↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Knives and the UK law
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Basically none of us good folk can carry any knife.... however everyone else can carry what every they like..... Cheers Don.
Post #977009 7th Jan 2023 6:01pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The Gerber came today and we were out with RC Cars this afternoon so I took it. I wasn’t arrested, nor did I murder anyone, so good result all round Thumbs Up 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #977014 7th Jan 2023 6:19pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Post #977015 7th Jan 2023 6:22pm
Rescue01

nitram17 wrote:
Context is the key and its the police officer who should be using discretion. .

Discretion goes with common sense and unfortunately common sense is not so common these days.

Personally I have carried a knife of some description on me since I got my first SAK at sixteen and there have been only a handful of days that I have not had a knife on me.I can remember pre 9/11 days returning from Cyprus and getting stopped at security with my Leatherman Wave and after some chat between the security guys I was asked if they could use it to tighten some screws on the X-ray belt Laughing
Post #977061 8th Jan 2023 10:54am
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
A young mechanical fitter on an oil refinery was arrested after he popped out to the shops in his overalls with his work knife in his pocket, at the shops he intervened to stop a group of kids harassing a local chap (who has issues). When the local totally inexperienced coppers arrived they arrested everyone searched them then upon finding knife in fitters pocket let the local “little darlings” go home and detained the fitter. It took pretty high level intervention by site management and TU rep to get young fitter released.
So context might apply but also the inexperienced law enforcement officers we have out and about with little or no mentoring are a big factor.
Inside tool boxes (preferably locked) and remote from easy reach is the guidance I give. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #977069 8th Jan 2023 11:57am
nitram17

Context and common sense worked here!...if your in an altercation and you have a knife in your pocket(im assuming here he did not brandish it)and the coppers find it on you ,you will get arrested..and then it was all sorted out later.. It may have been an inconvenience for the young lad but they young copper diffused the situation got a possible offensive weapon off the board (imagine what would have happened to that copper if he knew about the knife ,let everybody go and it all kicked of an hour later) and the context was all sorted out later.Knife crime between youths is a hot topic today but law abiding citizens going about their business will have no problem from the police for using a multitool as in the op original post.I always have a leatherman multitool in the depths of the poachers pocket of my waxed jacket its been there for years and i am willing to take the risk as i believe in the common sense of the plod.
Post #977079 8th Jan 2023 12:59pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
HK07 wrote:
Not UK law, but I love telling this true story.

A family friend, an old boy now and ex US army, was travelling by plane to see his daughter on a domestic flight in the States just post 911, when he turned up at baggage check in he was asked all the usual questions about packing bags etc and then asked the new question; "was he carrying any type of knife", which was normal pre 911.

He was carrying the same pocket knife he had had for many many years, which he was very attached to, here he had two options hand over his knife that had sentimental value or miss his flight. He asked for a moment to think and backed away from the desk.

Using his brain he found in the airport a planter with a small indoor tree in it, knowing he was going to lose his knife if he jumped on the plane he buried the knife deep in the soil around the base of the planter, checked in his bags, jumped on the plane and visited his daughter.

Upon his return he retraced his steps to check-in, found the tree, dug up his knife and went home.

The power of lateral thinking and beating the rules - I love it.

Similar story to yours. Had a friend who flew out to Maderia shortly after 9/11. A day or so after landing he and the wife were walking down the only sandy beach on the island, he put his hand in his pocket and pulled out two live shotgun cartridges. To take the biscuit he'd worn that jacket as he left the UK via Heathrow.

Deciding not to tempt fate again he lobbed the cartridges in the sea. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #977313 10th Jan 2023 8:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12