↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Clutch slip or something else ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Clutch slip or something else ?
Hi all

Yesterday I was merrily driving along, down some country lanes when the 130 began to slow and would barely accelerate , I was perhaps doing 30mph on a relatively gentle incline in 3rd gear, I dropped to second and planted my foot on the accelerator, still nothing and the revs would barely go above 1500rpm , I immediately pulled over and there was that strong smell of burning clutch .

I switched the engine off, had a poke around for 10 mins, got back in and drove a further mile with similar results, occasionally it would pick up as expected, other times it wouldn't. Dumping the clutch would allow the engine to rev freely as normal , no smoke, no strange sounds, no more clutch smell.

Today it did exactly the same but I didn't dare drive it far or up any serious inclines.

I'm a bit baffled as if it was the clutch wouldn't I be able to slip the clutch and rev the engine when in gear or is there some clever electrickery that prevents this from happening on the puma ?

Any thoughts most welcome !

Thank you

Rich https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #947366 29th Mar 2022 12:43am
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Hi Rich , mine was a bit like that and turned out to be the slave cylinder , when stripped down the clutch wasn’t to bad but I fitted a LOF extreme clutch and also a LOF one piece input shaft , all fitted a few months ago and now have my confidence back when pulling me digger around Thumbs Up

Stew
Post #947367 29th Mar 2022 4:29am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
When mine has gone into limp mode in the past it restricts the RPM when the clutch is out, but when you bring it in (ie disengage the gearbox) it allows it to rev freely. It could be that something else is causing it to go into limp mode. Have you got a diagnostics tool?
Post #947368 29th Mar 2022 6:08am
Bluericky

Thank you Stew, I’ve got a LOF Clutch in the 110 and I agree it’s money well spent.

There appears to be the tiniest weep of clutch fluid from the pedal box but it’s still pretty much full to the brim.

I’ve got a diagnostic tool and it throws up nothing, there's no engine light either.
Also if it were limp mode, presumably it would stay in it, rather than go on and off over a mile or two.

Could this be a sticky turbo actuator or clutch sensor issue ? https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #947373 29th Mar 2022 7:10am
stew 46

I called the rac out and they confirmed my thought it was the slave and as I’ve got rac home everything they then sorted recovery to my preferred garage
Post #947374 29th Mar 2022 7:15am
Bluericky

That’s interesting, I’m also a member, I hadn’t thought of that !
How did the diagnose the slave, I thought it was in the bell housing ? https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #947375 29th Mar 2022 7:45am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
It sounds more like brakes stuck on to me. If slipping clutch the revs would increase, as would the speed but slower than the revs. It would also be reving freely not limited to 1500. It could be a wheel bearing allowing disc to rub brake pads.
Post #947376 29th Mar 2022 8:01am
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Also possibly the parking brake grabbing Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #947377 29th Mar 2022 8:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You don't say in your post if the engine would rev normally with the clutch out. **EDIT - yes you do, so I have edited my comments below.**

If the clutch was slipping the engine speed will be higher than you would expect with a good clutch, and will be inconsistent, and you don't say that this is happening.

Since the engine revved freely with the clutch out it is very unlikely to be a clutch problem and is more likely to be a dragging brake (which would account for the smell), or possibly a boost problem (which would not account for the smell). Note that with no load on the engine it will rev freely even if the turbo actualtor is not moving since the lack of load means that no boost is required.

You say that there are no stored DTCs in the ECM, but it is possible but very unlikely that it is going into limp mode and resetting with an ignition cycle. It is unlikely that it would rev freely with the clutch out if it is in limp mode, so this can probably be ruled out.

It is possible that the clutch switch is sticking open circuit, you could try shorting it out and going for a drive (shorting it out on a Puma should not materially alter the running of the engine since it is NC and there are some people who recommend it, on a TD5 the switch is NO and the same effect can be achieved by unplugging it). There is no "clutch sensor" per se, only the switch. If the switch is o/c the ECM will think that you have the clutch pedal depressed and the clutch out and this could cause issues.

