↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Knives and the UK law
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Knives and the UK law
Further to my Gerber multi-tool post, I got to thinking about whether having one of these tools on my person is actually legal in the UK. Because the blade is over 3" and can be locked in place it can only be carried with a "good reason". That begs the question, do I have a good reason?

I want to use the multi-tool for couple of things. When I'm away from home for fixing/repairing our RC models which frequently require maintenance when out with them. Also for general camping duties when we do that. I won't be just wandering round with it if I'm not doing those things.

Online research suggests that good reasons are for work or trade and religion, or exhibiting at a gallery, but that a court will decide if the police think your reason is not good enough. I can't see any reference to hobbies or camping being classed as good reasons.

Is my use likely to land me in trouble, or am I needlessly concerned? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #976887 6th Jan 2023 12:08pm
nitram17

Your worrying to much! context is the thing ..if the police have a reason to search you ,you might if your unlucky fall fowl of the law(i dont think the law has caught up with multitools)..Using it for the activities you describe I doubt any plod would give you a second glance.Just about anything could be classified as an offensive weapon..its all about context.
Post #976889 6th Jan 2023 12:21pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i wouldn't worry ive worn mine for 30+ yrs without an issue.

lots of police carry them, military carry and use them.

a few folk ask about it when you whip it to use it on something and many compare it to a swiss army knife set up.
Post #976890 6th Jan 2023 12:46pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Totally agree with Nitram17, a) you are worrying too much and b) it's all about context. When my mother was alive I used to load up some gardening tools and drive to her house to help with the garden. Part of my "toolkit" was an old carving knife with a 10" blade for digging weeds out of the lawn, the fact it sat in the back of the car along with a rake, trowel, fork, spade and a packet of Weedol put it into context. Knowing how over stretched the police and the CPS are at the moment I wouldn't worry. Buy your new multi tool and enjoy it. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #976893 6th Jan 2023 12:53pm
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
While there will be many, many people who carry things like this without issue, the law is pretty clear.

It's fine to carry it when (and only when) you have a good reason to.

So if you need it for the type of things you say, and you happen to be stopped by the police while doing those activities, or are on the way there (or back) then you won't have a problem. But when you're not doing those things, then you don't have a good reason to have it with you.

The issue is when people carry them all the time, because sometimes they need them. Or just have things like that in the glove box 'just in case'. The law doesn't allow for 'it's sometimes handy to have a locking knife with me'. Of course if you were a farmer or similar, and that this type of tool is essential and that you are effectively always 'on call, then maybe you'd be fine. But I imagine there are few of us that could successfully win that argument.

I used to keep a locking knife, amongst other tools, in/on the dash of my old series 3. When giving a family friend a lift, who happens to be a magistrate, I received a proper talking to about how they'd had to convict/fine/sentence people for that sort of thing. When protesting about common sense & discretion, I got further details of them having to convict people who clearly had no ill will, but if the police arrest you for it, the magistrates hands are pretty much tied as the offense is one of possession. If you have it on you, and don't have a good enough reason, then you are guilty of the offense.

His suggestion was that I should have the screwdrivers, and knives in a tool box, in the back, out of reach, where I couldn't grab them easily (perhaps in a fit of road rage?), and then I'd be able to quite reasonably argue that I needed to carry tools in an vehicle of that type.

I'd imagine the risk is pretty low, but you should be aware. If you're carrying something, and you don't have a good reason, and it happens to come to the attention of a police officer, then you could be in trouble.
Personal choice, and I did it for years, but I have to admit am a bit more careful in this space since my conversation.
Post #976895 6th Jan 2023 1:14pm
nitram17

Context is the key and its the police officer who should be using discretion. The OP should be fine within the activities he mentioned ........ magistrates are usually lay people who have court officials to guide them on the LAW.The police have better things to do than chase after bloke trying to fix his RC model with a multitool. Go to the pub with it in your back pocket is another kettle of fish and i wouldn't have it on display on my dash either.
Post #976898 6th Jan 2023 1:46pm
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
completely agree.

I'd got comfortable to the point that I didn't really give any consideration to generally carrying a knife or having it lose in the car etc. I realised (was reminded!!) that I was risking getting into some trouble for behaving in that way.

The OP won't have any issues for his intended purpose.
Post #976901 6th Jan 2023 2:26pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The last film about Ted Bundy called Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile.

There’s a scene where the traffic cop has stopped him and he has been taken in for questioning, in that scene the detective is going through all of his stuff that was in the boot of his car.

I was thinking at the time, I have all of that as well as a hand axe, zip ties and chains….. Whistle

Nothing to see here officer…. Laughing
Post #976909 6th Jan 2023 3:46pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Cheers all for your input. I'm sure I'm worrying unduly, but thought I'd get some views. I think my concern was exacerbated by all the knife crime stuff my local police post and that there was a gruesome murder (not knife related) in the park where I go with RCs.

I shall get on an order my Gerber. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #976916 6th Jan 2023 4:40pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Perhaps we should start a new thread on 'what a serial killers would keep in their car and what do you have?'

I'll start a list based on what I found today, all totally innocently carried:

Disposable gloves
work gloves
zip ties
gaffer tape
rope
para cord
hatchet
gerber multitool
pruning knife
folding knife
torch
wooly hat
balaclava

I'm sure there is / was a good reason for most of it......
Post #976930 6th Jan 2023 8:47pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Don’t you have some of them disposable full coverage plastic suits like they use when painting a car? Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #976931 6th Jan 2023 9:04pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
No but.... a full set of sprout pickers waterproofs and a roll of HD rubble sacks, that should protect me from traceable DNA sorry I meant rain..
Post #976932 6th Jan 2023 9:12pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Someone on here must have a clown costume and make up…… Whistle

I won’t mention the board and handcuffs. Free beer out of your own fridge for naming that one.

As an idea we could list what we carry…..and then everyone else could vote on which serial killer, real or fiction, we are…..
Post #976933 6th Jan 2023 9:20pm
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
Remember when having a machete for green laning was all the rage.
I think Land-rover or Camel used to sell a branded one.
Think the police may be interested if you had one in your cab now.
I’ve always preferred a Billhook better at cutting through bones, sorry I meant branches!
Post #976978 7th Jan 2023 12:01pm
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Not UK law, but I love telling this true story.

A family friend, an old boy now and ex US army, was travelling by plane to see his daughter on a domestic flight in the States just post 911, when he turned up at baggage check in he was asked all the usual questions about packing bags etc and then asked the new question; "was he carrying any type of knife", which was normal pre 911.

He was carrying the same pocket knife he had had for many many years, which he was very attached to, here he had two options hand over his knife that had sentimental value or miss his flight. He asked for a moment to think and backed away from the desk.

Using his brain he found in the airport a planter with a small indoor tree in it, knowing he was going to lose his knife if he jumped on the plane he buried the knife deep in the soil around the base of the planter, checked in his bags, jumped on the plane and visited his daughter.

Upon his return he retraced his steps to check-in, found the tree, dug up his knife and went home.

The power of lateral thinking and beating the rules - I love it. 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #976985 7th Jan 2023 1:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>