Home > Td5 > replacing brakepipes.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mudlark46

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Corris Grey
replacing brakepipes.
Had a massive loss of brake fluid.
The cause is a leak in the long pipe along the the length of the chassis.
As the rear pipes are also pitted I intend to replace these as well.
The ready made ones cost a fortune, so I am opting to make up my own in Kunifer.
Problem is, what diameter pipe do I need, and are the fittings metric or something else?
All solutions welcome
Post #980254 29th Jan 2023 10:10am
htb2

Scotland 
3/16" kunifer pipe and a selection of metric fittings will see you right.
Post #980256 29th Jan 2023 10:16am
Mudlark46

Many thanks, I now need to source a Flaring tool . I understand Sykes Pikavant are the "Bees Knees", but are really expensive. Any ideas to a cheaper but good quality one, as I have a series 1 total rebuild to do as well
Post #980262 29th Jan 2023 10:25am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
What year is your SI?

Early vehicles used larger diameter pipes and this may constrain your choice of flaring tool - cheap ones won't work.

I've used this seller for pipe and fittings for my '07: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272939906684
Post #980265 29th Jan 2023 10:37am
Mudlark46

Thanks for help with that. It's 1956. I am not precious about keeping it original as I have already found that some parts are either not available or too expensive to be available. Such as brakes and half-shafts which will be from later vehicles. If I need larger diameter pipes for the S1, which is likely, a bit of forward thinking is required. I understand that some flaring tools are capable of working with various sizes, which I would have opt for to cope with the S1 or any other projects. I'm not going into mass production, but I do need a tool that will last longer than a couple of projects. So any help will be useful to my pocket.

Your seller says this size is not compatible with my TD5
Post #980271 29th Jan 2023 11:20am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I recently done my brake pipes on my 1988 90. I was considering buying a tool like the one below, of which many are on the bay. It looks like this tool is able to make both bubble flares and double flares. In the end I found that due to customs charges and all, it was cheaper to get a garage to flare the pipes for me.

I still did a jig to straighten the pipes, but that is optional. Description of the jig is on my restoration thread, somewhere half way down on this following page:
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72365-315.html 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #980279 29th Jan 2023 11:58am
blackwolf

A 56 SI won't give any problems, it is the 80" which can be a challenge (especially the very early hydrostatic models).

I'm surprised that a TD5 and '07 TDCi are different, my 2002 Disco 2 uses the same fittings as my Defender and that link is where I bought the bits for both. Sensible to check, though.
Post #980285 29th Jan 2023 12:19pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I bought one of the simple flaring tools and it has been great. I used cunifer pipe and brass fittings which I think may have been over the top, but my thoughts were that if the fittings corrode it may bind on the pipe and damage it as its unscrewed.

Try to keep the pipe you take off as good as you can. It makes it so much easier make the replacement if you have the original to copy.
Post #980400 29th Jan 2023 9:21pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Had exactly the same problem with mine, ended up replacing all the pipes, it’s much easier to make them because you can make sections at a time where if you replaced with a stocked one it’s so difficult to fit in place. 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #980402 29th Jan 2023 9:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mudlark46

what make and model Flaring tool did you use? Is it a hand held one which you can flare the pipes while they are still on the chassis or do you need to use a bench and a vice?
Post #980433 30th Jan 2023 8:21am
Mossberg

I used one of the small hand held ones. I actually took the handle off and used it in a vice. I had a tube of break grease so bought the one without the little tub of it as it saved a few quid.

I considered getting one of the better units but didn't because I probably won't need it for anything other than the Defender, being hand held made it possible to use on pipes on the vehicle (though only used it in the vice and could see it being a pain underneath the truck), the cost difference is significant, and with the bigger unit you have to store it.

I annealed the pipe before flaring. Heat it to just going dull red then dunk it in water. Cleaned with a dit of scotchbright and used a drill dit around the same size as the bore to remove burrs. I used one of the small cheap pipe cutters to cut the pipe.
Post #980437 30th Jan 2023 9:32am
Mossberg

I found this Ed China video interesting. He uses one of the expensive units, but then he works on more vehicles than I do!

Post #980438 30th Jan 2023 9:43am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
There are two ways to do this. The first is 100% DIY and the best advice I can give you is to buy at least Laser tools quality. The second way is to buy a pre-made brake pipe kit. Either is a good way to do this job.

When it comes to bending the pipes the best tool is the hand held pliers like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-6971-Bendin...B075TGNS2Y

The other tip I would give you is to smear the threads and unions with some red rubber grease as it will help future-proof the union.
Post #980468 30th Jan 2023 1:18pm
blackwolf

If yo can run to one the best flaring tool available today IMO is the Sykes-Pickavant Flaremaster 2. Different kits (at slightly different prices) built around the core tool are available, depending on which dies you need. There's also a stainless pipe option if that floats your boat.

This is a more modern tool than the one which Ed China is seen using in the video a couple of posts above, and if you can only have one flaring tool this is probably the most convenient. It is a handheld tool and can be used successfully in quite confined spaces which is a huge advantage if you are installing repair sections into pipes which are still attached to the vehicle at one end.

I replumbed the rear brake lines on my Disco 2 not long ago, and as anyone who has one will vouch, the ROS line is almost impossible to replace as a one-piece line unless you remove the body from the chassis. Since it is quite common for half the line to be as right as rain, and only the rear part corroded, a portable tool makes it very easy to install a new half-line, or a new full line in two parts.

The vice-mounted SP tool Ed is using in the video is the ideal tool if you regularly need to make up lines with different size pipes, it will for example enable you to make new pipes for a SI 80" (which is I recall is 1/4" pipe), and I was even able to make a new windscreen wiper drive rack "outer" with the correct flares when I fitted linked wipers years ao to my 86" SI (the wipers are not the same distance apart as on later LRs, so fitting linked wipers requires adjusting the drive rack "outer" tube).

I don't know if any of the tool hire places will hire out the Flaremaster, if so it might be an option. Certainly once you have used tools of this calibre you will be reluctant to go back to the "budget" end of the market. You will also find that the labour charges you save by doing the job yourself will usually pay for the tool, which may help self-justify the outlay.
Post #980481 30th Jan 2023 1:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1