Home > Puma (Tdci) > Sound Proofing Experiences
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Sound Proofing Experiences
Hi,
I have been giving this some thought and I am not sure what to do. Trundling around I don't have any issues with noise. When I do some longish distance solo trips I don't worry about the noise.

Next year we will be taking the Puma down to the Med and have a bit of a circular holiday road trip so I assume we will cover 2k+ miles. So I am thinking more about my wife and having a conversation and some music without the need to shout etc Compared to my 300tdi the Puma is much much quieter but I am not sure about a long road trip.

Can any of you who cover quite high mileages advise what you think of the noise in a Puma crusing around 70 for hours on end and have you added any additional sound proofing, if so what.

PS - a very load sound system does'nt count.... Very Happy

Cheers and thanks for your views/thoughts. BM52
Post #93210 7th Oct 2011 10:31pm
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
We holidayed around France when I first got Big Black. To be honest the noise wasn't really an issue, we could still have a conversation without having to raise our voices that much even at 75+. Suitcases and tents in the back suppressed quite a lot of the road noise, and the engine was never really intrusive, even with the volume on the radio quite low. The quality of the French roads helped a lot too, much less road noise than you seem to get over here! I'd say it was no worse than my old Astra on a long run.

My main complaint was the lack of bass on the stereo...
Post #93218 7th Oct 2011 11:17pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
BM

I have had a Noisekiller kit fitted for over a year now.

My DC had a lot of resonance and tyre noise that made it a bit of a pain on a long journey.
The NK kit does reduce this noise and a 6/8 hour motorway/A road journey is now a pleasure Thumbs Up

Not expensive and does not take long to fit so,in my opinion, worthwhile,

Bob
Post #93219 7th Oct 2011 11:24pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I put in my Noisekiller yesterday.

Mine's a Utility SW. There was a lot of resonance from the rear on normal dry roads. On wet or gravel roads the noise from the rear wheelarches was way too loud.

The NK seems to have done the trick.

I only bought the kit for the rear tub, and under the bonnet (not the whole kit).

Early days, but so far I am very pleased.

It took about 2 hours to fit, mainly because I was finding my way around the new car as I went. It I did it again, it would take half the time... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #93221 8th Oct 2011 5:07am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi BM

I have been using noisekiller kits in every car I have owned in the last 10 years and have found them to be excellent. When I bought the 110 however I didn't think the full kit was necessary. If you have LR mats for instance they are quite thick - especially the rear loadspace one - and they go straight on to quite thick carpet so another layer of noisekiller isn't going to make a huge difference to those areas.
Also if you look at the bulk head area Land Rover have done a pretty good job insulating what was never designed with accoustic properties in mind.

IMHO the only areas of the vehicle that need a bit extra are the engine and the rear wheelarches -especially the area immediately behind and to the side of the rear seats (where the wheel arch slopes downwards to the floor there is just a big square of exposed metal. I found a lot of road noise coming from that !)

So, for the engine I got noisekiller's engine blanket. Expensive at £90 ish but fitted in minutes, easily removeable and I was impressed with the result. For the wheel arches I used a combination of butyl flashing and noisekillers barrier mat - so I only spent about £150. Not sure if putting any more in would be law of diminishing returns stuff - alot of messing about with little result.

Not long after buying the 110 I had a couple of long trips to London and back which meant virtually all day at motorway speeds. Never owned or driven a Landrover before and couldn't believe how comfortable or 'not noisy' it was. The only thing that was irritating was the tinny sound of the radio but there's plenty of suggestions on this forum on how to improve it. I prefer the (now more muted) sound of the white van man puma engine anyway !
Post #93231 8th Oct 2011 8:13am
wurzell

United Kingdom 
hi Very Happy i used dynamat in swmbo,s 90 although its not land rover specific you have to cut to size we are very pleased with the results,ive used it for many years in lots of different cars and have found it to be a great product quite expensive but worth it imho Thumbs Up paul n tash
Post #93232 8th Oct 2011 8:24am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Noisekiller Thumbs Up 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #93233 8th Oct 2011 8:38am
pom

dont forget to to wrap the handbrake in baking foil to stop second degree burns on your leg after a days driving. Thumbs Up

Pom
Post #93241 8th Oct 2011 9:25am
Tim_NZ

Australia 
On a side note.... the "new type" door seal made a huge difference to the noise levels in my 110.

