ibexman

United Kingdom 
He was robbed an engineered finish for the grandstand fans
Post #933382 13th Dec 2021 11:49am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Bluest wrote:
Quick Sumary for Blackwolf...

Many thanks, I now understand why this is dominating the news. Bit of a shambles, methinks.
Post #933383 13th Dec 2021 11:53am
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
It was a bit of shambles that's very true.

The alternative for the Race Director was to let all cars unlap themselves, but that would have meant that the race would have finished under the Safety Car. LH would have one yes but a very dull way to finish. I personally wouldn't have wanted that to happen. But what a last lap it was by no means a walkover for MV.

My take on the second corner incident is LH should have given the place back. Yes it was a late lunge but MV stayed on the track, LH could have backed off and stayed on the track. Thats is just racing. He almost certainly would have caught up and past but more importantly it wouldn't have given Redbull the chance to alter their tyre strategy meaning they probably would have been on similar tyres at the end and it would have been an equal last lap. I think the gravel or grass traps always achieved this fear of running wide.

Also though what is this about Team principles being able to talk to the race director, its like Football Managers being able to talk to the ref! Bloody nonsense if you ask me.

I also dont think all cars should be the same, Formula E is like that and its really boring, i like the top level innovation in teams which is mostly British talent and thats something we should celebrate.

Dont forget a championship is won or lost over the whole year and i for one have enjoyed this year way more than others.

DRS should go
Tyres are a nightmare and should drop Perrelli How can a tyre be done in just 15 laps! It will be interesting to see what happens on 18inch rims!

Im please MV has won, for now anyways, its high time we had another dominant World Champion and i like Holland lol!

I would also like to see a figure of eight track like scalextric

Just my humble opinion of an armchair F1 expert!
Post #933390 13th Dec 2021 12:38pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
You’re clearly biased a totally hollow victory for MV
Post #933395 13th Dec 2021 1:03pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
It wasn’t a ‘late lunge’ for an overtake, it was simply Max cynically forcing Lewis off the track, just like he’s done a number of times before. Of course he knew that if either Lewis crashed or they both did he would be Champion. Obviously he never thinks he’s in the wrong and it’s always the stewards against him. This is a massively arrogant attitude, coached by his dad, that is similar to Senna and Schumacher, both of whom rammed opponents off the track deliberately. While the stewards allow this to continue unpunished it will not change. Gravel traps will make it worse, Max will just force everyone off until he’s the only one left.

Yes, F1 have created this farce. Why on earth do they allow teams to lobby the ‘referee’? In some ways it’s a reflection of the trends in a number of sports (businesses) where the authorities are far too soft, eg footballers are allowed to get away with ‘professional fouls’ continuously. And it puts the Race Director in an extremely difficult and stressful situation where good decisions are unlikely. As already said, MotoGP has a far better system, and they also have much more exciting racing!

There may be some truth in Lewis’s belief that it was done deliberately to thwart him.

This is going to run and run.
Post #933397 13th Dec 2021 1:12pm
Snowy90

Rolling with laughter Not at all, I wish we had a few more teams competing not just two.
Post #933398 13th Dec 2021 1:13pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
I spent a lot of money to see 2 races this year, Spa and Monza, one was a complete farce and the other fantastic, however I completely lost interest in the championship towards the end of the year, which is a shame because it went right to the last lap, but the ‘make it up as you go along’ attitude to rules and regulations is putting me off the sport, I think verstapen needs a good talking to as he is dangerous, maybe now he has a world title he will mature a bit.

I didn’t bother watching the last race as I’ve completely lost interest but by all accounts it’s was a complete farce as usual, nobody seems to know what the rules actually are and the race director just makes it up as he goes along.

I would suggest Liberty Media have exactly the champion they want, everyone was getting bored of Mercedes and Hamilton winning all the time.

I think one of the main things that has put me off is the continuing moaning and bitching by verstapen and the Red Bull team, they don’t seem particularly professional and Horner is particular seems to have turned into professional moaner, makes it very hard to like them.

I don’t support one particular team or driver, I’m no fan of Hamilton but he is at least professional. Red Bull and Verstapen aren’t in any way, makes it very easy to dislike them.

That said having a different champion at least mixes things up a bit, and the championship needed a close tussle rather than the usual Hamilton saunter to the title. It’s the way it happened that lets it down a bit.

Will I pay to see races next year? Probably not, especially if nothing is done about the debacle at Spa.
Post #933399 13th Dec 2021 1:15pm
Snowy90

Having been to two F1 races, whilst good experiences, the best place to watch is from your armchair.

I would prefer to pay and go see the World Endurance Racing, much more bang for your buck and loads more action.

I think your right the F1 business machine got what they wanted which will drum up more interest for next season, just hope Maclaren or Ferrari can step up and compete. I would love to see Norris or Sainz on the podium a bit more.
Post #933400 13th Dec 2021 1:22pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
I payed to go see 2 races this year, didn’t even bother to watch the last one on Tv, that’s how fed up I am with the whole ‘make it up as you go along’ attitude to rules and regs F1 has at the moment.

Spending 10 hours stood on a steep bank in the rain only to watch a pathetic and pointless parade at Spa has also dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.
Post #933401 13th Dec 2021 1:24pm
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Re: Disappointing end to F1 season in so many ways
SteveG wrote:

... Move to Yas Marina and the timing of the crash was obviously not good for Mercedes, but the issue there was down to the race director being a fallible human being and making rules up as he went.

