↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > modifying seatbox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
nitram17

modifying seatbox
Hi I'm nearly getting to the point of selling my defender due to back problems...my last option is trying to see if i could fit air or mechanical suspension seat into the defender. My question is has anyone attempted this before?im not sure if it would be possible to modify the seatbox so the floor is flat with the drivers floor to allow room for he suspension seat whilst keeping the rigidity and strength of the original..im not quite sure whether the gearbox gets in the way?

Anybody know of any car fabricators that might do that sort of work?
Post #979741 25th Jan 2023 3:36pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
The standard Defender seat box is built up of rivetted / glued aluminium panels and retains most of its strength due to the boxes. You can get away with a flat floor on the driver and passenger side but the bit in-between needs to stay raised for the transfer box to clear. (Basically continuing the gearbox tunnel).

I welded up my own seat box out of some angle iron to accommodate Range Rover seats. I'd question why you'd want a suspension seat - normally they're on vehicles that don't have cab / axle suspension for technical reasons. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #979760 25th Jan 2023 5:37pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Should be much easier to soften the whole Defender suspension. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #979762 25th Jan 2023 5:46pm
nitram17

done that!
Post #979778 25th Jan 2023 7:10pm
nitram17

sako243 wrote:
The standard Defender seat box is built up of rivetted / glued aluminium panels and retains most of its strength due to the boxes. You can get away with a flat floor on the driver and passenger side but the bit in-between needs to stay raised for the transfer box to clear. (Basically continuing the gearbox tunnel).

I welded up my own seat box out of some angle iron to accommodate Range Rover seats. I'd question why you'd want a suspension seat - normally they're on vehicles that don't have cab / axle suspension for technical reasons.

you can get suspension seating to fit transits and vans now. https://www.jennings-seats.co.uk/products/vehicle/van/

the normal inner seat base runner appears to impinge on the gearbox tunnel do you have any pics of your set up?
Post #979780 25th Jan 2023 7:18pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I doubt that it will help your problem, or is the solution you want but I fitted seats out of a Mercedes slk into my 110. They're mechanical and have a built in sprung base, although I've never felt them work on the road, it's pretty effective on rough tracks.
Post #979783 25th Jan 2023 7:32pm
sako243

nitram17 wrote:
the normal inner seat base runner appears to impinge on the gearbox tunnel do you have any pics of your set up?

It's all slightly irrelevant because I have seats out of a 2004 L322 (any other L322 would also work, mine just happen to be from a 2004). They are slightly narrower seat runners than a Defender but I've also mounted them slightly further inboard to give more room to the outside edge.

Actually looking through old photos I might have been mistaken on the requirements for transfer box clearance, I've got a hydraulic PTO pump on the back of my transfer box and that fouls. Here's the only photo I've got that shows the seat-box structure well, it was all a bit of a rushed job (gearbox needed to be swapped over because of chipping a tooth on 5th (suspected), then I found the seat-box was collapsing (probably due to the abuse off-road with all the extra weight of the L322 seats).

The plan at the time since the pump, transfer-box and gearbox were out was why not just rip the engine out and shove the 1UZ-FE that's sitting in the workshop waiting to go in into the vehicle. Then last minute Dad decided he didn't want to take his Shogun to Scotland as we were towing. So in 3 days in -5°C I swapped the gearbox, re-installed the transfer box and hydraulic pump, fabricated a new seat box, installed a new exhaust, packed and set off to Scotland on the fourth morning. I still haven't got around to painting the seat-box or installing the V8.

All of that stuff is 20x20 angle (maybe 3mm), the long one along the second row joint is drilled through the existing holes and bolted in, the other bits pick up all the existing bolt holes. I was going to extend the storage under the floors but ran out of time. The seat-box is flat front to rear to accommodate the Range Rover seats, I could have dropped the seat areas down but you'd struggle for height (without subsequently dropping the floor) for my 019 batteries under the passenger seat. I didn't want to drop it any lower initially because it sits flush with the bottom of the sills currently. From this I just bent some 1mm sheet for the bottoms, the sides with the doors are open to allow access from the side.

Still needs refinement but it's functional and time...

Framework:

Click image to enlarge

Driver seat installed but sorting out a compressor (last minute again)

Click image to enlarge
 Ed
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #979799 25th Jan 2023 9:33pm
nitram17

MarkBrown wrote:
I doubt that it will help your problem, or is the solution you want but I fitted seats out of a Mercedes slk into my 110. They're mechanical and have a built in sprung base, although I've never felt them work on the road, it's pretty effective on rough tracks.

Have you a picture of the exact model...by sprung base you mean horizontal or vertical ..I'm interested in this but the online photos show different thickness of seat and no mention of mechanical spring...
Post #979860 26th Jan 2023 1:33pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Re: modifying seatbox
nitram17 wrote:
Hi I'm nearly getting to the point of selling my defender due to back problems...my last option is trying to see if i could fit air or mechanical suspension seat into the defender. My question is has anyone attempted this before?im not sure if it would be possible to modify the seatbox so the floor is flat with the drivers floor to allow room for he suspension seat whilst keeping the rigidity and strength of the original..im not quite sure whether the gearbox gets in the way?

Anybody know of any car fabricators that might do that sort of work?

Sorry to hear about your back. I hope you are able to identify and implement a solution as we really don’t want you selling up.
Post #979940 26th Jan 2023 11:13pm
nitram17

Thanks screbble ..it will be a very sad day if i have to sell my defender I have a couple of options to try before i try my last option of modifying the seat box to try to accommodate a suspension seat.
Post #979951 27th Jan 2023 12:11am
MarkBrown

Nitram 17 They're off a '98 ish Mercedes SLK, I think an R170 leather, non electric. The base has springs, so up and down it effectively bounces. I bought them for my 110 build because they were very thin, like the correct land rover ones, although the base cannot be removed.

I'd also had fitted some Mercedes E300 seats to a previous 110, but they were quite thick and took up a fair bit of space, so not really ideal, but figured that the rails would be similar, which they were, as they came off a similar year car.

Fitting required cutting of a couple of tabs on the rails and shortening of the front to back adjustment lever. I mounted them towards the center to give more arm room. Height is adjustable along with the back angle. They cost me £120, pair in 2021. I really like them as unlike allot of other cars, they're pretty wide and flat, so perfect for a Land Rover. I'm starting another build and will use the same ones again.

For what it's worth I too have had back problems along with bouts of sciatica and the Landy is the most comfortable of our current three cars for me.

Photos to follow in daylight.

Last edited by MarkBrown on 28th Jan 2023 7:19am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #979952 27th Jan 2023 12:14am
nitram17

Thanks mark!
Post #979956 27th Jan 2023 12:24am
sako243

Although I don't normally suffer back issues I find my 110 with the Range Rover seats in it more comfortable than a Range Rover with Range Rover seats in it. Go figure...

Click image to enlarge

If you were a bit closer I'd say come down and try them out. Tyre choice can also affect things, just put a new set of 285/75R16s on it and the difference in quietness in particular is quite profound. Also old tyres were running slightly higher pressures as they got older. Ed
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #979983 27th Jan 2023 8:58am
MarkBrown

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The spring can be seen in the first picture.
Post #980077 27th Jan 2023 7:01pm
nitram17

hi mark that spring system interests me ..ive been searching on e bay and hey appear to have got rid of the spring seat arrangement on later models https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165894863999?
Post #980129 28th Jan 2023 12:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>