↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Non-starter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Given that the OP states that the old starter smelled of leaking electricity and that the vehicle had not started correctly at all after the new motor was fitted, I feel it's quite likely that a fault with the old motor blew the MF and it is ok now. It would be interesting to dissect the old motor.

The alternator feed to the battery is also connected through the MF and is well known to chafe against the engine and can short to ground, usually with catastrophic consequences, so it is prudent periodically to inspect the engine harness for chafing.
Post #978169 15th Jan 2023 1:00pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I think I hammered the starter so hard it gave up. I drained two batteries in about 30 minutes, recharged both overnight and did it again the following day. I thought the batteries weren't holding their full charge because the starter was getting slower and slower. I was connecting both batteries to give it extra oomph which makes for a lot of power.

Now the old starter is off you can tell that's where the smell is coming from, it stinks. I've totally burnt it out which is probably why the fuse blew. I think the reason why the car wouldn't start was because the glow plugs were old and knackered so I've over stressed the starter and killed that. Luckily I got the mechanic to change the glow plugs while he was there so if they're still not working it'll also be a fuse or relay.
Post #978189 15th Jan 2023 4:10pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Given that the OP states that the old starter smelled of leaking electricity and that the vehicle had not started correctly at all after the new motor was fitted, I feel it's quite likely that a fault with the old motor blew the MF and it is ok now. It would be interesting to dissect the old motor.

The alternator feed to the battery is also connected through the MF and is well known to chafe against the engine and can short to ground, usually with catastrophic consequences, so it is prudent periodically to inspect the engine harness for chafing.

Your right, I misconstrued the original message, thinking the mechanic had done the job and then the OP drove it and it failed.
Post #978263 15th Jan 2023 11:14pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Quick update (for people who search this in the future)...

Car started instantly this morning, -8⁰c in London and the coldest night since 1987 according to the wireless. So I'm declaring it fixed and will assume it was the glow plugs causing a cold start issue which stressed the starter motor, burning it out (the weird electrical smell), drained the battery and blew the mega fuse. All now replaced and working.i

Which was the point of the update, not just working well it's running really really well. It's the most lively it's felt in a long time. Parts cost me about £350 (battery, starter, glow plugs x4 and mega fuse) and the mechanic charged me £140 to fit the starter and plugs.

If your car is getting a bit reluctant to start, around,100k miles and 12 years old it's worth replacing these bits. Thanks everyone.
Post #979369 23rd Jan 2023 2:53pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Curiously I have also just fitted a new battery and a new starter, due to my long-standing intermittent failure-to-crank problem seeming to get a bit worse. The original motor and battery were from 2007 and have been on the vehicle for 260k miles.

The new battery and starter does seem to have transformed the starting experience in a very positive way so far.
Post #979434 23rd Jan 2023 8:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12