↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Should I buy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Yes that's the thing, l don't know either.

lt is a risk, but l doubt l will get the chance again. l could just keep my lovely 110 Defender, nothing wrong with it and has been a great vehicle over 8 years and 85,000 miles.

Click image to enlarge

Or l could move into the modern age and get the car of my dreams

Click image to enlarge
Post #963934 3rd Sep 2022 10:53pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Personally I see one "head turner" on that post - and it isn't white.

I am sure the new Defender is more comfortable, faster more economical, safer, quiter, better sound system, many more features, etc - just like so many other modern vehicles. And I am sure it's more than capable off-road than you will need.

How many people that are not Land Rover enthusiasts will have a new Defender go past and think "that's a Land Rover". How many will think that when you drive past in your current (very nice) Defender?

Myself i am not a brand loyal person unless that loyalty is built on trust and reliability of the product, but many of us on thus forum like our British designed and built machines with British heritage. Many of the older Land Rovers, especially series and Defenders, have that quirkiness that commands a certain loyalty - after all, they have been the vehicle of our farmers and armed forces for so many years. But if you are looking to be brand loyal to an Indian owned company with a machine built in Slovakia?

Obviously you are at that point in life where enjoying what you have is important. Only you can say if you will get that from a new Defender. If that brand loyalty is important to you then it is important as it will make a difference every time you look at or drive it.

Also, where you can drive your vehicle is a big thing too - you can't ignore the LEZs and where they are going to spring up next.

What ever you decide I hope you make the right decision for you and the vehicle you chose gives you great pleasure, is reliable and affordable - you can't beat living life with a smile on your face!

Good luck 🤞
Post #963942 4th Sep 2022 12:13am
terryall

United Kingdom 
I’m going to dip my foot in and I’m taking a test drive in a 7 seater 110 s from 2020 that is still up for £60. Part of my reasoning is as I’m now over 70 and have to renew my licence every 3 years I dont know what the future holds health wise. All of a sudden I could have my licence taken away for health problems so I’m inclined to live my life now and not wait another year or 18 months to see if prices come down considerably. If it works out the whole deal is very neat local garage to me ( very good reputation), taking my mini as part x at agreed price, plus I’ve spoken to previous owner who was also a local garage owner and he kept me up to date on all the extras fitted or not!
I know its expensive I’m going to dip my foot in and I’m taking a test drive in a 7 seater 110 s from 2020 that is still up for £60K. Part of my reasoning is as I’m now over 70 and have to renew my licence every 3 years I dont know what the future holds health wise. All of a sudden I could have my licence taken away for health problems so I’m inclined to live my life now and not wait another year or 18 months to see if prices come down considerably. If it works out the whole deal is very neat local garage to me ( very good reputation), taking my mini as part x at agreed price, plus I’ve spoken to previous owner who was also a local garage owner and he kept me up to date on all the extras fitted or not!
I know its expensive but if all goes well after a test drive and I buy it the intention is to keep it as long as possible given future restrictions on diesel cars. Now there’s another topic - should you buy a diesel car at present!
Post #964449 9th Sep 2022 5:49am
terryall

United Kingdom 
Quick question - I see a lot of S class new Defenders for sale and also loads of SD4 both 2020 models. Are these the same version or was the SD4 slightly above the S in spec as I thought the S was the base model with reasonable spec but not outstanding?
Post #964977 14th Sep 2022 9:29am
Tim in Scotland

No such thing as an SD4 L663 Defender - the D200 4 cylinder 2 litre engine was superseded by a D200 straight 6 3 litre - then you had trim levels Defender, Defender S, Defender SE or Defender HSE, in the U.K. D200 engine is no longer available in either 4 or 6 cylinder power unit.
The under bonnet layout of the Ingenium engines is also different compared to older LR’s with the same power units to get around the “after thought” fitting of the DPF and oil dilution issues that were suffered by older applications. L663 unbonnet layout was designed to have the Ingenium DOF in the best place for it from the word go. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #964994 14th Sep 2022 11:35am
terryall

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland,
The plot thickens!
I have a factory print out of the spec on the Defender 110 I was looking at. The first line reads -
“ Brochure Model L663 2.0D SD4 AWD SDR SWB (BC663).

Which made me think there must be some difference between an S and a SD4 but I’m still not clear. It is also the more powerful 240ps engine and up for £58K as a 7 seater as just been reduced. No idea if its a good buy or not but tempting.
Post #965026 14th Sep 2022 5:25pm
terryall

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland,
The plot thickens!
I have a factory print out of the spec on the Defender 110 I was looking at. The first line reads -
“ Brochure Model L663 2.0D SD4 AWD SDR SWB (BC663).

Which made me think there must be some difference between an S and a SD4 but I’m still not clear. It is also the more powerful 240ps engine and up for £58K as a 7 seater as just been reduced. No idea if its a good buy or not but tempting.
Post #965027 14th Sep 2022 5:26pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Either engine is good, the 3.0 has more torque but the 2.0 is hardly lacking.
Post #965182 15th Sep 2022 8:55pm
J77

Scotland 
2.0 diesel engines I believe are all SD4.

Edit - yes all 2.0 diesels are SD4, this is from 10th September 2019, launch day Very Happy

Click image to enlarge
 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #965184 15th Sep 2022 8:57pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
In 8-10 years from now, I’ll be curious to see what money these new Defenders are fetching outside of warranty and 100k miles on them 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #965188 15th Sep 2022 9:27pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Same as a disco 3/4 of same age 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #965189 15th Sep 2022 9:44pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
And the genuine Defender he already has will probably still be worth similar value as today, or more - plus be that much closer to being Tax & MOT exempt for full benefits. Keep the TD5 I would. It’ll still be alive long after the new one. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #965190 15th Sep 2022 10:17pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Yes it undoubtedly will, l can't see my old 110 ever being scrapped, it will always be repairable (and always worth repairing)

Can't say the same for me though, after 16 years of Defender ownership l've lost the heart to keep on top of the jobs.

Also l am a perfectionist so the vehicle has to be 100%. lf there's any issues l can't just leave them, for instance l had the roof re sprayed this year because the paint was flaking a little. And l
fitted five NOS wheels because mine were not quite perfect after 17 years. l replaced the rear headlining at vast expense just because it had a couple of marks that l couldn't get off.
That kind of thing.

Will be great for the next owner, whenever that is.
Post #965199 16th Sep 2022 7:44am
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I guess things like LEZ / ULEZ zones will hurt future older Defender values going forward as more cities price them out of driving there...
Post #965205 16th Sep 2022 9:31am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Maybe.

My 110 was exempt from the proposed Manchester one because it only applied to Commercial Vehicles.
But you can't take an old Defender into a lot of city centres now, without paying a congestion charge.

How much worse the legislation will get, is anyone's guess. Sadly these old Defenders are exactly the kind of vehicles that they want to get rid of.
Post #965260 16th Sep 2022 8:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12