↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > modifying seatbox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
There's a pair on eBay now. Item number eBay Item No. 304647474918. This shows the springs well. When I bought mine I was about to order a set of refurbished defender ones, then saw these which were a tenth of the price and local so I just picked them up. The fit and comfort is superb though, I'm very pleased with them.

The ones in your link are not the ones, no. Mine are off a r170, I think.
Post #980136 28th Jan 2023 7:27am
nitram17

Thanks mark i saw those but was put off by that big orange contraption on the front of the drivers seat ..could you fit a passenger side seat to the drivers side? (I'm assuming they both have the spring setup)
im not bothered about having odd seats ....i was going to start by trying to see if i could fit one of these to the original seats but i doubt at 5.11 i will have enough headroom.
but now i will try to get hold of a 170 seat and see how it goes.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pr..._200487876

Last edited by nitram17 on 29th Jan 2023 8:30pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #980174 28th Jan 2023 1:59pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
put off by that big orange contraption on the front of the drivers seat

Looks like a nice place to fit a fire extinguisher. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #980181 28th Jan 2023 3:33pm
MarkBrown

Yes I know what you mean, I don't know what the lump is, mine haven't got it. Good luck and if there's anything I can help with just ask. Mark.
Post #980225 28th Jan 2023 11:06pm
nitram17

were the easy enough to fit?
i am assuming the seats fold forward? I was hoping to attach a hinged plate to the seat box and attach the seat runners to that and clamp it at with bonnet clamps to the front of the seat box ....in that way the seat will lift up enough to get some access to the space below the seats.

Picasso i aint Embarassed

Click image to enlarge
Post #980369 29th Jan 2023 6:48pm
nitram17

sako243 wrote:
Although I don't normally suffer back issues I find my 110 with the Range Rover seats in it more comfortable than a Range Rover with Range Rover seats in it. Go figure...

Click image to enlarge

If you were a bit closer I'd say come down and try them out. Tyre choice can also affect things, just put a new set of 285/75R16s on it and the difference in quietness in particular is quite profound. Also old tyres were running slightly higher pressures as they got older.

They do look comfy seats ..how is the headroom (how tall are you?)dog patrol looks cool to!
Post #980383 29th Jan 2023 8:01pm
MarkBrown

A bit of grinding to make the rail flat, there's a bracket to cut and then belt flat. Four holes where you want the seat , big washers to spread the load and some spacers or nuts to lift it clear of the seat box rail. I cut out the center bulkhead so they go back further too - I can fully stretch my legs if I want to. Oh and shorten the front back lever. I can get onto the driver side box by feel, it's my tow rope, shackles etc in there. Battery and Jack in the other side, so just need to undo the nuts to get access. Belt attached to the seat, the other part to the proper place in the middle. Yes it comes forward quite a way, but not flat.
Post #980386 29th Jan 2023 8:07pm
nitram17

Thanks mark i might buy an old tatty one of e bay to try to see if it makes any difference ..if it does then go looking for a better condition pair and get them re leathered.I wonder if you can still get spare parts for the spring bit as 20 year old seats probably could do with a refurb.
Post #980395 29th Jan 2023 8:41pm
nitram17

MarkBrown wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The spring can be seen in the first picture.

I think that spring is part of a damper to allow the seat back to extend and return smoothly and not a suspension device ...! there are two small springs springs at the rear that i think give a small amount of rebound to the seat base....I ordered a 170 seat but when it came it was an electric seat (no spring/damper,just motor and pushrod)so i will give that a go!If im wrong about the spring please let me know as i would buy one.

Click image to enlarge
Post #981687 7th Feb 2023 6:14pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
nitram17 wrote:
sako243 wrote:
Although I don't normally suffer back issues I find my 110 with the Range Rover seats in it more comfortable than a Range Rover with Range Rover seats in it. Go figure...

Click image to enlarge

If you were a bit closer I'd say come down and try them out. Tyre choice can also affect things, just put a new set of 285/75R16s on it and the difference in quietness in particular is quite profound. Also old tyres were running slightly higher pressures as they got older.

They do look comfy seats ..how is the headroom (how tall are you?)dog patrol looks cool to!

5'10" but I've had people over 6ft in comfortably and there's arguably more room than standard strangely enough because the seats are deeper and can go further back than standard ones. They're also mounted slightly further inboard, only an inch or so but makes all the difference for elbow room. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #981746 8th Feb 2023 11:49am
MarkBrown

Definitely the base is sprung on mine. I'd add that I had some early range rover seats in a 110 and they were super comfortable, but definitely sat higher. This wasn't a problem, just different to standard.
Post #981762 8th Feb 2023 3:06pm
nitram17

hi mark my 170 seat has come with a electric motor and pushrod where the spring damper is on yours. so im not sure whether the big spring on yours is to aid the adjustment of the chair and has nothing to do with the suspension .if you look at these two photos from the web with no weight on the seat but the spring in different positions

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

you can see one of the two springs at the back of the seat that i think provide the springiness to your seat if you zoom in to the red rings.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

if your sure that that central spring does indeed have a suspension function i will order another one from e bay as i dont want to send the one i got back as the leatheri s in very good condition.
Post #981837 9th Feb 2023 1:04am
MarkBrown

I'll take a closer look at my seat, but it definitely bounces up and down, the seat bolt slots in the plastic are longer to allow it. I just saw the big Spring and assumed it was for that purpose, but maybe not. I'll take a look and confirm.
Post #982685 16th Feb 2023 8:24pm
nitram17

Thanks for that ..as i said i thought i was buying a mechanical one but it tuned out to be electric.....if that spring was part of the seat suspension it would be great ....but if you look at the above picture the spring has some sort of wire pull attached to it to release something? If you look at the yellow arrow it points to the two springs that i think are giving the seat the up/down motion. Anyway i eagerly await your assessment. And thanks for taking the time.
Post #982699 16th Feb 2023 9:33pm
MarkBrown

I've just had a really good look, and yes the centre big spring has a cable from it which is the height adjustment. The base is sprung on both sides at the back, where you've circle in red. They're pretty hard to see! It's like the springs on a ride on mower seat, if you've ever seen one and they give a bounce of about an inch , at the back. I didn't notice them until I went green laning and they are good for that. I can't say I notice on the road, but then I doubt if I would, if they're working. I find them very comfortable, they suit me fine, but I don't like narrow bucket type seats. It's also a very long time since I've sat on standard defender seats, although I don't recall them to be uncomfortable. Thanks Mark.
Post #983124 20th Feb 2023 7:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>