↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Puma reversing light out - and it's not the switch!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
srlawr

United Kingdom 
Puma reversing light out - and it's not the switch!
The reversing light stopped operating on my 2008 Puma last week, so I went through the motions of checking the bulb (ok) wiring (ok) fuses (ok)... Which led me (though this forum!) to lift the cubby box out and replace the switch. When I got the old one out, I tested it with a multi meter and it was a bit dicky, maybe, and with the new switch on - manually depressed the light worked perfectly.

So I bolted it all back in and - lo - still no reverse light when put in reverse gear.

Took it all out again (it's a tight space!) and checked the switch, yep, fine. Even put the old switch back on and actually, it was pretty much fine. Put it back together though - and no reverse light on the gear change.

So I suspect it is whatever PRESSES the ballbearing on the LR077773 switch that is worn/broken.

That seems very much inside the gear box. Is it something I can access myself (as a moderate repairer?) or is it a professional / complex job.
Post #929203 9th Nov 2021 11:08am
dorsetsmith

ignition switch on engine running ?

12 volts dc at the switch Question
Post #929205 9th Nov 2021 11:24am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Are you sure that the switch is screwed fully home? I have encountered intermittent/non-functional reversing lights when the switch hasn't been fully screwed in.

It shouldn't be necessary to do anything to the gearbox internals (and there is nothing in there to adjust on the MT82).
Post #929215 9th Nov 2021 12:25pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check the grounding continuity on it, if you haven’t already and rear lighting loom stud and ground eye. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #929229 9th Nov 2021 1:46pm
srlawr

United Kingdom 
Thanks for input!

During testing, engine is on, but not running. With the switch "out" and in hand, reverse light operates at a small amount of finger pressure on the ball bearing. When screwed back in (as tight as we could muster) - no action. We tried with both new and old switch - which are visually pretty identical, and the light comes on with both, but only by hand - not when screwed in.

Also no light during engine running/driving.

Reverse gear selection and use feels otherwise fine too.

Grounds checked, and all other rear mounted lights working fine.

Definitely feels like the gearbox isn't "pushing the switch" - but happy to keep checking other options anyone can recommend!
Post #929244 9th Nov 2021 3:03pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
As I understand, the switch is mounted perpendicular to the reverse selector shaft. Once the selector shaft is pushed to select reverse it slides past the switch that would close the circuit.

It is clear that the OPs issue is of a mechanical nature.

Are you able to take a picture inside the hole while reverse is engaged? perhaps the ball on the old switch has worn the shaft to the extent that there is no switch activation anymore?

According to manual, tighten switch to 20Nm (15lb-ft). 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #929247 9th Nov 2021 3:20pm
srlawr

United Kingdom 
It is all back together again now, but from memory, I'd struggle to get anything I have with a camera on into that space for a picture. Maybe if I could borrow an endoscope from someone.. (my sister is a vet Sheep )

If it is the shaft that has worn down (as I have read somewhere loosely on the internet) .. other than a photo through the hole, is there any other way to get to it? At the moment all I can consider is getting the carpet up and removing the gear lever tunnel/lever assembly - but I don't think that will get me very far into the gear box, for all the effort/risk it involves..!
Post #929304 10th Nov 2021 10:54am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If it is the shaft, then a full gearbox strip would be required and that is a very non-trivial undertaking. For further info on this see forum member Gloucesternige's youtube channel, at

https://www.youtube.com/c/Defender90Keswic...nel/videos

He has some informative videos showing what happens inside the MT82.

If it is the shaft you might be better off fitting an illuminated manual switch for the reversing lights, since *I think* this is still legal (noting that it must have an indicator to show that the lights are on in this case).
Post #929305 10th Nov 2021 11:08am
Dinnu

Was wondering what if you can shave a millimeter or so from underneath the hex, so the switch can be screwed in deeper...Probably will not work and risk that you block the reverse selector shaft by the switch body if it goes in too deep. Worth a try though if you have access to a lathe. Engage reverse before screwing it in and finger tight only first, and checking that can go out of reverse. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #929311 10th Nov 2021 1:47pm
srlawr

United Kingdom 
Dinnu: Well, I'm glad someone else recommended that Laughing but you should have seen the look on my dads face (a significantly more advanced vehicle maintainer than myself) when I suggested we could do that Laughing

Out of interest then, I see a lot of "South Wests" in the reply locations here... can anyone recommend me a decent, fair priced Defender garage/maintenance shop who could do this kind of gearbox work?

