↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Changing air inlet connection elbow - How?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
landhank

Germany 
Ianh wrote:
I’m halfway through this job, rain stopped play.
So the two bolts that hold the metal air intake hose in place are the long ones that go through the water pump and mount it onto the engine. Given the water pump is under sideways tension from the serpentine belt , how did you remove both bolts to release the bracket without the water pump being pulled off by the belt tension.

Edit- looking at the diagrams and pics of the pump I can see there are 3 bolts holding the pump on, so I expect that 3rd bolt will hold it in place sufficiently well to allow the other two bolts to be removed.

I’m wondering if removing the serpentine belt and unbolting the water pump and moving to the side would provider better access.

Yes, its an easy way to get access to the elbow hose. Just remove the belt, loosen the pump and carefully lift it up and secure it with a tensionbelt.
Post #942424 14th Feb 2022 10:27am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Where were you 3 months ago when I was doing it Landhank!!
Post #942491 14th Feb 2022 7:55pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
landhank wrote:
Ianh wrote:
I’m halfway through this job, rain stopped play.
So the two bolts that hold the metal air intake hose in place are the long ones that go through the water pump and mount it onto the engine. Given the water pump is under sideways tension from the serpentine belt , how did you remove both bolts to release the bracket without the water pump being pulled off by the belt tension.

Edit- looking at the diagrams and pics of the pump I can see there are 3 bolts holding the pump on, so I expect that 3rd bolt will hold it in place sufficiently well to allow the other two bolts to be removed.

I’m wondering if removing the serpentine belt and unbolting the water pump and moving to the side would provider better access.

Yes, its an easy way to get access to the elbow hose. Just remove the belt, loosen the pump and carefully lift it up and secure it with a tensionbelt.

Thanks landhank, I hoped that would be the case, and given I have removed so much already the belt and pump will be just two more bits.

Co1, did you extract the elbow while still attached to the metal pipe, then fit the new elbow to the metal pipe before reinstalling it , just leaving the need to fit the elbow to the inlet manifold and tighten up the jubilee clips on pipe and elbow?
Post #942496 14th Feb 2022 8:14pm
Co1

I got it out attached, but could get enough wiggle room to get it back in with the metal pipe attached so had to do it separately. There just isn’t the room to manoeuvre it with the pipe on. If you’ve drained the coolant out, you might as well remove the coolant hoses in that area to give yourself more space.
Post #942498 14th Feb 2022 8:31pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I had that thought as well, but unfortunately the coolant pipe on the pump has been so tightly clamped it would only come off if I cut it Sad
Post #942509 14th Feb 2022 9:11pm
Co1

Why am I not surprised!!
Post #942534 15th Feb 2022 7:05am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
So everything is done now, storms,rain, wind and power cuts slowed me down a lot as doing all on the drive.

That elbow is a real pain. As Co1 said , you can get the elbow out while attached to the metal pipe, but not back in attached to it.
I managed to do it with the water pump in place, but if I was to do again I would remove serpentine belt from water pump, take the remaining bolt out and move pump up and to the side to provide more room for left hand. I was just about to do that when the metal pipe finally popped into the bend.

KY jelly on the spigots really helps get the silicon pipes on.
Post #943925 26th Feb 2022 5:11pm
Doodlefish

Helpful thread
Found the advice here really useful...although I will say i think I got lucky with my elbow reinstatement. Took 2 hours to get the old one off but was able to fairly quickly fit it without removing anything else and pre-attached to the metal pipe section...with help from lubricant on the new silicone elbow. So can be done without removing anything. You will need to pull coolant pipes aside making sure they arent over stressed and you may come close to breaking a thumb Laughing
Post #945903 15th Mar 2022 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12