↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Value in the long term?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Value in the long term?
What do people think will be the value of a new Defender at ten years down the line? My old 110 is worth pretty much what it cost new in 2005.

l don't expect that the new one will manage that, but l
was wondering if it will hold on to it's value in the longer term and not depreciate to nothing over time.

The main problem l can see is, if the electronic systems start to give trouble it could effectively write the vehicle off when it's over ten years old.

l ask because l've got a 90 Commercial on order, and it's a pretty big investment for me, that l won't be able to do again.
As it's being partially funded by the sale of my Defender 110.
Post #961601 14th Aug 2022 11:35am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The old Defender is something of an oddball in terms of its value and the market that it lives in. Helped enormously by the hype about it in the last few years of production, but also because of it's longevity in that the overall look didn't change much during it's time in production.

For the new Defender that's working the other way around: hype about its launch has made it much sought after and consequently more expensive. Essentially though, it's now just another modern production car and will undoubtedly go through the usual cycle of mid-life facelifts and run-out special editions. In that respect, I'd expect it to depreciate in the same way as other similar cars do. The other fly in the ointment, of course, is the headlong rush to electrification, which will make current vehicles obsolete in a way that never really impacted on the original during its production life. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #961603 14th Aug 2022 11:50am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
It’ll devalue exactly like the Discovery 3, 4, RRS and RR Vogue have done.

The old Defender is unique in its own way as stated above. Also the fact that it’s a ladder chassis on solid axles. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #961607 14th Aug 2022 12:41pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Wait for systems to fail and the cost to replace parts at dealer rates.

Insurance companies writing vehicles off as not being cost effective to replace. Owners deciding that they don’t have the funds for the repairs. How many times have we heard of cars being scrapped instead of replacing a clutch.

It’s difficult to say at present as the new Defender is priced up due to delays in getting new models out to the customer, but when you look harder at the Approved vehicles on the JLR website the majority are the 4 cylinder engines.

I friend of mine a few years back had a Jaguar V8 saloon thing. The infotainment system failed and the dealer wanted 3k to replace it ( out of warranty). He got a replacement for £750 from a scrap yard. When he replaced the car with new Range Rover Sport he was offered £3k as a part exchange.

With modern vehicles, I think it is a case of enjoy it, but then be prepared to step away when you have to.

They certainly don’t have the emotional attachment of a fully owned classic Defender that is a big boys and girls Meccano kit where the owner can do some of the work, shop around for parts and have a friendly independent on hand for advice and work when required.

And finally, who knows what the local councils will do to make money. Just look at Oxford. They will only allow electric vehicles. You can go out and buy a £100k + MHEV Range Rover and still won’t be allowed in…Happy to be corrected on that one. But as soon as costs start to pile up and people feel the results of their bills then who knows what will happen to the second hand car market.
Post #961608 14th Aug 2022 1:08pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
There's a govt scheme at the moment that allows me to put 130% of the cost of the Defender through against my profits.

So on a £54,000 vehicle that's going to save me around £14,000 in tax. Which is why l've been looking at it.

lt only applies to "plant, machinery and commercial vehicles" and it has to be new, not used.

My existing Defender is classed as a car. So l can't do that, l can only charge the business for mileage at 40p per mile.

Last edited by lightning on 14th Aug 2022 9:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #961622 14th Aug 2022 4:26pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
And hopefully, get (at least most of) the VAT back depending on private use - too good to miss Thumbs Up

I have it on good authority btw that 'new' also extends to pre-registered in the unlikely event that is relevant in this context

Downside is the fuel only mileage rate on company owned commercials is 13p per mile iirc Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #961623 14th Aug 2022 4:40pm
BrickBox

In your situation it sounds an absolute no brainer.

I’d assume that you wouldn’t keep it long term? As in 5+ years? 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #961624 14th Aug 2022 4:42pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Sadly l can't get the VAT back as l am not VAT registered.