He wasn't making up rules, instead was just so incredibly inconsistent both in this race and across the season. Race director has full control of the safety car so can decide when it comes in even if only half the pack has un-lapped itself.

And I do agree that the race should not have ended behind the safety car when the hazard is cleared from the track.

Quote:
There’s nothing strategic about it, if you give the place back in a way that disadvantages the other driver so that you can immediately take the place back, that’s cheating. The race director and stewards should have clamped down on that the first time that Max and Red Bull did that, then we would have avoided the brake testing and collision incident when he did it again.

Max left an obscene amount of room for Lewis to get passed on the inside and slowed down massively as soon as he was instructed to do so before the "brake test" incident and Lewis decided not to pass (which Max was then given a penalty again for despite it being Lewis failure not to pass).

But why on earth did Lewis decide to sit so close directly behind him? Yes, there was a communication issue between teams and driver but imagine Max having a powertrain failure in which no communication is given to Lewis of Max's decrease in speed and track position...

Click image to enlarge
(nobody can say that there was no space given to safely pass)

Also, if you want to talk about disadvantages to the other drivers, Lap 1 Turn 8 Whistle Fair move by Max kept within track limits and clearly ahead of Lewis into the corner. Lewis just cuts the corner and the following gaining a lasting advantage with no place given back!?!?

Quote:
... So when Lewis made a move at Silverstone, according to Red Bull it’s no longer hard racing, it’s dangerous driving and pushed to get Lewis disqualified from the race and Helmut Marko even tried to get him banned for a number races. Surely it was just hard racing, and the fact that Max didn’t yield and avoid the collision is the reason he ended up in hospital needing medical checks before being released.

Rolling with laughter

Think you need to go watch that incident again. Max was ahead into and going through the corner, with max giving all the room on the inside, so no he doesn't and shouldn't yield to a car literally behind him - not wheel to wheel. Secondly, Lewis was nowhere near the apex or racing line on that corner (Stinks of Albon Lewis Austin 2020). The fact that you can send your championship rival and leader into a wall, win the race and only receive a 10 second penalty (ie decided Lewis' fault) is comical.

Overall I'd say Lewis "deserved" to win the race based on his pace and tyre deg control right up until the Merc team very much got caught out with a late safety car on shagged, 2nd hand used tyres (they had a fresh set available to put on but instead went with the used hards?!). But, Max "deserved" the championship either way. Need I remind you of Bottas just launching the car down the inside in Hungary wiping out both RedBulls or, the tyre failures in Baku whilst clear of the field?

Some other general points:
- Lewis' bullet proof reliable car in comparison to Valtterti's 4 car retirements and continual engine replacements screams part harvesting.
- The straight line speed difference of upto 27 km/h without DRS between the Mercs and the rest of the pack (including the McLarens which are very quick in a line) which then miraculously disappeared when RB were about to launch an investigation into the Mercs rear wing.

Click image to enlarge
(from Valtteri's personal Instagram account)

Generally I have very little respect for Lewis ever since he tried to defeat his team mate Nico Rosberg in the 2016 drivers championship, where in the final deciding race he backed up Nico with several laps to go so that Nico could be overtaken by cars behind handing the win to Lewis. Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #933403 13th Dec 2021 1:27pm
Steve_overland

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Chawton White
I liked an analogy given on Chris Evans this morning:

Its like your team is four nill up and then then the ref says next goal wins and gives the opposition a penalty....

I hope they don't change the result, even though i wanted Lewis to win, but they would do even more damage to the sport if they did. But Masi needs to get the boot. @steve_overland on Insta.
110 expedition vehicle with pop roof
Post #933406 13th Dec 2021 1:53pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
The race was finished when Horner influenced maxi to clear the lapped cars 🤔
Post #933407 13th Dec 2021 2:10pm
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Quote:
The race was finished when Horner influenced maxi to clear the lapped cars 🤔

They always let cars un-lap themselves before brining in the safety car, although it is not mandatory. The real issue is with the fact that only half the pack was sent to be un-lapped which is unusual although it would have had no effect on the top drivers standings outside Lewis and Max.

Are you also forgetting when in the same race when the Alfa stopped dangerously in the run off of a fast corner, Toto was immediately on the radio telling the race director there was no need for a full safety car and instead a virtual safety car (which he was of course correct but my point is they are all at it). Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #933409 13th Dec 2021 2:17pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
To be honest I get more exited over 24 hours of Le Mans and 6 hours of the Bathurst 1,000 than watching a predictable F1 race.

Team mates ‘racing’ each other at the top and having a bottom quarter just there to make up the numbers and wouldn’t be missed if they forgot to turn up does not make for exiting unpredictable racing.

Botas has been the best and most dignified driver who unfortunately won’t be seen again in a lesser team.

Even Boy George has been rubbish since he got the Mercedes contract.

I for one am glad that for the result, it was finally an unpredictable race and not the overly expensive procession where even the commenters have sounded bored on occasions.

Let’s see if the new 2022 cars make a difference, but we all know money talks so expect the grid to look the same……

If one rule could be changed then I would want the team bosses to keep quiet and the judges decision is final.

And stop the knee bending, it’s embarrassing now..
Post #933411 13th Dec 2021 2:31pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
It’s not acceptable for the team principal’s to influence the race director you would see it in football or any other sport
Although it would be a night mate to implement the leader was 11 seconds in front when safety car came out why shouldn’t that be taken in to account
Post #933413 13th Dec 2021 2:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>