↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Value in the long term?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
I think prices are starting to correct for classic defenders - WBAC for my low mileage Adventure a few months ago was a ridiculous 53k ...and now 40k - (I needed a price to help with my insurance valuation). I think this drop is a combination of low emission zones which are cropping up a lot more, cost of living crisis/diesel & poor mpg. The new defender prices will also correct as others have stated when expensive things start going wrong outside of warranty and manufacturers sort out their supply issues. Once everything settles down in the future, I still think the classic will command better prices. True classics always do.. However, I would hang on to the one you prefer and enjoy more!
Post #961743 15th Aug 2022 2:22pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“My old 110 is worth pretty much what it cost new in 2005”

Don’t quite work like that… as a rough guide what you paid in 2005 has to be divided by today’s CPI and divided by 2005’s CPI (works out at least 1.5). So twenty grand in 2005 is equivalent to thirty grand today. Effectively you’ve “lost” £10,000 plus any interest you may have earned had you invested that twenty grand; but look on the bright side, salaries have equally increased by 1.5 during that period…

… yeah, as if!

Peter
Post #962723 24th Aug 2022 8:48am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Ah yes l never looked at it that way!

Better to say "my old Defender has held on to its value better than most vehicles"

lt's a difficult decision for me with the new Defender. l love my 2005 110 but l also love the new one, and it would be great for my business and for towing the caravan. Not that the old one doesn't do
that of course.

ldeally l would be able to keep both! My wife has the new Jimny and we could sell that instead.

But she won't drive the 110
Post #962820 25th Aug 2022 6:58am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"But she won't drive the 110"

Funnily enough, mine will ONLY drive the 110, refuses to drive the Morgan, and would "rather walk than have a Jimny", much as I myself think they're the best new car for a long time. Then again, when we met she was driving a VW Käfer for a Luxembourgish stock car team and thinks she still does...

Other "possibles" I considered for retaining long-term value or even appreciating were the Alfa Romeo 4C or Alpine A110 (First Edition, less than 1,000 were made, cf. the squillion Defenders that people dream are gonna be worth more the older they get), but I really did struggle getting in and out of either of 'em!

Of course, you could always keep the 110 and sell the wife?

Peter
Post #962845 25th Aug 2022 11:14am
lightning

United Kingdom 
The new Jimny is basically a small version of the classic Defender, and is completely different to the previous Jimny.
Most people who don't like it haven't driven one.

lt's actually a great vehicle, if it was 20% larger it would be perfect. But it's been designed to be small enough to qualify for the Japanese Kei Car restrictions (minus the plastic wheel arches)

l always said it's what Land Rover should have done with the Defender. Also Suzuki managed to retail the new Jimny at well under £20,000 for the top specification version. There are no factory options, it's all on the the vehicle as standard.

So, why does the new Land Rover Defender start at £58,000 !! Obviously its
bigger and posher (but not by as much as you'd think, having driven both) lt's a shame Land Rover didn't produce a basic lead-in utility version at £30,000.
Post #962849 25th Aug 2022 12:12pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
lightning wrote:
There's a govt scheme at the moment that allows me to put 130% of the cost of the Defender through against my profits.

So on a £54,000 vehicle that's going to save me around £14,000 in tax. Which is why l've been looking at it.

lt only applies to "plant, machinery and commercial vehicles" and it has to be new, not used.

My existing Defender is classed as a car. So l can't do that, l can only charge the business for mileage at 40p per mile.

That's exactly what I did in 2013 - the best decision I've taken when thinking about cars
Post #962925 25th Aug 2022 8:45pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Thé value of thé new one is less stable because there are less suppliers, less add-ons and less indépendants for your repairs.

Given that Defender owners are very conservative folks, the newest one has always had thé badest reputation.

Just like the 2.4 in 2007 and the 2.2 in 2012. And the tD5 of course. And thé 300TDI being so different ...

Just wait and see how things change within the next 10 years, when there are 2 more generations on thé market...
Post #962927 25th Aug 2022 9:01pm
terryall

United Kingdom 
I believe rates are now 45p per mile for mileage charge.
Post #963563 31st Aug 2022 6:10pm
Beefbeefbeef

United Kingdom 
lightning wrote:
There's a govt scheme at the moment that allows me to put 130% of the cost of the Defender through against my profits.

So on a £54,000 vehicle that's going to save me around £14,000 in tax. Which is why l've been looking at it.

lt only applies to "plant, machinery and commercial vehicles" and it has to be new, not used.

My existing Defender is classed as a car. So l can't do that, l can only charge the business for mileage at 40p per mile.

I did exactly what you are contemplating at the end of last year. I bought a new Defender Commercial through my business. With the 130% deduction against profits (and the VAT back as I'm VAT registered), it seemed too good to refuse. I put all the running costs through the business so they are likewise deductible against profits. I specced the middle seat so it can take me and my two kids if required although we have a Disco for family trips.

Let me know if you have any queries.
Post #963790 2nd Sep 2022 5:03pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
I am sadly not VAT registered so l can't claim that back.

So after l claim back the purchase cost against my tax, l can then claim running costs and depreciation?
The vehicle will get some private use, but not much. However this may make it liable for BIK. Any ideas as to how much this will be?
Post #963817 2nd Sep 2022 7:51pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Benefit in kind on a van is c £3600 so youll pay tax on that amount if there is any private use 
Post #963819 2nd Sep 2022 8:05pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
If you run a limited company, you claim all of the depreciation (in fact 130%) of the purchase price if it is new in the first year. This scheme finishes next year however.

When you subsequently sell the vehicle however, the sale price will be a 'profit' so you will pay tax on it then.

You still save some tax over the period of ownership but not full amount that you 'save' in the first year of purchase 

Last edited by camelman on 3rd Sep 2022 5:52am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #963820 2nd Sep 2022 8:09pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Post #963821 2nd Sep 2022 8:09pm
dizeeduckie

United Kingdom 
Jerry wrote:
I think prices are starting to correct for classic defenders

Definitely. We've been looking at old Defenders since around April. A few months ago we saw a beautiful 2013 Defender 90 for £40,000. We made an offer of £35k which was rejected.

It's been sitting on the forecourt for the entire summer (maybe longer). We bought it last week for £32,000.

All the other Defenders we were interested in are still for sale. They don't seem to be selling for the prices dealers think they're worth.
Post #963844 3rd Sep 2022 7:23am
lightning

United Kingdom 
The prices being asked were not sustainable.

The LEZ's in many cities are affecting values in some areas, certainly round here.
Post #963929 3rd Sep 2022 9:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12