently posted a link to this video.
It is probably the best bit of advice ever given about Landrovers and project vehicles, "your first one will be the worst one"
&t=49s
Post #984690 7th Mar 2023 12:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1