Home > In Car Electronics > 2004 TD5 electrical short
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Reivilo

South Africa 
2004 TD5 electrical short
I just joined the platform thank you - South African,

I acquired my first Landy a 2004 double cab (18P) with claimed 185k km's. And as expected I'm sorting out a few niggles.

As a habit I travel with headlights on. Traversing gravel roads the horn goes off when ever I hit a bump or corregation - so ja I have RUBBING WIRES somewhere?!

I suspect I should start tracing and eliminate from the two control switch arms (lights & horn) along the steering column through the firewall into the engine hood?

Maybe someone had similar problems before and can help me narrow down the search area?

Kind regards, Reivilo
Post #957195 3rd Jul 2022 9:38pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Do you have this issue if the headlights are off?

Does the alarm/immobilizer work correctly and is the immobilizer enabled (Only allows car to start with transponder on the keyring?)
Post #958151 13th Jul 2022 1:33pm
Reivilo

South Africa 
The TD5 assemblies in South Africa came out quite basic - no immobiliser, alarm, heated seats/windows or electric windows.

So to answer your question: there is no horn when the headlights or park lights are turned off.
And the horn does not go off automatically and imediatly if I turn the lights on, only after some time when I traverse over bumpy or badly corrugated gravel road. Typically the same as when a lightswitch makes a bed lamp flicker due to poor contacts. I haven't had too much of a problem on tarmac as yet.

I did not start fiddling with the suspect wires yet... laziness!
Post #958168 13th Jul 2022 4:40pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
The front left headlamp and LH horn share an earth path, there is a splice joint in the loom before that circuit along with the alarm sounders (where fitted) and windscreen washers combine into a single earth that is part of the wing wiring harness. There is a grey plug near the heater/bower assembly, these circuits are earthed on pin 3, see pic below. Seeing as you say the horn is affected but nothing else I'd be inclined to reveal the wires in the loom near the headlight and check that there is no damage on the earth cable. Rig up a circuit tester so that the earth terminal in the headlight connecter and a good route to earth show a circuit. Then give the wires a wiggle and see if you can interrupt that earth.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #958176 13th Jul 2022 5:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1