↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Replacement battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
geostrategist

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Replacement battery
Probably a daft question, but is a battery just a battery as far as a replacement goes, or are there brands that are best suited to a Defender (‘08 2.4 TDCi)?

(Or more importantly brands to avoid at all costs)
Post #964389 8th Sep 2022 9:49am
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Hi,

On the recommendation of other members on here I recently went for one of these

YBX5019 Yuasa Silver High Performance Car Battery 12V 100Ah HSB019
tayna.co.uk

It is spot on, may be in my head but it seems to start up much better too.
Delivery was quick and faultless. Thumbs Up

Last edited by ChrisDefender on 8th Sep 2022 10:33am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #964391 8th Sep 2022 10:30am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The factory fit is a "dual purpose battery" flooded wet cell, made by Varta, very similar if not the same as their LFD90 after maerket model. That has been superseded by an enhanced frame battery (EFB) who's part number I can't recall.

For normal use, a starter battery from any of the name brands will be fine. If you have a lot of extra accessories I would look to getting another dual purpose battery.

Don't be tempted by an AGM battery for starting duties, they offer no benefit and may have shorter life as they need chaging characteristics. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #964392 8th Sep 2022 10:30am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I concur with Bluest.. see my post at bottom of this topic https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic16605...p;start=30

I posted this on the 22nd May 2022 and the battery has performed perfectly since then, noting my Defender Puma 2.2 sometimes has several weeks between use. The acid test will be a few cold weeks in winter where I have not started the vehicle.
I think a dual purpose battery also pays dividends if you don’t have the facilities to trickle charge during the winter months and the vehicle is not started for several days.i can trickle charge so for me it’s a belts and braces approach, noting that the ALM module CH serial number can suffer a brownout and die if the main battery is significantly drained while vehicle is let standing for days / weeks.

Ianh wrote:
Just thought I would update this great set of posts on starter batteries.

The Varta LFD90 (Leisure,Flooded(wet) Dual purpose 90 amp hour) 800 CCA battery is generally accepted as the battery rebadged by LR and fitted in Puma defenders. Being dual purpose it is both a starter and a leisure battery, providing better deep cycle performance compared to a dedicated starter battery.

These batteries are still available but I have been advised by Tayna batteries they are being discontinued. Their replacement being the Varta LED95 ( Leisure, EFB (enhanced flooded battery) Dual purpose 95 amp hour) 850 CCA battery. This is also a dual purpose battery but being an EFB has even better deep cycle, CCA and Amp hour performance than the LFD90 while still being a wet battery.

EFB technology is a half way step between standard flooded(wet) and AGM batteries in both performance and price.

My understanding is that AGM batteries are not best served by our old school alternators, which results in the AGM batteries never performing or lasting as long as they should. However as the EFB is a wet battery it performs well with our alternators.

I have therefore just purchased a Varta LED95 (circa £134) and will report on its performance once it arrives and I fit it. As my 2.2 puma is not in daily use the low drain and deep cycle properties of this dual purpose battery were key decision points in its purchase.

Alternatives considered were wet dedicated starter batteries from Varta, these being the 019 G3 blue dynamic -95ah 800 CCA circa £90 delivered and the 019 H3 silver dynamic - 100ah 830 CCA circa £101 delivered. If I used my defender more often I would have gone for the silver dynamic.

Varta do an 019 G14 silver dynamic AGM - 95ah 850 CCA circa £163 delivered, but given the price and my concerns on how it will perform with our alternators I did not go that route.

Worth noting the Varta LED95 looks to be the same as the Varta N95, the former with 2 year warranty and £134 the latter with a 4 year warranty and £138. However I expect both to well outlast 4 years especially with trickle charging in the winter.
Post #964394 8th Sep 2022 11:58am
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
I'll link to another post, again a user with a 2.4 Puma : https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82362.html

I know there is an argument of Enhanced Flooded (EFB) vs Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) with lots for comments for and against both flavours of battery.

I've had a Varta G14 AGM fitted, had zero problems with it. Yes it is slight more expensive, but the peace of mind of not having liquid sulfuric acid in a plastic container under the passanger seat scared me Shocked Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #964397 8th Sep 2022 12:27pm
glpinxit

United Kingdom 
At my last service, in March, the (independent) garage said that they recommended that I replace the battery in my Feb 2014 Puma before the next winter. They also said that although the AGM is now recommended by Land Rover for the Puma they hadn't seen many that lasted beyond 4 years. No prizes for what I'll be replacing the original lead-acid one with. Cheers, Guy.
Post #964664 11th Sep 2022 6:00pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Halfords sell the Yuasa batteries - more than up to the job. Not cheap, but very well recommended. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #964665 11th Sep 2022 6:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
ChrisDefender wrote:
YBX5019 Yuasa Silver High Performance Car Battery 12V 100Ah HSB019
tayna.co.uk

It is spot on, may be in my head but it seems to start up much better too.

This is the same one I have, and this is no a placebo I feel the same way and on paper the specs are actually an upgrade from the factory fitted spec.
Not a massive upgrade but a small upgrade all the same. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 20th Sep 2022 1:59pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #964671 11th Sep 2022 7:55pm
geostrategist

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Thanks all.

I went with the YBX5019 Yuasa
Post #965530 20th Sep 2022 1:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
👍🏻 Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #965534 20th Sep 2022 1:57pm
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have had my Defender 90 Puma for 5 years so far without a battery change......

When not being used I do keep a Cteck charger connected.

Is 5 years pushing my luck????? Cheers Don.
Post #967446 12th Oct 2022 2:05pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Reading your other posts your Puma is 13 years old, so if you’re still on the original battery it’s done really well, but if it’s been trickle charged regularly then that’s unsurprising as it’s the deep discharging that impacts wet batteries most.

If on the other hand it’s a genuine battery but only 5 years old, has been trickle charged regularly and starts first time in the winter when left a couple of very cold days without charging then it’s still performing well and won’t need replacing for a few more years.

Also if 13 years old you will have the 10AS alarm unit which is not hit by the brownout caused by a low charge state battery, so the worst case is the battery will start to fail and at that point you replace it.
Post #967465 12th Oct 2022 4:41pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My 2007 Defender is still running on its original battery. Prior to COVID it was used daily, throughout COVID, when it was not used for long periods, I left a CTEK charger connected. In the post COVID era it is no used as much as it was pre-COVID and I connect the CTEK if I am not going to be using it for a week or more.

I have no idea how long the battery will last, but I am already impressed.

It is a lack of use which kills batteries, batteries in vehicles in regular use will generally last much longer.
Post #967469 12th Oct 2022 5:46pm
Dirky4316

United Kingdom 
CTEK CHARGER
Can anyone recommend a charger to get and from where please? I've just changed my original battery for an Exide was so surprised when it started immediately! Thought I was in a new defender😂
Post #974855 16th Dec 2022 11:10am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Ctek is generally the go to make on the forum , MXS 5 for most, MXS 7 my choice, MXS10 for a few.

https://www.ctek.com/au/battery-chargers-1...gLODfD_BwE

Do online search for best price.
Post #974868 16th Dec 2022 12:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>