↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Quick help needed (before the shops shut :) )
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Quick help needed (before the shops shut :) )
Hi folks.

I have a 2010 D90 SW which came with radio preparation from the factory (so no head unit).

A previous owner had, very neatly, fitted a Pioneer head unit - all plugged in nicely with no cut wires.

I have bought a genuine LR CDE-133BT head unit (the factory Alpine one with Bluetooth)with the little wiring harness and with the factory microphone.

But I am clearly missing another harness (or the defender wiring loom may have changed as I believe this head unit was from a late run model).

In the defender dash there are two plugs (brown and grey). You can see them in the photo below, NB these are still connected to the Pioneer head unit.

Whereas the Land Rover Alpine head unit I've bought just has a single, much larger plug on its wiring harness.

What I don;'t know is if the harness I'm missing is a generic ISO stereo thing that I can buy from Halfords or whether its a genuine Land Rover harness that I'll need to order.

While I'm sure something could be cobbled together, I don't want to start cutting any wires - I'd much rather pay the money for a factory made harness.

Any help would be very welcome - while I've built a number of cars over the years - this is the first time I've ever dealt with ICE.

Thank you.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #947183 27th Mar 2022 12:51pm
Gasket

Might have answered this myself.

I think that a loom like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181844936847?ep...Sw3ZpfnBRA

would replace the loom I have and would connect straight from the head unit to the defender brown/grey looms. Is that right?
Post #947184 27th Mar 2022 1:12pm
matchap801

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Well done. That should do the job. Some Defenders had two standard ISO plugs in the loom, I believe Defenders are 2012 had a LR specific plug. So the trick was to get an adapter loom from the LR to stereo plug.

From memory when I upgraded mine, there weee two red wires. One per meant live (memory) one ignition live - turns the radio on / off with ignition. When first connected the radio wouldn’t work properly, so swapped them over and now works a treat! 2009 Defender 90 CSW 2.4 TDCI.
Ex Army Mechanic still living the dream.
Post #947200 27th Mar 2022 4:28pm
Gasket

Spot on - thank you.

Have one on order for delivery tomorrow.

*Edit - arrived today and fitted perfect!*
Post #947244 27th Mar 2022 11:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1