↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Focal IBUS 2.1 + ES100K: Sub Settings?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
judders

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
Focal IBUS 2.1 + ES100K: Sub Settings?
I recently fitted the Focal sub and front speakers and I'm very happy with the upgrade, it's night and day compared to the factory fitted front speakers.

I found a YouTube video where someone fitted the Focal 2.1 + fronts (but in a Corsa van and the fronts were bigger than the ES100Ks) and he suggested some settings on the sub. As a starting point, I pretty much copied those and I'm fairly happy with the set-up.

That said, I'm just wondering, what settings are folk who are running the IBUS 2.1 + ES100K have? Could save me many hours of tweaking. Very Happy

In the HU settings, I have the Sub switched off and Defeat enabled.

My settings are currently this:

Click image to enlarge
Post #920282 6th Sep 2021 6:49pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi, I don't have that combination of speakers and amp, but personally would turn the front high pass filter down to around 120 Hz.
That will give the front and sub a bit of overlap, avoiding any gaps in the frequencies.
The ES100's won't do much below 120Hz anyway and I wouldn't set it below that. If it distorts or sounds "muddled", then turn the filter up a bit.

It's the hours of tweaking that get it set for your own personal taste and music type. Very Happy

The subsonic filter on the sub could probably come up to 40 or 50 Hz too, no point wasting amplifier power pushing low frequencies if you can't hear or feel the difference. It will have more power in reserve for what you can hear.
Post #920302 6th Sep 2021 10:07pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I too struggle with what the settings should be and they never appear correct for the different inputs.

But I am surprised you keep the “Defeat” enabled, preferring to adjust things myself and find the “Defeat” horrid.
Post #920316 7th Sep 2021 7:11am
judders

DSC-off wrote:
Hi, I don't have that combination of speakers and amp, but personally would turn the front high pass filter down to around 120 Hz.
That will give the front and sub a bit of overlap, avoiding any gaps in the frequencies.
The ES100's won't do much below 120Hz anyway and I wouldn't set it below that. If it distorts or sounds "muddled", then turn the filter up a bit.

It's the hours of tweaking that get it set for your own personal taste and music type. Very Happy

The subsonic filter on the sub could probably come up to 40 or 50 Hz too, no point wasting amplifier power pushing low frequencies if you can't hear or feel the difference. It will have more power in reserve for what you can hear.

Thanks, appreciate the advice. I'll play around with your suggestions and see how I get on. Thumbs Up
Post #920361 7th Sep 2021 12:46pm
judders

landy andy wrote:
I too struggle with what the settings should be and they never appear correct for the different inputs.

But I am surprised you keep the “Defeat” enabled, preferring to adjust things myself and find the “Defeat” horrid.

Re the Defeat, it was just what sounded best to me, so I went with it. Very Happy

I do take your point though, it removes the ability to play around with the EQ etc. Given that I already have far too many options available on the amp, that might not be a bad thing at the moment. Laughing
Post #920362 7th Sep 2021 12:50pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
45Hz subsonic for the Sub on that, as that’s the Sub FR, any lower and it could be damaging.

Not much point on going lower than 40HZ subsonic on anything unless bigger than an 8” sub or subs as it’s usually only 10” plus subs that go that low.
Even if you did go that big or bigger you are going into serious lower realms then and big subs don’t have as much punch as smaller ones they are more deep and more powerful though.
Don’t put the gain all the way up either and bass boat is best switched off. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #920393 7th Sep 2021 4:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1