↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Lanoguard chassis treatment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
If you want to turn it black melt a small tin of black boot polish in to it..

Jim
Post #990832 29th Apr 2023 9:58pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I actually used Lanoguard as it wasn't as thick as dinitrol and I could see through it (ish) so I could keep an eye on the state of the chassis. For me, adding a pigment of some kind would defeat that.

Also another thing I like about Lanoguard is the fact that if you do get overspray on something then it's not too much of a big deal. Adding a pigment could end up on your garage floor/driveway/anything else nearby - including you. I already get enough bol****ings for getting oil on things without adding anything else 🙃.

Still on the fence as to how good it is as I need to give the underside of the truck a good inspection since using it.

Also, whilst it is easier to apply than dinitrol etc, I still think you want to spend a good day getting into all the nooks and cranies. I also wonder that if you have to renew it more than the dinitrol etc, could some areas be more likely for it to wear off quickly?

I think some good real world feedback would be good, especially about longevity and frequency of applications to maintain good protection.

One of the big pluses for me for Lanoguard or lanolin based products is it being less messy if you have to clean it off to do more work. With my vehicle being 30 years old I know I have ongoing maintenance to do and I find that the thicker black treatments are so messy and get absolutely everywhere when I try to clean them off (including in your hair). Also, once you have done any work, having the spray ready to reapply it when you are finished is a big help.
Post #990837 30th Apr 2023 12:47am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
My experience of Lanoguard - 2 years on.

This is based on 24 months of use on both my Defender (Miffy) and Freelander2 (Phoebe), both are used regularly and all year round. These are not occasional use weekend vehicles and that is stated for context, they are used regularly and in all weathers and conditions. Trust me when I say we get them all here in Wales... Rolling Eyes Additionally I have used other more traditional chassis treatments over many years, including Waxoyl, Tetroseal, Dinitrol and engine oil.

Experience

Lanoguard is a super easy product to apply, so much much easier than the age old traditional Waxoyl style chassis treatment, especially within the chassis. Unlike Waxoyl, Lanoguard does not require warming up, but it does help. The constant to-ing and fro-ing with super heated wax and the time delayed effectiveness of the spraying nozzle as the wax cools. No need for an air compressor. It is a pain but consider it a life skill Rolling Eyes I do like how easy Lanoguard is to apply and as such it is a DIYers dream chassis treatment.

As a personal preference I would prefer a black chassis and the weird greedy-brown tinge is a bit meh! but I can live with that and reputedly the addition of liquid Kiwi boot polish works as a colouring. I have not tried it yet.

The slight sheep whiff is not a problem and it dissipates relatively quickly.

Lanoguard goes a long way... 2 litres is enough to do both of my Land Rovers, whereas to Waxoyl just Miffy will take a 5L tin. Cost of a 2L refill of Lanoguard is £56 and a 5L refill of Waxoyl is £36.

But...

Lanoguard appears to wear off much much much much quicker than other traditional treatments, especially in higher impact areas like wheel arches and suspension components. My experience so far is that Lanoguard is at best a 12 month repeat application and preferably before winter begins. It is not a spray and forget treatment. Regular top-up applications are essential bordering on critical for continued protection. This is undoubtedly due to the thinness of the application of Lanoguard. As such the price difference over two years between Lanoguard and Waxoyl will be fairly equal.

It does not "set" as completely, remaining tacky, as the traditional treatments and as such dust and dirt adheres to it making the chassis and components constantly filthy.

If Lanoguard is not completely used up after the first use it appears to grow some sort of mould, long strand-like filaments that block up the trigger filters and nozzle. At the end of the day it is an organic treatment and as such I do not think it should be kept long-term at ambient temperatures. My 2L bottle was kept in the garage at atmospheric temperatures. Perhaps this is a one-off experience but it did make the second application frustrating as the system kept blocking up. In some ways more frustrating than Waxoyl to be honest.

Conclusions

I think I will continue with Lanoguard for one more year and give the boot polish tinting a go, but I am considering using a different product in high impact areas, such as the wheel arches. Lanoguard just doesn't, in my experience, cope well in wheel arches or on suspension components within. It is however, excellent for getting in to blind spaces and inside the chassis or cross-members. Perhaps a two pronged approach is best here, Lanoguard in low impact areas and something else in high impact areas.
Post #990862 30th Apr 2023 9:22am
neon1991

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Firenze Red
used it for 3 years and since buying a newer defender last week, I'll be using it again. cant add much more than has already been said but it certainly helped. I'm not a fan of waxoil after using it for years on previous cars. it seemed make things worse in the long run. The key for lannoguard for me is the ease of application. I't takes 5 mins to have a look at the very prone areas, give them a brush down and reapply.
Post #993099 18th May 2023 8:30am
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
When I bought my kit there were business cards for a Friends and Family Discount Code.

Text LANO to this number and get a text back with a code, it doesn't seem to work, has anyone who purchased recently noticed of these cards are still included? Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #1005331 24th Aug 2023 5:31pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Nope. No cards with my last order.
Post #1005332 24th Aug 2023 5:37pm
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
Thumbs Up Thank you, at least I'm not missing out or have already missed out Big Cry Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #1005356 24th Aug 2023 8:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12