Home > In Car Electronics > Focal iBus 2.1 Subwoofer Installs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Onemcs

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Focal iBus 2.1 Subwoofer Installs
Hi All,

I'm planning my subwoofer install and wanted to get an idea of the install's you have done and location.

Couple I've seen searching are in either a Mud Stuff under the cubby locker, back of cubby or under the rear seats.

I'm going to try and install under the rear seats but wanted to see what others have done?

Does it go on the floor or install to the underside of the seats upside down so they can still hinge forward? If you have any photos that would be great!
Post #933648 15th Dec 2021 12:11pm
pilsburypie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I had the IBUS 20. Installed onto the rear of the cubby box like the stock alpine one is if installed.

However I had 2 issues.

1. The vibration rattled anything in the cubby and anything else around. If I kept it I would have moved it.

2. I was disappointed with the sound. It felt as if it was missing some frequencies…. Kind of like a gap in the music where the regular speakers and sub never met. Might just be me, but it annoyed my chronically where I felt even a stock fiesta sound system sounded more balanced.

So I got rid and bought a 12” JL Audio active sub with ported enclosure. Probably about 5 times the size and has to go in the boot, but my god, that fills the sound out. Probably overkill, but after my disappointment with the focal offering, no half assed option would suffice.
Post #933679 15th Dec 2021 4:26pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I had it put in a Far Corners under cubby box. I've never been particuarly impressed but thats probably because I haven't yet upgraded the speakers, so don't expect too much.

The benefit is it hides it away out of the way, provides space for additional switches, but best of all raises the cubby nicely up to elbow height, so very comfortable.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #933689 15th Dec 2021 5:42pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mine is on the floor since double cabs have two separate rear seat striker plates with a space in between which accommodates the sub on the floor between the seat striker plates.

In other body types the rear seat striker plate is one piece which means this space does not exist. With the 'one piece' striker plate I do not think there is space to fit the sub on the floor.

I did consider mounting to the underside of the seats but could not find a suitable mounting location

With regard to 'missing some frequencies' just make sure both the sub and speakers are tuned properly - refer to https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic80254.html

Click image to enlarge
 > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #933695 15th Dec 2021 6:10pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Mine is in Mud under cubby box, and am very very happy with the install and it’s sound. I wouldn’t mount it to the seats as mounting it to something soft, will absorb some of the sound. My base makes my rear view mirror wobble, and I don’t run it up high.
Post #933747 15th Dec 2021 9:56pm
pilsburypie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I suppose it comes down to personal preference and musical taste. I tend to listen to lots of rap, reggae, dancehall….. that needs some deep bass. I tuned and played with the settings till the cows came home and didn’t get where I needed to.

Anyhow, the benefit of mounting out of the way is clear. Just didn’t outweigh the cons for me.
Post #933750 15th Dec 2021 10:04pm
Onemcs

Thanks for the replies!

I spent the evening getting the cables from the HU to the 2nd row. Haven’t fixed anything yet but have managed to get everything in and turned on for the first time. Have to say it does sound great!

I’ve taken the advice on the AMP adjustments but will play around properly over the weekend.

I’m toying with mounting to the underside of the seats so that when they tumble forward so does the sub. Will get the backing off the seats later to see what I’d be fixing into. From memory the seats have a steel base.

One pleasant surprise was to find all the sound deadening under the carpet. None in the back where the 3rd row is but I’ll do that over Christmas

Click image to enlarge
Post #933786 16th Dec 2021 7:21am
hank

Will be interested to see how this progresses. Keep us updated > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #933794 16th Dec 2021 9:27am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
The under cubby sub boxes need some serious sound deadening and the metal plate under it to stop resonance. Anything loose in the cubby box will also vibrate
Post #933822 16th Dec 2021 12:42pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
what route did you take to get the cables to the second row seats? I have to do this at some time over xmas for my sub thats sitting there without cables Smile Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #933840 16th Dec 2021 2:08pm
hank

Mine comes down the inside of the dash, under the carpet past the high/low stick, through the seatbox and under the vehicle (in a flexi duct) back in at the rear seat floor > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #933848 16th Dec 2021 3:04pm
Onemcs

I should have done mine like that but was a bit reluctant to drill through the back of the seat box.

Is it just the seat box that you drilled?

I've ran mine from the HU, passenger side by the cubby and then over the back of the seat box and under the carpet.
Post #933851 16th Dec 2021 3:24pm
hank

Yes front of seatbox and then rear seats floor > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #933868 16th Dec 2021 5:17pm
MichaelE

England 
Mine is under the drivers seat. I made a sunken box. Complicated by my 90 having its fuel tank under the seat. I made a cardboard one first to test clearances, then the real thing out of steel plate from an old computer case cut and welded. The sub fits perfectly, and the sound goes exactly where I want it to.

Sorry. No pictures. I don't have the time to research how to post pictures on here. Maybe one day when I have more time.
Post #933983 17th Dec 2021 12:40pm
Onemcs

With some daylight, I’ve finally managed to secure the subwoofer to the underside of the rear seats.

Used a piece of cardboard to template the sub, drilled holes through the steel base of the seats and then fixed using stainless screws. Very solid fitting! Will keep an eye on it as the vibrations are likely to turn a screw or two.

I’m yet to do the cable protection so don’t judge me on that just yet. (Any tips of what to use?)

I’ve turned it all on and my god does it sound good!!!

Next is to tweak the HU settings as the front sound a bit too bright at the moment.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #933996 17th Dec 2021 2:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>