↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Instrument cluster
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andycam82

Northern Ireland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Instrument cluster
Following the Angry Pumas page today on FB and the Ultragauge mod was brought up.

Really interested in this but as I have a 2.2 there are two DPF lights that need moving.

Had a look at a replacement dials on Lockwood and their replacement dial shows the two dpf lights but it also shows a light under the rev counter - what is this one for?

Click image to enlarge
Post #937230 11th Jan 2022 4:50pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That's a low range indicator but I'm pretty sure that it isn't actually used. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #937232 11th Jan 2022 5:22pm
andycam82

Thanks Darren

Went out and put the car in low range to test but doesn’t light up. Interesting they never used it!

Will continue to look into fitting the Ultragauge!
Post #937233 11th Jan 2022 5:49pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Low range indicator light was used on Discovery 3 but not on Defender Puma Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #937236 11th Jan 2022 6:00pm
andycam82

Not talking about the PCB but does that mean the enclosure is the same? If I were to pick one up then I could modify the spare and then transfer across?
Post #937239 11th Jan 2022 6:58pm
mmddbb

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi, I am thinking of doing something similar. Because I didn't want to doing anything irreversible on my cluster I bought a scrap RR Sport/Discovery 3 cluster from eBay and stripped it down, in the hope that this would make life a bit easier.

While the PCB is different, the light guides all seem to be in the same place. The instrument backing plate also has a large aperture where the RR Sport LCD goes. The space is too big for the Ultragauge (see pic attached) so it is probably going to be a matter of gluing some additional material in there in order to make it the right size for the Ultragauge. Or investing in a 3D printer!

While I've got the cluster out I intend to swap the dial colour and fit a Checktemp III - the latter will require a new cut out, but again I'd rather be cutting a spare than the one from my car, at least in the first instance!

What I will say is that three of the needles on the gauges on the scrap panel were extremely tight - they wouldn't rotate against the needle stop and only came out along with their spindles, which I suspect has damaged the stepper motor behind them and means that they won't stop in the same place. Hopefully the ones one my car aren't as tight, otherwise I probably wouldn't proceed!
Post #937501 13th Jan 2022 12:01pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
Was probably mine that you saw. That light isn’t used on the defender. Plenty of space for the DPF lights in there.

I desoldered the LEDs and attached them to some copper track board. Then soldered cables to the right place and onto the instrument cluster. Nice and simple if you have the confidence. 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #937541 13th Jan 2022 3:29pm
andycam82

mmddbb wrote:
Hi, I am thinking of doing something similar. Because I didn't want to doing anything irreversible on my cluster I bought a scrap RR Sport/Discovery 3 cluster from eBay and stripped it down, in the hope that this would make life a bit easier.

While the PCB is different, the light guides all seem to be in the same place. The instrument backing plate also has a large aperture where the RR Sport LCD goes. The space is too big for the Ultragauge (see pic attached) so it is probably going to be a matter of gluing some additional material in there in order to make it the right size for the Ultragauge. Or investing in a 3D printer!

While I've got the cluster out I intend to swap the dial colour and fit a Checktemp III - the latter will require a new cut out, but again I'd rather be cutting a spare than the one from my car, at least in the first instance!

What I will say is that three of the needles on the gauges on the scrap panel were extremely tight - they wouldn't rotate against the needle stop and only came out along with their spindles, which I suspect has damaged the stepper motor behind them and means that they won't stop in the same place. Hopefully the ones one my car aren't as tight, otherwise I probably wouldn't proceed!

That’s great to know. I saw a freelander 2 cluster up for sale which I’ll give a go on. I’ll let you know how it works out Smile
Post #937545 13th Jan 2022 4:31pm
andycam82

Thanks Roy - it was your write up and install I’d seen. Not my area of expertise but will give it a go!

Also saw the rest of your dash mods, did you also change the back lights for the switches from green to blue?
Post #937547 13th Jan 2022 4:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1