Info here: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic6370.html

Cheers,

Tim
Post #93250 8th Oct 2011 10:16am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
mines got the updated seals but LR seem to have forgotton the back door as you can see daylight right across the bottom edge - well on mine anyway Shocked
Post #93259 8th Oct 2011 12:22pm
AlpenAndes

Austria 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Belize Green
Hi,

at the dealer here behind the Andes where I bought my 110 SW it was not even known that they are available with a carpet, so I got it with a skin of plastic on the floor. Easy to clean, that is why I don't mind it, but really noisy. Above 100km/h no conversation was possible, not even thinking about listening to music.
First I fit noise killer, without the engine blanket. Not cheap but a huge improvement, conversations were possible, listening to music as well, not classic though, and stones hitting the body on the dirt road every day to work did not seem to fly through the inside of the car anymore. I also bought the foam from noisekiller to fit inside the roof, did not want to destroy the roof myself and asked the dealer to do it. They destroyed the roof and said the foam is to thick, which I found out was not the case, it was just the way they wanted to fit it. So, roof replaced and self adhesive foam destroyed.
I was still not happy enough and although Steve from noisekiller said it would not help a lot fit a rather inexpensive 10mm cotton fleece into the five doors, there is enough space between window mechanism and outer skin, the entire roof, this time myself, and inside all the covers you anyway need to remove to get to the roof. A lot less noise again. Then I put some inside the seat boxes, inside the dashboard, underneath the seats and the cubby box. As a forth step I also put some more on top of the NK on the floor.

Somebody called it once a white eagle on white ground. Still, if I buy another one, that would be one of the first things I would do before fitting any chequer plate. With all that it is now possible to listen to classical music and talk, not screem, on the handsfree with 120km/h. You hardly hear the noise when releasing the clutch too fast. The doors do not sound like a empty tin can, rather like a real car door profound clonk. As for the speakers, it helps quite a lot to fill the empty space behind them with sound proofing material. The experience of the hot hand break handle I cannot share, don't have that for some lucky reason.
It is not the same than in a luxury german car, but it was not a lot of work to improve the noise. I do not understand why this people can build Range Rovers with a silent cabin, but do not fit at least a bit of sound proofing in the defender.
I am happy, the only one worried is the dealer with no idea about the car they sell. They already warned me three times that they will not provide warranty when the car burns down after over heating because of being stuffed. A worry I cannot share.

Spring greetings from Santiago
Oskar
Post #93260 8th Oct 2011 12:23pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Thanks for all you advice and comments. looks like i have about three options.
1. fit just the engine blanket or with number 2 or 3.
2. go the full NK route.
3. put some Dynamat on the front floor, rear floor and wheel arches.

Has anyone jsut fiited the engine blanket on it's own and was it worth it?

Regards BM52
Post #93425 9th Oct 2011 5:29pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I have covered just about everywhere including the underside of the roof (yes headlining out) with sticky back sound proofing. I used either 10mm or 20mm thick.

Got it from here
http://www.acoustafoam.com/ 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #93442 9th Oct 2011 6:28pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
This Summer we covered 3000km in a standard 110 SW 7-seater driving around Italy - motorway and cart-tracks. There were six of us in the car and everyone talked, slept, listened to music, watched DVDs etc. with not one complaint about noise (or vibration!) In fact I think it's even quieter than our VW bus (T4).

The Puma may have a Censored gearbox but it certainly is the quietest Defender and it makes a bloody good "family car" Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #93452 9th Oct 2011 7:19pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I fitted a full NK kit to a couple of my TD5's and they made a marked difference - especially the under-bonnet and blanket. I've not found the noise in the Puma's that intrusive compared to earlier models so haven't bothered but might be tempted with an engine blanket. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #93464 9th Oct 2011 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>