Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
County V8 wrote:
Don’t get me started on matrix headlights a solution looking for a problem

Brilliant lights!

I’ll need to check mine, when driving, dash says side lights are on and when stationary the front DRLs (which are the side lights also) and rear lights are on Confused 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #964308 7th Sep 2022 4:55pm
Dicky1961

England 
My thoughts exactly, change should always be for the better, never a backwards step.
And this light debacle is definitely backward.
Post #964316 7th Sep 2022 5:20pm
County V8

United Kingdom 
When you have a matrix car behind you it's always flashing at you and last week when travelling as a passenger in relatives car fitted with them have never been flashed at so much he said oh they always do that.

Why can't we be trusted to be in charge of our own vehicles you see so many people not switching their headlights on iim rain or fog because they think the DRLs are onto drive on and why no rear DRLs iim UK are we half as safe.
Post #964319 7th Sep 2022 5:27pm
Dicky1961

England 
Hi J77, if you’ve got the matrix lights they may work differently to my premium led’s.
Side lights on when parked ( front drl’s go dim ) when I move off the rears go out and the front drl’s return to normal brightness.
Post #964320 7th Sep 2022 5:29pm
J77

Scotland 
I had the premiums on my 90, always assumed my side lights were on when I switched them on. But possibly not! 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #964322 7th Sep 2022 5:37pm
County V8

United Kingdom 
"I had the premiums on my 90, always assumed my side lights were on when I switched them on. But possibly not!"

So what's happening with the trailer ?? do you have to get out and check
Post #964337 7th Sep 2022 7:47pm
Dicky1961

England 
Hi county v8 I pull a caravan which as lights front and rear so I can see through my mirrors that the lights don’t come on, unless I put the headlights on.
Post #964340 7th Sep 2022 7:57pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
County V8 wrote:
When you have a matrix car behind you it's always flashing at you ...

I have now had this many times and it is very irritating. I really cannot understand how car manufacturers managed to get such a terrible and unnecessary feature approved for road use.
Post #964343 7th Sep 2022 8:04pm
nowrxo

Evidently you've never driven a car with matrix lights. They are brilliant. They provide a far better spread of light than other types, and you don't have to worry about accidentally blinding someone else if you're a second too late in turning off your high beams.

Quote:

I've had a couple of cars with matrix lights, and have never once been flashed. That's the whole point - they adjust themselves so they don't dazzle other drivers. Perhaps they need adjusting or are faulty.

I wonder if you are getting confused with auto high-beams, which would look like flashing.

Quote:

Why can't we be trusted to be in charge of our own vehicles you see so many people not switching their headlights on iim rain or fog because they think the DRLs are onto drive on and why no rear DRLs iim UK are we half as safe.

Given the terrible standard of driving nowadays, I think more technology, not less would be better. Even if you took away DRLs, you'd still get people driving around with no headlights on at all. Perhaps if there were more police on the road it would help?

The problem is bad/ignorant drivers, not the cars they drive.
Post #964346 7th Sep 2022 8:55pm
J77

Scotland 
blackwolf wrote:
County V8 wrote:

I have now had this many times and it is very irritating. I really cannot understand how car manufacturers managed to get such a terrible and unnecessary feature approved for road use.

Matrix lights don’t flash. As above sounds more like high beam assist rather than adaptive beam. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #964351 7th Sep 2022 9:10pm
County V8

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
County V8 wrote:

Im glad others notice it its so bad get it all the time even pull over to let them past had I not experienced iii myself would not have believed the number of drivers flashing us.
Post #964352 7th Sep 2022 9:13pm
WizzardPrang

England 
Dicky1961 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, the DRL’S are only the front and not the rear so the only way to get your rear light’s on is to use the headlights / side light option, like I say when towing I like to have my caravan lights on, plus in certain lighting conditions I only want side lights and not headlights.
I find this really strange. Question

Ahh! I've never chosen to drive the Defender on just side lights but now I see what you're after. It's odd that JLR have removed such a basic feature. As others have said, car designers telling us what we want. Rolling Eyes

It'll be interesting to see if there's a work around. Current vehicle: 2020 Defender 110S
Gone: Defender 90 HT 200Tdi, Discovery Sport, Freelander 2

Insta: wizzardprang
Post #964357 7th Sep 2022 9:52pm
Dicky1961

England 
Yes it means you are waiting for the car to put your rear lights on or you have to put your headlights on.
Can’t be right surely.
Post #964358 7th Sep 2022 9:59pm
J77

Scotland 
Can confirm matrix lights work as intended, Drive will side lights on and rears were on whilst driving. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #964372 8th Sep 2022 7:30am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Our new Jimny has a similar system, it's either DRL's or auto headlights. I find the auto headlights annoying as they are constantly on and off on dull days when you drive under trees etc.

Fortunately the Jimny has a manual override but it means turning the column stalk headlight switch four positions past all the auto settings.

Also the auto high beam is frustrating as it won't come on at all under 30mph and if you slow down below 30mph they turn off !!
Just want you need on an unlit country road at night. Fortunately again there's a manual override.
Post #964377 8th Sep 2022 8:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>