Home > Td5 > TD5 judders... like a kangaroo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Rivarama

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
TD5 judders... like a kangaroo
Hi All,

I got my new TD5 last week. And it is very juddery in 1st and 2nd gear - just like a kangaroo. This happens mostly when I am pulling out. It also happens when I drive on a bump / rough road.

Only way to make the judders stop is either to floor the gas pedal and get the car passed 1500-2000RPM or get my foot off the gas to make the judders stop and reapply power very gently. It is very annoying, especially when driving in traffic.

The car got a new head gasket and water pump fitted right before I bought it last week. The head was removed and skimmed properly. The cylinders shown no trace of boring whatsoever.

Here is the list of things I can think off...

1- Fuel pump (it seems to work OK - I can hear it priming properly)
2- Check fuel filter
3- MAF sensor - I unplugged it and it made no difference - ordered a new one regardless
4- Injector loom replacement - I ordered a new one - but the existing one was changed in 2022 by JLR. I checked the ECU, no trace of oil in the red cabling
5- prop shafts - are new and very sturdy - no play whatsoever
6- Spring & shock absorbers - are super old and very soft... could it amplify judders? should I change them?
7- Engine timing - the seller assured me they had timing checked when they removed the head for the HG and it is spot on
8- injector seals / rings check?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Post #980459 30th Jan 2023 12:31pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Dual mass flywheel perhaps? If it's badly worn it can give a lot of 'play' between engine and gearbox. Mine used to be a little like you described before I replaced it.

Might also be worth finding a Nanocom and check that the throttle pedal is performing as it should.
Post #980464 30th Jan 2023 1:03pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I had a very similar issue, I think it's a bit of clutch/DMF shudder. Mine was worse with a heavily laden trailer. new DMF made it a lot better, though not fully eliminated.

My clutch is due for replacement, so that might make it better again.

Generally I find that the engine is much happier above 1500RPM than lugging around on idle. While it is a torquey diesel, the TD5's in general seem to thrive on revs way more than the older engines.
Post #980469 30th Jan 2023 1:18pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
As above, I ditched the DMF and went for a SMF from LOF and the car drives much nicer. No judder, it just feels like the engine and gearbox are now 'connected'.
Post #980470 30th Jan 2023 1:20pm
Rivarama

That might indeed be the case... The car is stalling quite easily when doing a steep uphill start (no it's not the driver lol) - so I need to give it quite a bit of bean and it then feels like the clutch is slipping as result. However, the clutch is fine otherwise, does not seem worn a bit.

If the DMF needed replacing, wouldn't there be some sort of clanging noise?
Post #980486 30th Jan 2023 2:14pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No, a failing DMF tends to mimic classic clutch judder (at least on my Disco2 it does).

Your first post suggests that it judders when your foot is nowhere near the clutch pedal, which makes me feel that although a worn DMF may be a factor it is not the cause, the TD5 is usually a very smooth engine (a benefit of 5 cylinders and the resultant crank angles).

If the engine is not running as it should, any play or backlash in the transmission, suspension, or engine/gearbox mounts will make the sensation worse and far more unpleasant.
Post #980499 30th Jan 2023 2:57pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Do you still have the EGR system fitted? A sticking EGR valve can often cause an apparent lack of torque when pulling away. I only realised it was failing on one of my other vehicles when i noticed I had needed to start using quite a few more revs when pulling away to prevent stalling.

It could cause some jerky running too I guess but not necessarily.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #980509 30th Jan 2023 4:13pm
Rivarama

blackwolf wrote:
No, a failing DMF tends to mimic classic clutch judder (at least on my Disco2 it does).

Your first post suggests that it judders when your foot is nowhere near the clutch pedal, which makes me feel that although a worn DMF may be a factor it is not the cause, the TD5 is usually a very smooth engine (a benefit of 5 cylinders and the resultant crank angles).

If the engine is not running as it should, any play or backlash in the transmission, suspension, or engine/gearbox mounts will make the sensation worse and far more unpleasant.

Hi Blackwolf - you are correct the judder would happen when my left foot is off the clutch completely... low rev and bumpy road, my foot on the accelerator and it starts to judder... unless I pull my foot off the gas (or floor it, which is very unpleasant on bumpy roads), the movement amplifies into a full mode Kangaroo.

Could it be fueling related? I was planning to take the fuel filter housing and see whether it's in good shape / clean it and put it back.

As for the EGR, it is still on. I ordered a bypass kit from AliSport to blank it. If I am brave enough, I might also attempt to remove the inlet manifold and clean any potential (likely!) gunk in there.
Post #980515 30th Jan 2023 4:59pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I had dual mass flywheel judder last year between 1500rpm and 1750rpm in normal driving. it would disaapear in the revs above that until i doubled the rpm 3000-3500 and it would come back again like a weird hardmonic. I could also make it do it with the car in neutral and stationary too. Changed for a lof single mass in the end.
Post #980579 30th Jan 2023 10:35pm
Rivarama

Hi landyman - would your flywheel make any noise (clutch on /off in neutral) that indicated a problem besides the judders?
Post #980583 30th Jan 2023 11:03pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
No there was no rattle as others talk about with dual mass, just major shuddering, would shake the whole car. When I came to change it I undid the wading bung on the bottom of the bell housing and there were some nasty fluids in the bottom, some oil etc. May be worth pulling yours out and seeing if anything has leaked onto your clutch and flywheel.
Post #980584 30th Jan 2023 11:11pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
I'm guessing 10P engine Pre 2002 Td5, if so my money would be on accelerator pedal or clutch switch...

Do you get the same symptoms in low range ?
Post #980705 31st Jan 2023 6:36pm
Rivarama

Supposedly the engine was upgraded a couple of years ago with a 15p… which I haven’t been able to confirm yet. Haven’t looked at the serial number yet - so busy with work.

To answer your question though, the judders only happen before 1500rpm. They are worst when pulling out. They arent noticeable if pulling out at speed

As mentioned above - the clutch isn’t really slipping at all. Worth noting that I need to give more beans than normal to start up a hill.

Also - I don’t have records showing when the clutch was last changed… and the car shows 170k miles on the clock.

Not a single drop of oil under the car (transferbox, gearbox, engine, diffs, etc…) bone dry. I need to give to JLR who are the ones that fitted the new galv chassis less than -8months ago - it’s top notch (which you’d expect when charged over £7k for it)
Post #980739 31st Jan 2023 9:57pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Does it happen more often when the motor is cold or the weather outside is cold and damp?
TD5 clutches DMFs seem to suffer from this cold condition when getting more worn.

Patrick[/i]
Post #980904 2nd Feb 2023 2:16am
Rivarama

Hi Patrick,
It does happen both when the engine is cold & warm. Probably a little worse when cold, but no significant difference.
Post #980907 2nd Feb 2023 5:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>