The plan would be to buy it and then keep it indefinitely, which is why l was enquiring about the long term depreciation.

l guess that after (say) ten years it will still be worth something, depending on the laws on emissions at the time.

One other issue l have is DPF as most of my driving is short local journeys, hopefully the Defender will be better then the VW Transporter (which was my other option) where they have a lot of issues on vans used for local journeys.
Post #961633 14th Aug 2022 6:23pm
kenzle8a

I’m not an account, but you’ll also have long term plant write down as well won’t you? Chances are it will be a great company asset as such for a long time.
Post #961642 14th Aug 2022 7:35pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l need to look into it more thoroughly, despite being in business for 36 years (LTD since 2003) l am still in the dark about all the ins and outs of company vehicles.

For instance, currently l can charge the business 40p per mile for use of my Defender. But if l have a Defender Commercial can l just put the fuel receipts through?
Post #961659 14th Aug 2022 9:43pm
kenzle8a

It’s all in benefit in kind, which for commercials classed as vans is capped, my bik is worked out for my pickup but i think it’s more than a van. I’m not sure on the rules for vans and new defenders though. But if it’s proper commercial and it’s owned by the business then it all goes through the business
Post #961663 15th Aug 2022 12:34am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
lightning wrote:
Sadly l can't get the VAT back as l am not VAT registered.

The plan would be to buy it and then keep it indefinitely, which is why l was enquiring about the long term depreciation.

l guess that after (say) ten years it will still be worth something, depending on the laws on emissions at the time.

One other issue l have is DPF as most of my driving is short local journeys, hopefully the Defender will be better then the VW Transporter (which was my other option) where they have a lot of issues on vans used for local journeys.

I think with any modern vehicle, be it combustion or electric driven, will be the longevity of the electrical circuitry/systems. Diagnosis of problems can be costly and unfortunately a lack of use can sometimes create its own issues.

New systems seem to rely on so many sensors and any damage or deterioration to any part of the circuit could create situations where costly diagnosis is required. I think this will be the killer of many vehicles that otherwise would be perfectly serviceable.

I have a 300tdi defender that is almost 30 years old (the 300tdi was a transplant). I went for the 300tdi as it has very basic electrics. I want to keep it but it won't get a great deal of use so any electrical systems will be susceptible to the lack of use. I find it sad when I see much newer, much more luxurious vehicles that have such little value due to the potential for costly repairs/upkeep.
Post #961676 15th Aug 2022 8:07am
camelman

United Kingdom 
lightning wrote:
There's a govt scheme at the moment that allows me to put 130% of the cost of the Defender through against my profits.

So on a £54,000 vehicle that's going to save me around £14,000 in tax. Which is why l've been looking at it.

lt only applies to "plant, machinery and commercial vehicles" and it has to be new, not used.

My existing Defender is classed as a car. So l can't do that, l can only charge the business for mileage at 40p per mile.

You still have to pay corporation tax on the sale price of the vehicle though when you come to sell it. 

Last edited by camelman on 15th Aug 2022 2:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #961735 15th Aug 2022 2:25pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Like most new cars now my worry would be on the amount of new models and different engines / motor / face lifts / updates in a short period they are out.

At the moment all is in the air with supply seemingly higher than demand for the new model, once this settles it will have a big impact on prices. The early 2.0 ones with analogue clocks and lowish spec that currently are selling well as people just want to be in the 'new defender' will plummet.

I'm tempted with the PHEV Def but the range is so small currently (around 24 to 28 miles) its only going to get better and the 'next model' will knock the price of the low range one down.

My 'Old defender' is worth the same or more than I paid for it 7 years ago. Even if I use the lowest end of the figures as we all know prices are all over the place.

I suspect / know that if I paid around £82,000 for the 400 Phev 110 in the configurator, in 7 years I would dread to think the resale Smile

I'm lucky and have my Defender and Series for toys along with some other toys in the garage while I decided what I might do.
Post #961736 15th Aug 2022 2:25pm
BrickBox

I’d hang onto the true Defender, personally. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #961741 15th Aug 2022 2:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>