↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Anyone off roaded the coil sprung version yet?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Anyone off roaded the coil sprung version yet?
Curious if anyone has done any serious off road work with the non air suspension coil sprung new Defender yet?

I've not seen anything yet and LR marketing material and promo stuff never seems to have the coil sprung model.

Just wondering how much impact not having the cross linked air suspension becomes? I know they waggle wheels in the air a lot with air suspension. But are the more like an FL2 when on coils?

Would love to see some footage.
Post #979304 23rd Jan 2023 2:29am
lightning

United Kingdom 
There's a guy on Youtube called Harry's Farm and he had one for 12 months, he did a fair bit off road with the coil sprung 90 HT

l've done moderate off road driving with mine, it's like my old Defender really. Nothing l did troubled it, and l didn't use any of the off road driving modes such as mud/ruts, rock crawl etc.

Post #979316 23rd Jan 2023 9:31am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Thanks will give it a watch, I suppose I meant any technical off roading.

All of the IRS/IFS models (D3/4, RRS, L322, L405 etc) with Terrain Response and/or extra locking diffs are quite capable due to the traction systems. But IMO they are less capable natively off road than a traditional Defender and fully rely on the traction systems to make progress.

It's really only the open diffs that will stop a live axle Defender, which is easily rectified in the the aftermarket (or TCS equipped TD5/Puma models, albeit the TCS is less good than the newer models).

I'd expect the coil new Defender to be more willing to lift wheels and be less stable vs the air one. Would be interesting to see some side by side comparisons.

Watching some USA channels like the TFL, the new Defender did struggle on some of the Colorado trails they took it on. I wonder if the coil one would struggle even more. On paper the answer would be yes, but it would be interesting to see.
Post #979326 23rd Jan 2023 11:11am
lightning

United Kingdom 
lf the air sprung version had more articulation then l guess it would do a bit better (than the coil sprung one)
But you can't beat the old Defender live axle set up!

l won't ever trouble the off road limits of my new Defender but if you're worried about it then go for the air suspension and also the rear locking differential.
With the air spring option you can raise the ride height by a few CM over standard plus l think it does it automatically if you select one of the off road driving modes.

lt depends on how serious your off reading is likely to be. The standard one is pretty good.
Post #979344 23rd Jan 2023 12:52pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I think Russ at Ardventures has done plenty in Morocco in his coil sprung 90. I think there’s a piece in a recent LRO. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #979352 23rd Jan 2023 1:29pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
This guy in the US takes his some pretty queer places. Various lifts and modifications applied too.

Click image to enlarge
Post #979365 23rd Jan 2023 2:47pm
J77

Scotland 
Re: Anyone off roaded the coil sprung version yet?
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Curious if anyone has done any serious off road work with the non air suspension coil sprung new Defender yet?

I've not seen anything yet and LR marketing material and promo stuff never seems to have the coil sprung model.

Just wondering how much impact not having the cross linked air suspension becomes? I know they waggle wheels in the air a lot with air suspension. But are the more like an FL2 when on coils?

I believe LR used coil sprung models for the off road press test drives when they launched the 90, all they had fitted was the rear ediff.

I liked the coil suspension, relatively comfortable and felt a bit more characterful. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #979465 23rd Jan 2023 9:29pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Less to go wrong as well !
Post #979467 23rd Jan 2023 9:36pm
J77

Scotland 
Here you go, LRs launch of the 90

Silver one with black roof is on coils

24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #979468 23rd Jan 2023 9:39pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Retroanaconda wrote:
This guy in the US takes his some pretty queer places. Various lifts and modifications applied too.

Click image to enlarge

I am sure this 90 is excellent off-road, but...

...it does look like the love-child of a New Defender 90 and a Can-Am quad bike Shocked Looks strangely out of proportion and I am not sure that the bar work suits the Defender styling at all.

Click image to enlarge
Post #979478 23rd Jan 2023 10:02pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Yes it looks rather daft, something to do with the large subframe lift and 35” tyres I suspect. You know what the yanks are like for putting the biggest tyres they possibly can on everything.

I’ve no doubt it’s exceptionally capable though.
Post #979490 23rd Jan 2023 10:45pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Anyone off roaded the coil sprung version yet?
J77 wrote:
Chicken Drumstick wrote:

I believe LR used coil sprung models for the off road press test drives when they launched the 90, all they had fitted was the rear ediff.

I liked the coil suspension, relatively comfortable and felt a bit more characterful.

Thanks. All the ones I'd seen had been air.

As where all the vehicles at the Eastnor Land Rover Experience centre when I went. Although they were all 110's. I did ask the instructors about the coil version and it was, non of them wanted to comment on them.
Post #979547 24th Jan 2023 2:03pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
J77 wrote:

Awesome, thanks. Thumbs Up
Post #979549 24th Jan 2023 2:03pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Retroanaconda wrote:
Yes it looks rather daft, something to do with the large subframe lift and 35” tyres I suspect. You know what the yanks are like for putting the biggest tyres they possibly can on everything.

I’ve no doubt it’s exceptionally capable though.

Yes it is an unfortunate craze that has caught on here as well now... Massive tyres with massively aggressive tread patterns. Then you end up with damage like below as people find new and "exciting" ways to use there choice in rubber...

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic86118-15.html

But as you say, incredibly capable vehicle. I also own a Freelander 2, which is utterly brilliant with all its TC electronic gizmos and quite frankly as the L663 is several iterations more advanced than the Freelander 2 it must be superb in the right hands...
Post #979551 24th Jan 2023 2:14pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
J77 wrote:

Good vid, hadn't seen that one before.

Although mostly just a slippery surface, so all about the traction aids really. Not a lot of articulation going on. I'd love to see how it would do on a more technical off road setting.

The wheel travel of the new Defender with EAS was impressive:

Click image to enlarge

Although in real world use it seemed unable to make use of all of the wheel travel, lifting wheels frequently:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

My guess is the coils would be worse, but I'd like some real world examples to back up my hunch.

On the flip side, I can drive my p38a Range Rover round the same obstacles and never lift a wheel.
Post #979552 24th Jan 2023 2:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>