↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Disappointing end to F1 season in so many ways
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
Thats an interesting point. Why on VSC where the pack cant bunch up and a Real safety car they can
Post #933414 13th Dec 2021 2:44pm
Snowy90

[quote="markb110"]To be honest I get more exited over 24 hours of Le Mans and 6 hours of the Bathurst 1,000 than watching a predictable F1 race.

Me too, i like the only 2 mechanics outside of the pit also making pit stops safer and more time costly.
Post #933416 13th Dec 2021 2:48pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
VSC is supposed to be quick to deploy and resume from, but doesn't give the same reduction in speed, or opportunity for marshalls to get on track as the real safety car does.

Regarding the crash between Lewis and Max at the Saudi GP, this is my take. They both share some blame, but Max the bigger portion. Clearly, before the race the teams will identify the best place to give a place if its needed, so both drivers knew just before the safety car line was where Max would have the biggest advantage. Max then slowed to try to ensure Lewis was ahead by the line. Quite late in the day, Lewis realised what was happening, hence why he suddenly didn't want to pass. Max got angry/frustrated that Hamilton was onto him and jabbed the brakes, ultimately causing the collision. They were both playing games, but it went a bit far.

It could have ended up like one of those velodrome cycle races where they are both going as slow as possible waiting for the other boot it, which would have been very amusing. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #933417 13th Dec 2021 2:53pm
Bluest

[quote="Snowy90"]
markb110 wrote:
To be honest I get more exited over 24 hours of Le Mans and 6 hours of the Bathurst 1,000 than watching a predictable F1 race.

Me too, i like the only 2 mechanics outside of the pit also making pit stops safer and more time costly.

I'm as big a fan of Le Mans as the next man, spectated 12 times, but there are no shortage of dead weight teams and drivers most years and the top class has been far from thrilling for a long time. It's a different thing to F1 anyway, more like test match cricket. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #933418 13th Dec 2021 2:57pm
Snowy90

I get the difference between VSC and VS makes it much safer to clear the track etc... but VSC just neutralises the race and VS effectively makes it a rolling start.

I am sure there is a valid reason i just dont know of one.
Post #933419 13th Dec 2021 2:58pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Jabberwocky wrote:
I would suggest Liberty Media have exactly the champion they want, everyone was getting bored of Mercedes and Hamilton winning all the time.

I think you may well be correct.
Post #933420 13th Dec 2021 2:59pm
Snowy90

TBH Lemans in LMP1 or Hypercar for a number of years has been a "who has the biggest budget" but i like the LMP2 and GT class alot of action and fun but your right it is the Test match of motorsport
Post #933421 13th Dec 2021 2:59pm
Bluest

Snowy90 wrote:
I get the difference between VSC and VS makes it much safer to clear the track etc... but VSC just neutralises the race and VS effectively makes it a rolling start.

I am sure there is a valid reason i just dont know of one.

By bunching everyone up behind the slow moving safety car it creates a big gap on track when marshalls can work with nothing passing. they also get plenty of warning to get out of the way before the train comes around. It means they can get out onto the track surface itself or bring machinery on and off the circuit. They have understandably introduced and abundance of caution since Jules Bianchi was killed. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #933422 13th Dec 2021 3:05pm
Snowy90

Bow down Very true, doh why didnt i think of that. Oh well onto next year.

I like the changes to the cars they look much better in 2022

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article...qp6ye.html
Post #933423 13th Dec 2021 3:08pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
I don’t know about you guys but if I won a race under those circumstances I would be totally embarrassed
Post #933424 13th Dec 2021 3:18pm
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
lol ok Rolling with laughter
You're clearly a die hard Lewis fan who can't remember the literal countless times Valtteri has had to let Lewis past on team orders to win a race with the dreaded, "Valtteri, its James..." over the radio. Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #933426 13th Dec 2021 3:46pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
Re: Disappointing end to F1 season in so many ways
Smyles_ wrote:
SteveG wrote:

... Move to Yas Marina and the timing of the crash was obviously not good for Mercedes, but the issue there was down to the race director being a fallible human being and making rules up as he went.

He wasn't making up rules, instead was just so incredibly inconsistent both in this race and across the season. Race director has full control of the safety car so can decide when it comes in even if only half the pack has un-lapped itself.

And I do agree that the race should not have ended behind the safety car when the hazard is cleared from the track.

Quote:
There’s nothing strategic about it, if you give the place back in a way that disadvantages the other driver so that you can immediately take the place back, that’s cheating. The race director and stewards should have clamped down on that the first time that Max and Red Bull did that, then we would have avoided the brake testing and collision incident when he did it again.

Max left an obscene amount of room for Lewis to get passed on the inside and slowed down massively as soon as he was instructed to do so before the "brake test" incident and Lewis decided not to pass (which Max was then given a penalty again for despite it being Lewis failure not to pass).

