↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma reverse switch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
wyvern wrote:
Just in the same situation today - light is not working but the bulb and holder are fine, all the fuses seem to be ok (but not sure which fuse is the specific one for the light )
It may be that the mech forget to re-connect this after the clutch changeout (hopefully an easy fix!)

sadly I have a heater under the cubby so would be a royal pain to remove all the fittings to get to this easily .. so will try the brail method first !

Thumbs Up

That’s why I was interested if a deep 22mm socket plus ratchet or ratchet spanner would fit on the switch and could be used as that’s one of the difficulties when doing by feel in a confined space and you don’t want to keep removing and refitting a standard spanner as you remove the switch.
Post #939763 27th Jan 2022 8:30pm
spudfan

Ireland 
New fuse, new bulb, new switch and still no reverse light. It'll be a garage inspection job to find the problem. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #939783 27th Jan 2022 9:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ianh wrote:
That’s why I was interested if a deep 22mm socket plus ratchet or ratchet spanner would fit on the switch and could be used as that’s one of the difficulties when doing by feel in a confined space and you don’t want to keep removing and refitting a standard spanner as you remove the switch.

I'm happy to be proved wrong but I doubt that there's enough space for either of those options. The switch is at right angles to the 'box, with very little clearance between it and the transmission tunnel, which would make using a socket difficult. This is a view looking forward from under the cubby box:

Click image to enlarge

The overriding factor though, is that there isn't enough clearance fore and aft to swing a full length spanner, which is why I ended up cutting one down:

Click image to enlarge

By far the easiest approach would be to take out the transmission tunnel, but that can be a major task in itself, hence persevering in a tight space.

To be fair, if I had to do it again it would be a relatively quick job. First time around, there was much faffing around working out how to do it and sorting out a suitable spanner. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #939809 28th Jan 2022 7:53am
custom90

United Kingdom 
The trans tunnel removal does indeed give good access, I remember when I removed it I could see the switch and what good access that would be to it.
It’s not problematic itself, it’s the matting or carpet that’s the bigger job to get out beforehand so takes time to do that alone.

One of those jobs where you need to remove item A, B and C to get to item D.
If I was to do the job, I’d I couldn’t manage from underneath I would do the above.

I would imagine you could open a gap to the passenger side enough to enable access without removing the whole thing, though I’d be careful or you could lose some skin in the process with sharp edges. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #939848 28th Jan 2022 1:28pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Lucky for me the plug to the sensor had not been pushed home fully after the new clutch and output shaft was fitted ... so a quick 2 second job and all is well !

Whistle
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #939890 28th Jan 2022 5:14pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Finally got this sorted out. If you look at a picture of the switch you will see it has a rubber "O" ring. When this was removed and the switch reinserted everything worked fine. So the "O" ring was replaced with some silicon sealer and the switch put back in place so all is well. It just needed the switch to be that fraction closer to the gear stick. This was the new switch I had fitted as I thought the old one was faulty but it is O.K. All I can think is that there must be a little wear where the gearstick meets the ball on the reverse switch and moving it that bit closer by removing the rubber "O" ring and using silicon instead allowed the gearstick to act on the ball bearing and thus getting the reverse light to come on. As well as getting this sorted I had the garage do an oil and filter change. I supplied the oil and filter. The cost of the work came to €20 or £16.66. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #947015 25th Mar 2022 5:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12