↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > VED - car is stuck in the dealership compound indefinitely
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

VED - car is stuck in the dealership compound indefinitely
My 110 is now stuck in the dealer’s storage compound minus the damaged rear quarter panel that I damaged and body shop reckon I could be waiting 3 months or longer as the panels are on back order at the factory in Nitra………. They attempted panel beating but there are two damaged mounting brackets on the panel that they reckon that they don’t the tech to repair……

The advice needed is
A) should I put the car on SORN?
B) Should I reduce the insurance from fully comp to fire and theft?

Finance Company intervention isn’t possible as I paid cash for the car, it’s not on finance.

As Slovakia borders onto Ukraine and is also a former USSR satellite state I wonder what the future of the LR factory might be should Putin start marching his troops even further west….. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #943776 25th Feb 2022 11:59am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I'd defintely SORN it but you'd need to speak to your insurer about the best choice for that. You may find that there's little difference in cost or that the cost to change outweighs any saving.

As for LR's factory, we'll all have bigger problems if Putin continues to push west! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #943781 25th Feb 2022 1:00pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Not much help, but some thoughts:

Have you told your insurance about the original bump, or are you repairing at your own expense.
If you haven’t told your insurer then you may get difficult questions if you change your insured status.

Sorn sounds sensible as you may be in for a long delay, but again should you advise your insurance as it is not parked at its usual insured place.
Post #943790 25th Feb 2022 2:33pm
Kernow_90

Australia 
Are there any turning up in the wreckers yards yet, see PARTSgateway have an X they are stripping down. Would mean rework but wheels on road.
Post #944432 3rd Mar 2022 8:12am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Any update yet on when you might get your Defender back?
Post #949941 20th Apr 2022 5:42pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l guess not then !!
Post #950471 25th Apr 2022 12:39pm
Tim in Scotland

Yes! I got a phone call yesterday afternoon after calling the dealership asking them to please charge the battery as the car is continuously reporting that the car has been stolen and my app is now locked too!
The call back from the body shop manager advised that all the parts arrived “late last week “ and work has started on the repair. When I will get it back is still a grey area! And despite 3 calls to the In Control control centre yesterday when they said that they would reset the theft warnings my app is still locked up.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #950582 26th Apr 2022 7:41am
Tim in Scotland

Another update - repair completed, car is in the paint shop having the new panel sprayed, should have the car back next week sometime.
Next decision is do I sell it and use the proceeds to have a new bulkhead and a respray done on my battle weary 1996 90. I don’t need 2 big off-roaders as well as the Mini Electric (which has proved to be a blast to drive, cost £20 in energy over 3500 miles/ 5 months and has more than enough range for my needs) - decisions decisions decisions! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #950614 26th Apr 2022 10:50am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l guess it depends on how much of a profit you'll trouser from selling the Defender.

You could use the money to do up your old Landy and put a deposit on another new Defender for delivery next year at list price!!
Post #951390 2nd May 2022 7:22pm
Tim in Scotland

Problem about replacing is having been running an EV for 6 months I doubt I’ll ever buy a another new ICE vehicle. An EV with more range than the Mini but not much larger in size would suit me far better than another Defender. Keeping the old 90 would keep my off-road ventures satisfied while an EV with more range would allow me to travel greater distances in some comfort.
I’m off to Norway for a month of touring in a VW ID3 - that should be enough to see if that size of EV would meet my needs of a normal vehicle over a large SUV for daily use. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #951424 3rd May 2022 8:12am
Tim in Scotland

I collected the car from Pentland Perth this morning and it was so nice to drive back south to Stirling I had forgotten just how light the controls are and how the car rolls in corners……… I’ve got too used to driving the electric whizza skateboard Mini around for 3 months though, while the Defender is lovely it feels so slow to accelerate after the electric pocket rocket and that has an official/claimed 0-60 of 7.2 secs but a lot quicker than that and it does it in total silence unlike the D240 who’s rents soar noisily up to 3000 rpm at the slightest tickle of the loud pedal.
Fair does to Pentlandite Perth’s body shop manager who managed to give me a final bill £200 less than the original quote and despite finding two more damaged trim panels and needing to replace the offside rear lighting circuit that was broken. The paint shop guys did a great job on the painting too - I called into the PPF / detailer I use in Stirling on the way back and they have had a good look at the resprayed bits and declare it to be a very good paint job with a little bit of what looks like clearcoat overspray on the B pillar gloss black trim that they say will come off with some claybar on it.

The finished job

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #951651 5th May 2022 12:31pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Glad you finally got it sorted!
Post #954885 7th Jun 2022 9:32pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Glad it’s all sorted! The question is, are you keeping it? 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #954893 8th Jun 2022 12:25am
Tim in Scotland

Brick box, At the moment I’ve an order in for a replacement due to be delivered between June and November 2023 but I’m having 2nd thoughts since the changes at the end of May. The 110 is a First Edition so has kit on it that you now cannot get………… sunglasses holder, Clearview RVM, two auto dimming wing mirrors, full digital dash, the smaller infotainment screen (which I prefer to the bigger one), easily watermarked fabric in the half leather seat coverings and the D240 4 cylinder engine. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #954905 8th Jun 2022 8:05am
J77

Scotland 
It’s probably the worst time to buy a Defender. Prices going through the roof, more and more bits being removed from standard spec. My S is almost better equipped than the SE I have on order. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #954929 8th Jun 2022 11:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>