↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Dinitrol Vs Waxoyl
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
If you have no compressor I suppose the Dinitrol gun is of no use? I suppose a tyre inflating compressor is no good. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #93299 8th Oct 2011 5:20pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Miserableolgit wrote:
Ok, it's turned cooler outside but it isn't that cold.

Add a bit of white spirit but not too much - aim to thin it until it's the consistency of runny custard. The trouble with heating it is that unless you are using it in a warm atmosphere the liquid cools as soon as it leaves the sprayer, gets cooler as it travels through the air and even more-so when it hits cold metal. Years ago I made up a container with an inbuilt heating element into which I'd pour the Waxoyl and bring up to working temperature before transferring into my spray gear. However it was a faff and thinning with white spirit [but not too much] to suit the ambient temperatures is just as if not more effective.

Keep in mind that this stuff is flammable so do take precautions!

Seriously, as I've must have said a hundred times before this has to be one of the most fully covered subjects on the Land Rover forums so you are honestly going to do yourself a favour to spend some time Googling the subject so you can approach it armed with the benefit of experience and findings of others. There should really be no need to keep regurgitating the same stuff every few weeks or days Neutral

Totally agree MOG about the recurant topics. I've been looking at this forum now for nearly a year and its amazing how something gets fully covered...then a few weeks go by...then the same question gets asked again only to be fully covered for the umpteenth time ! Laughing

But I love it as I'm learning all the time and everyone has something interesting or informative to contribute. And as my missus chides when yet again she sees me looking at Def2 'you're all just a bunch of middle aged fuddy duddys with nothing better to do' Laughing
Post #93309 8th Oct 2011 6:34pm
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Anyone know if you can mix the two (Not literally, I mean have the two on the same vehicle). I applied a shedload of Waxoyl to my MY11 90 before Zag became our resident anti-corrosion expert, and now I'd like to try some Dinitrol on some other bits I hadn't covered, before the winter. I'd like to know that if I apply one over the other if there's likely to be some kind of reaction.

Pete
Post #93312 8th Oct 2011 6:46pm
johnnyboy

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
If you have any doubts speak to the guys at RustBusters they supply both products tel 01775630958 I don't think there will be an issue, but then again I don't have to clear the mess up if it goes wrong.
Post #93318 8th Oct 2011 7:59pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
XS Pete wrote:
I applied a shedload of Waxoyl to my MY11 90 before Zag became our resident anti-corrosion expert,

Rolling with laughter Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #93321 8th Oct 2011 8:06pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter It seems poor old MOG isn't getting the recognition he deserves, don't forget he's been waxoyling motors for years Thumbs Up

Thank you for your kind words Pete but I am no expert....but Dinitrol is more of a solvent based product than Waxoyl so It's like spraying glue over wax. I used "Hammerite Underbody Underseal with extra Waxoyl" on my rear wheel arches as I had a bit left over in a tin (it's used for areas of extra abrasion!) and then did the usual Dinitrol treatment over the top and it has been fine - no cracking or any reaction. I really lathered the underseal stuff on thick with a brush as well so you should be fine Thumbs Up You can get Dinitrol stone chip stuff which is more like a gluey/waxy/paint....I couldn't find my cans Rolling Eyes hence why I used left over Waxoyl stuff!

Interesting that Rustbusters still use both products they must be a good source for feedback Thumbs Up

By the way Rejel.com are starting to sell Dinitrol packs with their own Rejel brand name on. These packs will still have the same Dinitrol inside but will be cheaper. On last contact they didin't have the DIN02L pack for a Landy available but will put one together for you if you ask Thumbs Up They still have to have the Dinitrol logo on the stuff they sell to the MOD Rolling Eyes MOD won't accept it without the logo....
Post #93344 9th Oct 2011 8:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
this is all very interesting to hear because I made my own DIY potion out of Hammerite underbody seal mixed with GT7 which is a product made by a company called Tech 7. It seems to have the same properties as ACF 50 so I sprayed it into every hole and cavity I could find - including the chassis. I then sprayed arerosol waxoyl into the chassis after it to seal it in and then pumped a large can of GT7 into the tin of hammerite, mixed it and then plastered everywhere with a brush.
It will be interesting to see who ends up with rust after a few years with all the many rustproofing processes seen on the forum.
Why oh why didn't Landrover offer a galvanised chassis(and bulkhead) as an option like say aircon ?
Post #93351 9th Oct 2011 9:41am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Pretty convincing treatment Rossy, sounds a top job Thumbs Up There won't be any gaps left in the chassis to let water in anyway I shouldn't think Thumbs Up

