Home > Puma (Tdci) > Non-starter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Non-starter
Hello,

Mechanic came today and replaced the starter motor and glow plugs. I expected it to start but the starter clicks and nothing happens. It started last week, I drove it around and it was fine but with a weird electrical smell that the old starter smells of, parked it up and now I'm getting the click and nothing else. It had starting issues during the snow which is why the glow plugs have been changed.

Any idea what else could be wrong for it not to turn over? It's been cranked over by hand so the engine is free, bumped with it in gear to make sure the flywheel isn't stuck. Mechanic is going to think about it but I thought I'd ask you people as well, maybe it's a know thing?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Post #977575 11th Jan 2023 1:57pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Starter is not getting enough juice. Battery might be undercharged so try jump starting it with another vehicle with a decent output (might have to leave it running for 10 mins or so) . If that doesn’t make it turn over , then check connections from and to starter motor - esp as it’s been replaced…..otherwise might be dodgy 2nd hand starter motor.
But it’s lack of juice imo.
Post #977635 11th Jan 2023 7:48pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Put a jump lead direct from battery negative to the engine block and try turning it over. Will show a poor earth
Post #977649 11th Jan 2023 9:51pm
cretesimon

Greece 
Hi had the same problem once on a 2.2 tdci was the starter relay under seat but would also check voltage at battery and stater motor
Post #977672 12th Jan 2023 7:40am
AndyS

Haha, it was never going to be that easy. 😂

I tried the battery to compressor, cylinder head and a big lug at the bottom of the block on the inlet side and still just the click of doom!

But I totally agree with what's been said, there isn't sufficient juice getting to the starter. I'll have another read of the historic threads and try some other stuff. First on the list for when it's not peeing down and cold is the ignition switch, relays and fuses.

All the ancillary stuff works fine, radio, AC fan, lights but I think it's an electrical problem.

Thanks for the advice, I'll report back when the problem is found. I'm really sure it's something simple!
Post #977708 12th Jan 2023 12:20pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I think you need to eliminate the starter motor from your investigations. Unless a cock up has been made on reattaching the wires and it was staring OK last week that seems to be the only key change.

Not tried on a puma but is it possible to get jump leads directly to the starter terminal(s)? Knowing Defenders the answer is surely no Sad
Post #977727 12th Jan 2023 2:03pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
bodstruck wrote:
Not tried on a puma but is it possible to get jump leads directly to the starter terminal(s)?

Rolling with laughter

You're having a laugh!
Post #977730 12th Jan 2023 2:09pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Thought that might be optimistic Smile
Post #977776 12th Jan 2023 5:53pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Starter is an absolute pig to see and get at, plus there are hollow dowels around the bolts - is the starter seated correctly and dowels in their correct positions?

Good luck

Keith
Post #977781 12th Jan 2023 6:32pm
AndyS

Click image to enlarge

It was the mega fuse. I looked carefully at it (for the first time) and power for the starter goes through the fuse so I bypassed it with the jump lead and it started first time. Hurrah.

There was a slight drama as I tried to reverse it back into it's spot and there was no drive. Oh FFS, what now! But I'd knocked it out of low range. Laughing

Thank you for your help, I know I don't contribute much and keep asking questions but you really are mega stars. Beers all round. 🍺
Post #978047 14th Jan 2023 6:59pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Great result! And useful info for the future.
Martin’s LR forums are an epic source of information.
Post #978096 14th Jan 2023 10:09pm
blackwolf

Looking at your photo, I'm not sure I understand why LR say in the WSM that the megafuse cannot be replaced and a new battery-to-starter cable must be fitted. Question

Looks pretty easy to replace to me! Good old LR, eh.
Post #978098 14th Jan 2023 10:12pm
AndyS

Mega fuse came off by the two torx screws although one was stupidly tight. Replacement fuse is Land Rover part LR080540 and is just the fuse itself and costs around £5. I should have bought two and kept a spare but there you go, live and learn! It didn't occur to me that the whole thing might need replacing which is just as well as I've run out of swear words for the moment and wouldn't want to get to the starter motor end.
Post #978117 15th Jan 2023 4:38am
blackwolf

In that case the instruction.to replace the cable is probably yet another WSM error.
Post #978147 15th Jan 2023 11:31am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Looking at your original post, that weird electrical smell could have been your megafuse failing, given it’s 500 amp the melting conductor would, I expect, cause a noticeable burning metal smell.

The thing I would check out is why the fuse blew in the first place, especially after driving around after the starter had been replaced. Is the positive cable attached to the starter intermittently being grounded while driving, either at the point where it’s connected or the cable sheath is damaged. In those cases it could vibrate and momentarily ground, or it could be arching to ground , especially in wet / damp weather. These conditions could cause the megafuse to blow in the way you describe.

In essence talk to the mechanic who did the work to check for the above, else the fuse will likely blow again.
Post #978162 15th Jan 2023 12:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>