↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Reverse switch issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mmddbb

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Reverse switch issues
I’ve got an issue with my 2008 2.4 tdci Puma. The reverse light suddenly stopped working. From looking at various topics on the forum it appeared the problem was likely to be the reverse switch.

I bought a new switch and replaced it, removing the cubby box etc. Quite difficult to access (the main problem was getting the connector off) but new switch in, screwed in tight, all connected back up but … reverse light still not working.

I then tested the loom connector wiring by shorting the two pins and putting a multimeter on the reverse light - that reads 12V. I’ve also used contact cleaner on the loom connector.

Thinking that the replacement switch might be at fault, I’ve also put a couple of tail wires on the new switch itself and tested the resistance from the reverse switch with the multimeter. When on the bench and not connected to the gearbox, the switch seems to be working as it should. However, when it’s screwed in to the gearbox, it’s not showing any change in resistance, which is making me start to think that there’s some issue with whatever mechanism it is within the gearbox that actuates the switch.

Anyone experienced anything similar or have any other pointers or things to check?
Post #975795 27th Dec 2022 1:42pm
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I had the same problem, albeit on a 2003 TD5, where I messed about changing the switch only for the reversing light to still not work. In the end it was a simple fuse that had blown…..

Jim
Post #975806 27th Dec 2022 3:46pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Swap over the fog light with the reverse light. If that works it’ll show you that it’s the bulb holder that’s broken.

I had the same issue. Swapped them over and the reverse bulb holder was at fault. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #975807 27th Dec 2022 3:50pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Check this thread. Sounds similar.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic81093.html 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #975809 27th Dec 2022 3:57pm
mmddbb

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think it was the fuse or the bulb holder but I checked these again just to be sure.

Inspired by the thread that Dinnu posted, I got myself an endoscope from Amazon. This is a handy little gadget and quite inexpensive - I can see that it is going to come in handy in future and can recommend this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MT6ZVTZ?ref...E_DDE_dt_1

Anyway, that revealed the reverse selector moving back and forth in front of the threaded hole where the reverse switch fits. It's a bit hard to see much but I think I can make out a bit of wear and possibly a small channel in the selector. Video here.

The reverse selector looks a bit tapered, so I think the risk of the selector catching/binding on the switch if you were to follow Dinnu's suggestion on the other thread of shaving a millimetre or so off the bolt/hex is relatively low, but this would require further careful investigation.

Still, taking into account the suggestions on the other thread and thinking about the depth at which the switch sits in the gearbox, I decided to buy another switch to test. The 'new' one I was using was an OEM but not Genuine part. I decided to test out a generic Transit part again, I'm afraid, an Amazon special - all of my usual suppliers are closed for the Xmas break and I've got a bit of time on my hands so wanted to progress this. This is the switch I purchased: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08RJ3DHJ7?ref..._DDE_dt_1. This looks like a generic Chinese part but lists the various Transit part numbers which I checked and cross referenced against the LR part. It has the same two pin connector.

After carefully comparing the original, 'new' and 'newest' switches for thread length and ascertaining that the Amazon special probably wasn't going to lock my gearbox I decided to give it a go. The lengths of the switches are all identical; the only difference between the newest switch and the others is the type of rubber seal used. The (LR spec) original and new switches have a slightly thicker tapered rubber seal, whereas the newest switch has a simple rubber washer.

I decided to remove the rubber washer, just to see whether the newest switch would work and to maximise the depth of the switch in the gearbox. Screwed in, tested with multimeter. Lo and behold, it works, so my reversing light and camera are now back in operation!

I will keep monitoring whether removing the seal gives rise to any leaks or anything else untoward - but for now I'm just pleased not to have to keep rummaging around under the cubby box!
Post #975869 28th Dec 2022 1:34pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Thank you for the feedback, and good to hear that you found the cause of the issue.

One thing I would suggest is to check the stiffness or force required of the ball plunger. You do not want a stiffer spring inside the switch that could accelerate the wear on the reverse selector shaft. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #975885 28th Dec 2022 5:11pm
mmddbb

Thanks and good point. The new switch seemed to have slightly less spring resistance than the LR specific ones - will keep it under review though!
Post #975896 28th Dec 2022 7:32pm
spudfan

Ireland 
The reverse light on our 2008 stopped working. Checked bulb and fuses and all were fine. Fitted new switch..still no light. The switch has a little gasket type thing at the end of the thread. It is very small. and thin. Removed this, screwed the switch back in and reverse light working again. Removing this gasket let the switch thread in that tiny bit more making betting contact with the selector .Working fine ever since. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #977509 10th Jan 2023 11:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1