↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Removal of bulkhead in my new commercial defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
County V8

United Kingdom 
Because it's on the database the speed camera network just know.
Post #975419 22nd Dec 2022 12:52am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There's nothing on any database which records the maximum speed permitted for a vehicle. The "problem" with limits for the classic Defender evidences this.
Post #975420 22nd Dec 2022 12:54am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Any ANPR based camera for enforcement checks the DVLA record - there are some cameras at ports that do this to.

So whilst your bog standard speed camera doesn't, its very easy for some of them to without any input. Equally it wont take them long to realise is my guess. Mike
Post #975450 22nd Dec 2022 11:22am
blackwolf

My point is that the data stored on the PNC and/or DVLA databases does not reliably determine the maximum speed at which the vehicle is allowed to travel. For example, it does not contain enough data to determine if a vehicle is a dual-purpose vehicle or not, or even to determine if there is any ambiguity about the vehicle classification.

At a more practical level, the number of light goods vehicles (such as Transit-like vans) which pass ANPR-enabled cameras at car speeds apparently without getting ticketed suggests that vehicle-type-dependent enforcement is not happening.

I have no doubt that in time it will happen, most likely vehicles will report themselves (probably in conjunction with road-pricing and pay-by-mile taxation schemes, which are inevitably coming). I do not believe it happens or can happen at present, and personally think it's another of those internet-generated false myths, much like the myth (which many people still mysteriously believe) that N1 classic Defenders are subject to LGV speed limits. If anyone has conclusive evidence, and not just hearsay, that intelligent vehicle-type-dependent speed enforcement of sub-3500kg MAM vehicles is taking place already Ill happily eat my words and look forward to seeing the evidence.

However since nobody should be exceeding the speed limit anyway it really shouldn't be a consideration! Laughing
Post #975452 22nd Dec 2022 11:43am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
ANPR vehicles (even police) are not looking for that.

Fixed cameras do and daily are doing this in some cases, but as i say not speed - its very possible and exceptions or database gaps are what appeals (and our responsibilities to update DVLA) are there for

I cant be bothered to look it up but im sure essex way they were using it, all the CAZ cameras are doing similar. The ANPR tracking cameras around many UK cities are recording that already, it only takes someone to figure out a new use for it Mike
Post #975462 22nd Dec 2022 1:17pm
County V8

United Kingdom 
Its happening

Click image to enlarge
Post #975477 22nd Dec 2022 3:19pm
blackwolf

Two points to observe on that NIP: firstly, the words "manned equipment", therefore not an unmanned camera trap so any vehicle identification could be down to the operator, and secondly the speed of 75mph means that it is a speeding offence irrespective of the type of vehicle. Clearly the fact that it is identified as a good vehicle is significant because the margin by which the limit is exceeded is greater but there is nothing about that to suggest that an autonomous system determined the type of vehicle prior to recording the offence. It would have been more interesting had the recorded speed been 69mph, but even then the words "manned equipment" cast doubt on how the determination was made.

I will for the time being retain my healthy scepticism that there are any autonomous cameras currently active which can discriminate between a vehicle of similar size with an LGV limit and a car limit. If you can show me a NIP from an unattended camera for an LGV travelling above the LGV limit but below the car limit, then I will gladly eat humble pie. Very Happy
Post #975478 22nd Dec 2022 3:35pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
County V8 wrote:
Its happening

Click image to enlarge

Was this yours? https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #975549 23rd Dec 2022 9:57am
irma

Click image to enlarge

today i removed this bulkhead panel from my Defender 90 HT. This is what it looks like now.

it wasn't easy tho, side pillars covers needs some force to remove but be careful not to break plastic pins. And the bulkhead itself is quite heavy, it doesn't fit thru the rear door without rotation which requires two people.
Post #977857 13th Jan 2023 12:47pm
fmb123

could you then fit the below full height guard? obviously works in the regular car, but would it work in the commercial?

Click image to enlarge
Post #984302 3rd Mar 2023 4:29pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
I think Mud have developed a raised lip for when bulkhead is removed on 110
Here are some pics. Looks very oem

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #984352 4th Mar 2023 8:52am
Peteski

United Kingdom 
I’ve just removed my 90 HT bulkhead. Is it possible to get the rear speakers working? It has a meridian system
Post #989871 22nd Apr 2023 7:21am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l was thinking this as well, l wonder if the wiring harnesses for the rear speakers are in place? And the mountings for the speakers.

You would have to take off one of the rear trim panels to find out.
Post #989894 22nd Apr 2023 9:25am
I know nothing

United Kingdom 
I must say it looks much lighter and roomier without bulkhead,my discovery 3 commercial has a full wire bulkhead it's far better
Post #989989 22nd Apr 2023 7:23pm
ROAVR_Matt

blackwolf wrote:
Two points to observe on that NIP: firstly, the words "manned equipment", therefore not an unmanned camera trap so any vehicle identification could be down to the operator, and secondly the speed of 75mph means that it is a speeding offence irrespective of the type of vehicle. Clearly the fact that it is identified as a good vehicle is significant because the margin by which the limit is exceeded is greater but there is nothing about that to suggest that an autonomous system determined the type of vehicle prior to recording the offence. It would have been more interesting had the recorded speed been 69mph, but even then the words "manned equipment" cast doubt on how the determination was made.

I will for the time being retain my healthy scepticism that there are any autonomous cameras currently active which can discriminate between a vehicle of similar size with an LGV limit and a car limit. If you can show me a NIP from an unattended camera for an LGV travelling above the LGV limit but below the car limit, then I will gladly eat humble pie. Very Happy

There are on the A9 in the Scottish Highlands. Ask me how I know lol! We are up and down it all the time, the cameras are average speed and they certainly do know whether the vehicle is commercial or not and the permitted speeds.
Post #990960 1st May 2023 8:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>