But why on earth did Lewis decide to sit so close directly behind him? Yes, there was a communication issue between teams and driver but imagine Max having a powertrain failure in which no communication is given to Lewis of Max's decrease in speed and track position...

Click image to enlarge
(nobody can say that there was no space given to safely pass)

Also, if you want to talk about disadvantages to the other drivers, Lap 1 Turn 8 Whistle Fair move by Max kept within track limits and clearly ahead of Lewis into the corner. Lewis just cuts the corner and the following gaining a lasting advantage with no place given back!?!?

Quote:
... So when Lewis made a move at Silverstone, according to Red Bull it’s no longer hard racing, it’s dangerous driving and pushed to get Lewis disqualified from the race and Helmut Marko even tried to get him banned for a number races. Surely it was just hard racing, and the fact that Max didn’t yield and avoid the collision is the reason he ended up in hospital needing medical checks before being released.

Rolling with laughter

Think you need to go watch that incident again. Max was ahead into and going through the corner, with max giving all the room on the inside, so no he doesn't and shouldn't yield to a car literally behind him - not wheel to wheel. Secondly, Lewis was nowhere near the apex or racing line on that corner (Stinks of Albon Lewis Austin 2020). The fact that you can send your championship rival and leader into a wall, win the race and only receive a 10 second penalty (ie decided Lewis' fault) is comical.

Overall I'd say Lewis "deserved" to win the race based on his pace and tyre deg control right up until the Merc team very much got caught out with a late safety car on shagged, 2nd hand used tyres (they had a fresh set available to put on but instead went with the used hards?!). But, Max "deserved" the championship either way. Need I remind you of Bottas just launching the car down the inside in Hungary wiping out both RedBulls or, the tyre failures in Baku whilst clear of the field?

Some other general points:
- Lewis' bullet proof reliable car in comparison to Valtterti's 4 car retirements and continual engine replacements screams part harvesting.
- The straight line speed difference of upto 27 km/h without DRS between the Mercs and the rest of the pack (including the McLarens which are very quick in a line) which then miraculously disappeared when RB were about to launch an investigation into the Mercs rear wing.

Click image to enlarge
(from Valtteri's personal Instagram account)

Generally I have very little respect for Lewis ever since he tried to defeat his team mate Nico Rosberg in the 2016 drivers championship, where in the final deciding race he backed up Nico with several laps to go so that Nico could be overtaken by cars behind handing the win to Lewis.

Lol is that the season where Rosberg was given Lewis’ team and Mercedes did everything they could to get a ‘German’ driver winning the title? That season was a joke. Mercedes and F1 should be utterly ashamed of what happened that year.
Post #933427 13th Dec 2021 3:48pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
ibexman wrote:
I don’t know about you guys but if I won a race under those circumstances I would be totally embarrassed

You clearly don’t remember Senna and Prost or what Schumacher would get up to……..when in doubt bulldozer them out…….

At least Max, Lewis and F1 have moved on from that……. Whistle
Post #933428 13th Dec 2021 3:51pm
John P

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I agree with all the comments above. I've been a fan of F1 for a very long time. I'm very disappointed at the way this has all turned out, so I for one will not be watching F1 anymore. So much so, I've called Sky and terminated my F1 Sky subscription.
Post #933432 13th Dec 2021 4:15pm
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
All in all I think Lewis simply got caught out by "the situation", i.e. the incident and the deployment of the safety car, combined with the way the race director handled the situation.

Had the situation been the other way 'round (VER in pos #1 and HAM chasing), I'm sure HAM would have done the very same thing. Your only shot at winning is letting go of pos #2 and pitting for softs, then hope that the SC comes in in time for another (few) lap(s) of racing and try to overtake.

The odds against the #1 car (now HAM, but if reversed it would have been VER just the same) were simply very slim: if the SC stays out, you have won, but you know that FIA hates finnishing under SC. If you pit for softs, you give up pos #1 and your opponent would definitely have stayed out, hoping the SC stays out too or defend the position.

But, I have to say 2 things that some of you may disagree with, but I'll say it nonetheless:

1) HAM made a mistake by leaving too much space in that corner where VER passed him. HAM somehow did not expect VER to be there, or left him too much room, both of which are a mistake.

2) on the topic of "that brake-test incident": data clearly shows that VER did NOT touch the brakes. However it must be said that an F1 car slows down very quickly when simply taking the foot off the throttle. On the other hand: again, had the situation been the other way around, I'm sure HAM would have done the exact same thing VER has done, in the exact same location...

So, all in all, HAM was a victim of the situation, but in a sport like F1 "the situation" simply plays a huge role, sometimes in your favor and sometimes not. I think the outcome in the end is justified for the season: it was very close, Mercedes got the constructors championship for their overall fastest cars, RB beat them on strategy and won driver's championship. Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #933433 13th Dec 2021 4:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>