It could well be an actuator problem since if there turbo is not spooling up you will find the engine has astonishingly little power (been there, done that!). If your diagnostic tool can display a real-time read-out of manifold pressure you will see if the actuator is working, should should get an absolute manifold pressure in the region of 2bar with the engine under load. This would not explain the smell.

Last edited by blackwolf on 29th Mar 2022 9:53am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #947378 29th Mar 2022 8:14am
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
seized caliper? - if the clutch has gone it would rev up regardless.

also some brake pads do smell like clutch....
Post #947381 29th Mar 2022 8:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stew 46

Bluericky wrote:
That’s interesting, I’m also a member, I hadn’t thought of that !
How did the diagnose the slave, I thought it was in the bell housing ?

The rac chap spent a good 30 mins under the landy with it jacked up checking everything and was very thorough ( same chap has visited many of my landys over the years Embarassed ) but I pay me money and use the service when needed Thumbs Up .

My clutch seemed very intermittent over a few weeks then I couldn’t get it in gear without a struggle , when it was in gear it was ok but the few weeks beforehand it just didn’t feel right .

My 3 tone ramp in my unit is free to use Rich if you want a better look under it Thumbs Up

Stew

Click image to enlarge
Post #947383 29th Mar 2022 8:55am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
stew 46 wrote:
... My clutch seemed very intermittent over a few weeks then I couldn’t get it in gear without a struggle , when it was in gear it was ok but the few weeks beforehand it just didn’t feel right ...

That is consistent with a failing hydraulic system since it is symptomatic of the clutch not disengaging fully, in other words "clutch spin" not "clutch slip" which is what the OP was suspecting. Nothing in the OP's description points to spin on this occasion (mind you I can't see anything pointing to slip, either).

You RAC man's diagnosis is very logical for that particular symptom.

I have edited my earlier reply since I notice that you did say that the engine revs freely with the clutch out, a statement which I inexplicably missed when I first replied and which changes my earlier comments somewhat.

I'd be looking for a dragging brake as the most probable cause, and a turbo actuator fault as the second most likely.
Post #947389 29th Mar 2022 9:47am
Bluericky

Stew, thank you very much for the offer of your ramp, I may well take you up on it.

Blackwolf thank you also for your comments, I’ll be checking the turbo and brakes tomorrow and see what’s it throws up.

The smell was the most confusing thing as it almost certainly smelt like a burning clutch but I suppose it could equally have been brakes .
Recently there has been a resonating vibration that’s got progressively more noticeable, particularly noticeable at the high end of the gear range. It may be connected.

I will report back https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #947453 29th Mar 2022 8:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
How many miles has the clutch done?

I’ve got issues with mine currently too, I’m going to try changing the Master cylinder first and already ruled out air in the hydraulic line after bleeding it.

The slaves going are surprisingly common, the annoyance is what comes with it and the work involved and cost.
The smell is probably the clutch friction plate slipping maybe partially or along the lines of what Blackwolf mentioned.
Difficulty selecting gears is what I have when warmed up and will only get worse and no gear at all.
So I’m trying the MC as it’s half the age of the slave and clutch on mine but if that doesn’t do the trick I’m gonna need to get the slave done as well.
I’m hoping it maybe the MC and buy a bit of time for me before doing the other but I’m 50/50 as to whether it will work out.

Was there any signs of leaks on the bell housing? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #947458 29th Mar 2022 8:53pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
As BW and others have stated, extremely likely sticking brake pistons. You apply brake on journey, it does not fully release, heat builds up on disc and it expands, brake binds even more, everything in area gets real hot and you smell burning and the truck feels like it’s towing an artic. Initially you can lift each axle on stands and feel if any wheel is binding. If not then gently applying brake and release retesting rotational friction to feel changes. If no results then sharply applying brake and release to retest rotational friction. From this you should identify which calliper is binding

However if driving to test, stop after applying brakes and feeling truck slowing down have a sniff of each wheel, and put hand close but do not touch wheel to feel any heat. If can’t feel heat touch wheel very cautiously to feel if it’s hot, be careful as if it is it can be very hot. That will identify which calliper is binding.
Post #947459 29th Mar 2022 9:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>