I've had a couple of sub-par experiences over the years, could really do with finding a regular go-to place in/near Bristol.
Post #929376 11th Nov 2021 11:28am
Dinnu

Agree, it is not the perfect solution, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. The other option is a full gearbox strip down, which costs £££.

You have 2 good switches anyway Embarassed

Note that this has to be done with extreme caution.. so that the threaded part of the switch does not bind the selector shaft.

If the hex part is turned too low, can always add a copper washer to regain the height needed.

This is of course assuming that the selector shaft has a groove worn in it as is not pushing the ball in the switch far enough. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #929379 11th Nov 2021 11:39am
custom90

United Kingdom 
srlawr wrote:

Out of interest then, I see a lot of "South Wests" in the reply locations here... can anyone recommend me a decent, fair priced Defender garage/maintenance shop who could do this kind of gearbox work?

I've had a couple of sub-par experiences over the years, could really do with finding a regular go-to place in/near Bristol.

I go to Devon 4x4, granted it isn’t local but well worth the drive.
I have had excellent service with them. Thumbs Up
Had terrible experiences with main LR dealers, I won’t use them any more. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #929422 11th Nov 2021 7:49pm
The Anti Christ

Jamaica 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Any luck with this Lawr?

Having the exact same issue myself. Thought it was a faulty switch that had come back to life with a bit of WD40, but now has become unresponsive.

Got a new switch and nothing.

Test lamp lights up when connected to the switch socket, which also illuminates the reverse lamp. Interestingly does this regardless of what position the gear stick is in.

I.e. test lamp comes on once connected and key is turned on. Doesn't go off again regardless of shifter being in reverse, neutral or 1-6.

At my wits end now.... Big Cry Just fix it before your friends find out it broke again - Landy Life Forever!
Post #981722 8th Feb 2023 3:35am
srlawr

United Kingdom 
yes, indeed.

So in the end I sent the truck in the MJ Fews down here near Bristol and they gave it a "one hour max" investigation.

When I picked it up again it was fixed! and here is the story...

The original switch was indeed just worn out, as they are inclined to do, and just didn't depress hard enough to close the contacts any more.

The new switch I had bought and fitted - at great labour effort by my dad and I - was (they said) "a cheap piece of crap" and though it looked right and fitted the hole, was not engineered well enough to receive the millimeter action of the gear selector to depress it.

The solution was to fit a proper, new, Land Rover switch - and it worked first time, and every time since.

For the record, the switch I bought (brand unknown) was about £9 .... the proper one the garage fitted I think was about £15. They even let me keep my one, which isn't even any good as a paperweight.

I dunno if that will help you, but what i learnt is that the margins for this switch are very, very small to push that ballbearing in, and some non-OEM switches, though it might look great and be brand new, might still just be sh!t.
Post #981740 8th Feb 2023 11:05am
The Anti Christ

Jamaica 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Thumbs Up Okay, thanks for shareing your experience...

Got me thinking about the wear on the switch AND on the gear shifter contact on the inside of the gearbox...

Looked at a few other threads (this seems to be an all too common issue with PUMA's)

A few other gents had luck with simply removing the rubber washer at the base of the switch.

Turns out my old switch was working fine, but the actual internal end of the gearstick had worn ever so slightly, but enough to not give enough travel to the ball/spring mechanism in the switch. So all the switch needed was to thread in a couple of turns to compensate.

I've run a very thin bead of grey silicon gasket maker in place of the rubber washer to reseal any possible leakage that may occur ( which I doubt but just to make sure).

A simple test for the switch is to simply unscrew from the gearbox, reattach plug and press with your finger.

That slight amount of travel is all that's required to close the contact to activate the light.

Anyway...now I have two working switches. Replaced the new one in its box until I really need to replace the old one.

My only lingering question is....what happens when the internal contact of the gear stick wears further with the washer already removed. Neutral

Might have to skim a hairs breath of material from the base of the switch so it can go in still further.... Just fix it before your friends find out it broke again - Landy Life Forever!
Post #982037 11th Feb 2023 6:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>