↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Brake hose from ABS modulator
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
olivers

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Brake hose from ABS modulator
I’ve finally decided to replace the brake pipes down from the ABS box with hoses — much easier job to get in! Based on previous recommendation I got some hoses made at furoreproducts (https://furoreproducts.co.uk/custom-brake-hoses) and I chose the M10x1.00 union type (male swivel) on both ends.

Hoses came, looked great, so I set out to put them in, starting with the shorter driver side one. I was able to connect this without trouble, only noticed that the connectors were longer than the Land Rover ones so that some thread sticks out the top — I wouldn’t think this is a problem, or is it?

Now however, with the longer hose for the other side I ran into trouble. Unfortunately I had not removed the pipe before I ordered the hoses, and now I suddenly found that the connector on the modulator side is much bigger! It seems to have a 12mm diameter instead of 10mm, with the same thread.

Strangely, this is not an option even listed at Furore, I have no clue what this type is called and I haven’t found it mentioned anywhere. I can see at LR Workshop, in the diagram, that the different size holes on the modulator are shown in the images — but there is no mention anywhere of the union types used on the standard pipes, their names, sizes or anything. Any ideas about this?

Secondly, if you check out the photos below (specifically the one from the top), I noticed that the angles at the tips of the new connector (orange) are not the same as those of the pipe flanges — they are steeper. I’m wondering if that’s okay and will still allow a tight fit. I have one hose installed but no fluid in the system, so I can’t tell yet…

Click image to enlarge
Post #965471 19th Sep 2022 9:12pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
The middle one has totally different end - it has opposite cone. For sealing is the inner part, not the outer cone part. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #965491 20th Sep 2022 8:19am
olivers

Quote:

The middle one has totally different end - it has opposite cone. For sealing is the inner part, not the outer cone part.

Hm... if that's true then the problem is bigger than I thought. Any clue which of the options in the Furore shop (https://furoreproducts.co.uk/custom-brake-hose) would give me the correct result? Or even the larger size connector in the photo?
Post #965492 20th Sep 2022 8:25am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Cannot help with your problem, except to say that there are different flares on brake pipes.
See this thread for further information
Home > Technical > Overthinking Brake Pipes

Hope this points you in the right direction until someone can help with the specifics.
Post #965497 20th Sep 2022 9:02am
olivers

Quote:
there are different flares on brake pipes.

No question! However, in various videos I saw about brake pipes on Land Rovers, I never saw a flange that was not like mine. Never saw different size unions either! Strange thing altogether...

I think I saw the thread before which you're pointing out -- I'll have another look. Meanwhile very interested in case someone has the "goods" on this topic, i.e. what the correct union types are called or where to find them.
Post #965499 20th Sep 2022 9:07am
olivers

I've now had a reply from Furore. Two points:

1. The 10mm union should fit just fine in places where the pipe flange in the photo was previously used. Apparently this is a "dual seated" union, which is why it has both the concave and the convex section, providing it with broader compatibility with other parts. I asked about this specifically because I wanted to make sure I could use the hose I already installed.

2. They don't have a 12mm union type, but they should be available here: https://auto.helperformance.com/custom-car-braided-brake-lines -- that's the supplier used by Furore, and they should have hoses that are exactly the same (color, etc) but a broader choice of union types.

I'll go check availability now and hopefully find what I need. Thanks for your help, everybody!
Post #965515 20th Sep 2022 12:12pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
My 2010 defender has all DIN flares on as original, I recently replaced all my brake lines due to a couple of failures and close calls.
I used the DIN flare on the all new joints my thought was if it’s good enough for Land Rover it’s good enough for me! Didn’t have any issues. I bought a kit from a local Euro parts which had both the sizes of unions in 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #965516 20th Sep 2022 12:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
olivers

So did you make your own hoses with these unions? Do you have links for the parts you used?
Post #965518 20th Sep 2022 12:23pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
i didn't use hoses apart from the stainless ones at the calliper, i used copper kunifer/cunifer pipe which is a better choice due to its high wall strength for bending. i also bought a chip flare tool from eBay which was faultless.
it was a but tricky but because i could flare pipe i could put it in sections, obviously body off at the factory would have been very easy. 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #965590 21st Sep 2022 6:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
olivers

Fair enough, I see.

Well I started from the position that it's impossible to put in new brake pipes without dismantling much of the engine bay. Using segments occurred to me but that does seem like a lot of extra built-in fault points and of course many places would still be extremely hard to reach given the rigidity of the pipes. Using hoses instead apparently doesn't have any disadvantages -- several previous conversations had about this -- and it's obviously very much easier to do.

Turns out the one unexpectedly problematic step is to get hold of the correct union connectors -- who knew. But this will hopefully be sorted out soon and then I think this will be money well spent to avoid the hassle of pipe connections.
Post #965592 21st Sep 2022 7:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1