It is a shame about the galv chassis but it's not the total answer on it's own, the galv coat is sacrificial of course and damp/wet mud that constantly sits on the galv doesn't take that long to eat through. The best thing is to get a galv chassis and coat it with a rock hard paint then that really is pretty invincible if you keep the inners clean and waxed. A few LR re-builders have been shocked at how fast the galv has deteriorated on there chassis. One guy noticed rot after just two years but he was on a farm and poo is pretty aggressive stuff when added to the mix - knocks the hell out of concrete as most know. It's always a good idea to paint them anyway as they are less of an attraction to thieves and it looks more original I think.
Post #93352 9th Oct 2011 10:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thanks Zag. There's some useful info there.

Quote:
It seems poor old MOG isn't getting the recognition he deserves

Oops! Sorry MOG. I'll get my coat...

Pete
Post #93353 9th Oct 2011 10:05am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Zagato wrote:
Rolling with laughter It seems poor old MOG isn't getting the recognition he deserves, don't forget he's been waxoyling motors for years Thumbs Up

Oooh aaaar, the first one I recall [in my dreams] was some peculiar cobbled together hotch potch of parts from a surplus MB or GPW and Rover parts bin, damned funny looking thing with a steering wheel slap in the middle it had too. Was a bit like them Jeep things those Yank boys used to cut about the lanes in during the War, them and their damned nylons and chewing gum, they used to pull all the girls. Back then of course there where only the old boys in the pub who were more used to shrinking iron tyres on tumbrels and none of this going 'online' as they calls it and endlessly quizzing all in sundry about how to do this or that for a few months and then being given the title of 'expert' for doing so Thumbs Up Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #93364 9th Oct 2011 11:17am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Miserableolgit wrote:
going 'online' as they calls it and endlessly quizzing all in sundry about how to do this or that for a few months and then being given the title of 'expert' for doing so Thumbs Up

Shame on you lot for calling me an expert....Laughing

The good ole days before the newfangled web Thumbs Up

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #93372 9th Oct 2011 12:15pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Definition of an expert (ex-spurt) is a "former drip, under pressure."

Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #93403 9th Oct 2011 3:13pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Laughing like it Thumbs Up
Post #93407 9th Oct 2011 3:30pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Zagato wrote:
They still have to have the Dinitrol logo on the stuff they sell to the MOD Rolling Eyes MOD won't accept it without the logo....

I'm surprised! Shocked In all my years in 'the Mob' there were very few POL (petrol oil & lubricants) products that had brand names on them. Yes smaller items (Araldite. Ambersil greases and Electrolube products for example) but most other items over a litre came in a plain coloured container with a Military code on! (for example OM15 which denoted it was an oil which was of mineral derivitive etc. etc.) There was however a Defence Standard record known as 'Def Stan' that you could enter or look up the code on and it would give you the manufacturer, and all the details and limits of the product!

Basically I believe (probably wrongly) that if 'all and sundry' knew exactly what it was and how good it was it would be more likely to be 'half inched' and used on God knows what for personal use! I do know that PX32 was brown waxoyl though and could 'theoretically' be utilised on your own vehicle(s) but of course I never ever would have dreamed.......... Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #93408 9th Oct 2011 3:49pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey

still don't know how to do this picture thing Embarassed

any way not sure where this was done but someone is gonna need alot of white spirits for all the over spray !

Rolling with laughter
Post #93705 11th Oct 2011 12:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>