↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Advertisement pulled
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I imagine that in today's society someone would complain about the driving-up-the-dam advertisement, and it too would be banned. It was after all portraying a Land-Rover seemingly doing something that it was wholly incapable of actually doing, and anyone trying to do the same would undoubtedly hurt themselves. Misleading? Undoubtedly. Perhaps society was less stupid/litigious in those halcyon days!

The Volvo ad is probably OK because although it shows the car being largely destroyed and the dummy walking away, it is possible that a human doing the same thing would also walk away. Perhaps you can get away showing something so stupid that no-one would try it and it was the relative plausibility of the cliff scene that doomed it.
Post #952080 9th May 2022 5:08pm
J77

Scotland 
Probably would get banned 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #952092 9th May 2022 6:50pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Different times, and different levels of common sense Rolling Eyes Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #952105 9th May 2022 8:50pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
The Volvo 340 was manufactured from 1976, so give a few years for the commercial.
The New Defender commercial is from 2022?

Clearly a huge difference in common sense of the guys behind the scenes.

The Volvo advert is to the point, and has a strong message.
The Defender advert on the other hand.... well they blew it already on the 11th second, when they put the real Defender on a pedestal. I do not get that - let alone the parking sensors... but why they need to emphasize?? Is there any new car without parking sensors nowadays? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #952113 9th May 2022 9:13pm
J77

Scotland 
The definition of the phrase put on a pedestal, is to give someone or something uncritical respect and admiration.

That’s why it was done Wink 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #952122 9th May 2022 11:52pm
Dinnu

^^^^ exactly, that is the point.
I am not a marketing expert by any means, but if I want to sell a new product I would not praise my older product that I am replacing!!
I do agree that the classic Defender is the icon. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #952128 10th May 2022 5:50am
Leeds Utd

Germany 
I would like to complain about the cost of my tea bags... Is this the right place to do it ?? Whistle
Post #953793 27th May 2022 9:02am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Didn't the dam driving have to conform to something standards wise. They did a thing on it, maybe on top gear but the car had to do it I'm sure Mike
Post #954029 29th May 2022 10:48pm
blackwolf

For the dam advertisement the Landrover was winched up using a large winch at the top of the dam, the whole thing was an illusion. For the recreation on Top Gear, a rather nice Series 1 was modified by having a very large hydraulic winch fitted to the front, powered by a gimballed engine mounted in the rear loadspace (gimballed so that it would run despite the very steep angle of the dam wall). Unlike the Landrover stunt, the Top Gear vehicle did actually winch itself up the dam, but it could not come over the top lip of the dam so had to be lowered back the way it came.

I think it is fair to say that the abject terror evident in the body language of Richard Hammond was utterly sincere, it must have been a truly terrifying experience.

It is also said that the Top Gear vehicle could not be driven to the base of the dam due to access difficulties and was actually helicoptered to the start location.
Post #954033 29th May 2022 11:51pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Yes I recall that but there was something about advertising standards back then too was my point I just can't remember what it was...it might have been it wouldn't pass

Incidentally that dam would scare the living hell out of me if I was to drive up it Mike
Post #954034 29th May 2022 11:56pm
blackwolf

It scared the living hell out of me just watching Hammond get dragged up the dam! Shocked

For anyone interested who hasn't seen the sequence, or anyone who simply wants to revisit the full butt-clenching excitement of the sequence, it is available on YouTube. It is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. (It is also evident that it was a crane, not a helicopter, used to position the Land-Rover at the start line since the crane is clearly visible in the video).

437DEL for those interested is now owned by Land-Rover but is one of the first two vehicles restored by Series 1 legend Ken Wheelwright in the 1970s. It, along with 438DEL now also owned by Landrover, is an ex-MoD 1949 80", and the numbers on both are age-related rather than original registrations, but they make a stunning pair. I've heard it said that Ken paid £125 for the vehicle when he bought it, it is worth rather more than that now I will wager!
Post #954042 30th May 2022 10:08am
Dinnu

There is also the Range Rover Dragon Challenge, which apparently was real. Maybe the Defender with the electronic wizardry can do it... perhaps JLR did not want to do it with the old Defender as it might overshoot the top Laughing 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #954044 30th May 2022 10:44am
blackwolf

blackwolf wrote:
... 437DEL for those interested is now owned by Land-Rover but is one of the first two vehicles restored by Series 1 legend Ken Wheelwright in the 1970s. It, along with 438DEL now also owned by Landrover, is an ex-MoD 1949 80" ...

Inspired to re-watch 5the YouTube clip to which I posted the link above, I was reminded that although the film features 437DEL prominently for the "driving" sequences in the early part, it is YFO914 which is used for the climb.

YFO914 is a 1951 "lights-through-grille" 2-litre 80" in the LRE Solihull collection, and for the dam exploit was altered to look like 437DEL with the fitment of a 1949-style "lights-behind-grille" front end (really eagle-eyed viewers will note that it has wide front springs with the shackles at the rear of the spring, not the narrow front springs with front shackles that a 1949 80" has).

There are some still photos of the vehicle at Claerwen for the dam stunt on Flickr here where it is also noted that the vehicle had the engine removed to make room for hydraulic oil coolers. The winch is noted to be a Rotec, and in some of the photos the full-length underframe tying the winch to the chassis is clearly visible. There is also an emergency stop mounted externally on the n/s passenger door. All of this makes it very clear why a different vehicle was used for the scene-setting "driving" footage - evidently YFO914 was not capable of being driven conventionally at all in its "dam configuration".

On the LRSOC forum there is a mention that YFO914 was observed being overhauled at Gaydon in October 2010, when it was said to have both engine and chassis problems. The episode of TG featuring the dam climb was first aired on 15/02/2015, so it is, I suppose, possible that YFO914 was taken from the Gaydon overhaul queue and adapted for the programme (I imagine that the lead time for a stunt like the dam winch is considerable due to the engineering, third-party involvement, risk management, and insurance issues involved). YFO914 was also one of the vehicles involved in the "sand drawing" at Red Wharf Bay in January 2015 so had evidently been returned to its proper configuration as a 2-litre LTG 80" by then (further suggesting that the dam film was produced quite some time before it was aired). It is at least evident that YFO914 suffered no lasting ill-effects from its remarkable day in the Elan valley, possibly more than can be said for Hammond who, I understand, still rates the dam climb as the most terrifying stunt he's has undertaken.

There is some additional contemporaneous info in this thread for those interested.
Post #954061 30th May 2022 12:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12