↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Dinitrol Vs Waxoyl
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
johnnyboy

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Dinitrol Vs Waxoyl
Has this subject been aired yet if so please direct me to it, if not would be interested in your opinions as I am just about to spent some money.
Post #92984 6th Oct 2011 5:24pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Errr yes it has been covered more than once. Underneath the website banner above you will observe from left to right: Home, FOQ, Nwe Posts, PMs, Search, Members etc. The one entitled Search is the one you want. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #92990 6th Oct 2011 5:39pm
mermoto

Johnnyboy - Just did my Defender and after years of using Waxoyle decided to try Dinitrol which although is more expensive I prefer the finish.

Mermoto
Post #92996 6th Oct 2011 6:01pm
Lorryman100

I had mine done by Simon at the Waxworks in Morpeth( just up the road from you). Good price and a thorough job for IIRC £270.

http://www.thewaxworks.net/index.html

Brian.
Post #92997 6th Oct 2011 6:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
used both prefer dinitrol myself but im sure someone will disagree DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #93001 6th Oct 2011 6:13pm
CityDriver

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Does anyone know a good Dinitrol guy near London? Want a proper treatment and happy to pay for it when I get my 110.
Post #93002 6th Oct 2011 6:15pm
johnnyboy

Have jumped onto other forums and Dinitrol seems to be winning the argument of likes. Keep the comments coming please.
Post #93003 6th Oct 2011 6:18pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Dinitrol for me, comes out better in tests (do a search) and a lot easier to use but I do still love the smell of Waxoyl, brings back memories of all my old SAABs when I used to treat them with it Rolling Eyes They used to provide a tube with a nail in it Rolling Eyes
Post #93011 6th Oct 2011 7:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
df1

I have been waxoiling cavaties this evening, I am running into a lot of trouble lately getting the waxoyl to flow.

I use the pressure can with the hand pump and clear waxoyl. When I bought the refill gallon cans the waxoyl is very thick so I heat it up in boiling water until it flows like thinners.

The waxoyl will pump fine for a while but as soon as I lay the gun down for a minute it hardens in the pipe and I have to blow the whole lot out with an air line.

I tried applying it with a shutz gun - the same thing happened - work fine for a while then gunged up in the jet of the gun.

Any advise anyone ?
Post #93183 7th Oct 2011 7:37pm
johnnyboy

Used waxoyl 20 years ago same problem in cold weather, you can try thinning it with white spirit, not to much may help, you will just get more overspray and mist developing if you use a shutz gun. Also it may help to filter the waxoyl before you put it through the gun. Will be doing the same myself when I decide whether to use Waxoyl or dinitrol. Best of Luck

John
Post #93222 8th Oct 2011 6:00am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
df1 wrote:

Any advise anyone ?

Yes throw it in the bin and order a Dinitrol kit from Rejel.com (under code DIN02L) it's soooo easy to use! Careful thinning waxoyl with white spirits as the wax can simply slip down the sides leaving just a trace of spirits not wax, also careful not to get it on some rubbers/plastics/tarmac etc it can ripple/bubble some areas. E.G. your door seals Shocked
Post #93229 8th Oct 2011 8:08am
spudfan

Ireland 
I posted this in relation to a similar topic on this site. Seems like I am not the only one having problems.
"Waxoiling underneath our new arrival today and the plastic pipe attacing the nozzle to the cannister suddenly came loose. Good thing I was wearing goggles as they got clattered-as did everything else around me. Hell of a mess to clear up. Mission aborted until tomorrow-maybe." 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #93287 8th Oct 2011 3:36pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Ok, it's turned cooler outside but it isn't that cold.

Add a bit of white spirit but not too much - aim to thin it until it's the consistency of runny custard. The trouble with heating it is that unless you are using it in a warm atmosphere the liquid cools as soon as it leaves the sprayer, gets cooler as it travels through the air and even more-so when it hits cold metal. Years ago I made up a container with an inbuilt heating element into which I'd pour the Waxoyl and bring up to working temperature before transferring into my spray gear. However it was a faff and thinning with white spirit [but not too much] to suit the ambient temperatures is just as if not more effective.

Keep in mind that this stuff is flammable so do take precautions!

Seriously, as I've must have said a hundred times before this has to be one of the most fully covered subjects on the Land Rover forums so you are honestly going to do yourself a favour to spend some time Googling the subject so you can approach it armed with the benefit of experience and findings of others. There should really be no need to keep regurgitating the same stuff every few weeks or days Neutral Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #93293 8th Oct 2011 4:41pm
stevie d

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
If you have a decent air compressor Dinitrol is the way to go.

The gun they provide is very good , no clogging, minimal mess. Still a dirty job but no worse that other heavy mechanical jobs.

The starter kit they sell for a large car is more than enough and probably enough to touch up over the next couple of years.

Steve Thumbs Up Defender 90 TD5 Station Wagon
Discovery 3 HSE
BMW 330i Coupe
Post #93295 8th Oct 2011 4:54pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
Zagato wrote:
df1 wrote:

Any advise anyone ?

Yes throw it in the bin and order a Dinitrol kit from Rejel.com (under code DIN02L) it's soooo easy to use! Careful thinning waxoyl with white spirits as the wax can simply slip down the sides leaving just a trace of spirits not wax, also careful not to get it on some rubbers/plastics/tarmac etc it can ripple/bubble some areas. E.G. your door seals Shocked

I've just ordered some via their eBay auctions, Zag. I'll see how I get on with it.
Post #93297 8th Oct 2011 5:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>