↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Anyone off roaded the coil sprung version yet?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
The difference is independent suspension versus beam axles (P38). There is just not as much movement available with independent suspension, hence why the TC/difflocks are so good and necessary. Unless you alter the suspension itself with replacement components fitting springs is unlikely to improve the L663 in terms of axle travel.

Good effort getting the wheels that far off the ground though Thumbs Up I really enjoy driving the Freelander 2 because it does the same and also has very respectable axle travel.
Post #979554 24th Jan 2023 2:25pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
lf you are worried just tick the "air suspension" box on the configurator.

My 90 on coils and with the standard differential will do all l ever need. But there are many who will want more capabilities, or at least want to know that they've got more capabilities.
Post #979560 24th Jan 2023 3:06pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Sadly I doubt I'll ever afford a new one. Sad

But I have a very keen passion and interest in 4x4's, off roading and Land Rovers. Although I'm pretty sure I recognise your username from a coupe of other forums......

Likewise a new Ineos Grenadier is beyond my bank balance. Really like the new Ford Bronco, but no hope of getting on in the UK. And the Wrangler, although UK spec ones have a weird mix of options and are very expensive for what they are IMO.

But I can well see myself in a used new Defender at some point, probably as a p38 replacement. Although I do like the look of the 90 more than the 110. But I suspect many a 90 will be on coils not air. So just doing some advanced research for the fun of it. I'll have to see if I can get a 90 on demo at some point, but probably when it is less muddy out.

I do like to use my 4x4's off road. e.g.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #979596 24th Jan 2023 5:17pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Love all three vehicles!

We've also got the new Jimny and that is amazing off road. The only way l could afford a new Defender was

1. A dealer gave me £18,500 for my old Defender
2. There's currently a big tax break on new Commercial Vehicles if you are LTD. l will save £14,000 in tax over three years which almost exactly covers the payments on the loan l had to take out to buy the new one.
3. My mum gave me a few grand.
4. l sold some other stuff, my motorcycle etc

l still can't believe l am driving round in a £55,000 vehicle. Sometimes is seems an unnecessary expense but in the long term it will work well in my business (l plan to keep the new one for ten years, longer if it's still okay after that)

l would love a good 300tdi SW though, as a second car. lf l see one we'll probably sell the Jimny and buy it. l will need to be a good one though, low mileage and mint. Not many of those around.

My local dealer has a fully restored Lightweight at £15,995
lt's truly immaculate with a galvanised chassis and even PAS
My wife said "no" too extreme
And with the canvas top it's about as secure as a wheelie bin.

l realise a pristine or restored 300tdi will be a fair bit more than that though.
Although prices seem to be falling, not massively but definitely less than before COVID
Post #979632 24th Jan 2023 8:30pm
J77

Scotland 
My 90 on coils

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Same boulder with my 110 demo on air in off road height back in 2020

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #979649 24th Jan 2023 10:18pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
So how do they compare in general day to day use?
Post #979654 24th Jan 2023 11:00pm
dropson

Poland 
Here it is My DEF MY2022 110 P300;) on springs.
This is the basic version - only the OFFROAD package. Today it has clocked 34,000 km and is in service. No faults so far, even though I check it all the time in the field.

I'm slowly getting used to this modification

https://www.nakatanenga.de/en/vehicle-equi...l-springs? number=NEWDEF-1-LRNEW110S

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #979746 25th Jan 2023 4:08pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Looks great

You are certainly using the vehicle as Land Rover intended
Post #979777 25th Jan 2023 7:08pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
No kidding and there is something lovely about White Defenders... Thumbs Up
Post #979782 25th Jan 2023 7:24pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
lightning wrote:
Less to go wrong as well !

You do realise that there is nothing new with the Defender air suspension. Its been around and properly used in anger since the launch of the Disco 3. Apart from a few compressor issues with the early vehicles it's been very reliable. As far as ability goes the air suspension vehicles with TC etc will go places where pre 2016 Defenders wouldn't get to. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #979959 27th Jan 2023 12:37am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Doubtful. Live axles offer more stability and a traditional 90 is much smaller. Open diffs may restrict you. But latter models have TCS too. Plus it’s super easy to fit some ATB’s and very easy to gain a little extra travel.

I’ve certainly driven 90’s in places and see others conquer terrain I wouldn’t dream of taking a new Defender.
Post #979962 27th Jan 2023 1:08am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
lightning wrote:
Looks great

You are certainly using the vehicle as Land Rover intended

JLR intended for the Defender to be used on the road. The latest Defender marked a switched to prioritizing on road refinement and comfort over off-road. Nothing wrong with that as it’s more profitable for the company - but any response to a picture of a new Defender and any of the current LR offerings being driven off road with the “nice to see them being used as intended” has been factually incorrect for 8 years now Smile Smile
Post #979985 27th Jan 2023 9:06am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Sadly you are correct but that's where LR will make the money l guess.

Although the TV advert for the Defender would have you think otherwise.
Post #980002 27th Jan 2023 10:45am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Doubtful. Live axles offer more stability and a traditional 90 is much smaller. Open diffs may restrict you. But latter models have TCS too. Plus it’s super easy to fit some ATB’s and very easy to gain a little extra travel.

I’ve certainly driven 90’s in places and see others conquer terrain I wouldn’t dream of taking a new Defender.

Im not going down the live axle Vs route. I know how good the air suspension is combined with electrics. Look at my galleries in this forum and the D3/4 sister site. I have run the old Defender alongside a D3/4 loads of times and 90% of the time the Air with Electrics wins. Yes I know a 90 is awesome in certain conditions but then a 130 is also awesome in certain conditions. Each car has its own pro's and con's. Back in the day I had access to the Boughrood 4x4 site in mid Wales. I would run training/fun events. I designed the courses and could build in obstacles to test the vehicle limits, the D3/4 were the hardest to stop 'making progress' in fact it got quite scary where they would go especially in the hands of a novice. Please note this was all for standard vehicles. Also note I am not slating the old Defender I'm just pointing out that Air and Electrics have a proven record.

Point in case there was a punch here in the trees where we had to drive into a deep hole get the punch stamp and then reverse out. For safety the vehicles were attached to a winch cable. The standard Defender had to be winched out the Disco drove out on its own.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Having said that later on that day the Defender easily climbed a steep very muddy hill and the Disco failed and we had to winch it up. The Disco tyres weren't as aggressive and its a heavier vehicle. Again every vehicle has its Pro's and Con's 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #980014 27th Jan 2023 11:31am
Tim in Scotland

lightning wrote:
Although the TV advert for the Defender would have you think otherwise.

I saw the ad on C4 or C5 on Wednesday evening and I notice that the sound track has been edited to remove the (incorrect) peeping from the parking aid as the 90 backs up to the cliff edge! I wonder if LR were concerned that someone might sue them when they reversed their car over a cliff edge because the reversing peepers didn’t sound……….. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #980020 27th Jan 2023 12:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>