↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > New Jacket
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
walfy

New Jacket
I'm after a new jacket, I've trawled through every jacket thread on here and as confused as I was before.
I want a jacket that I can go walking with and without dogs, a bit of clay shooting and general hacking around in.
I have a hankering for a Barbour wax jacket but not sure if they are as good as they once were? I like the Harkila range but pockets aren't that deep.
What else is out there? Any brands to look at or brands to avoid.

As a starter I like the look of the Barbour Beaufort

https://www.countryattire.com/barbour-clas...lour=Olive

How showerproof is it? A bit of drizzle or a quick shower? Surely a bit more wax would make it waterproof? Or doesn't it work like that? 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #929742 14th Nov 2021 9:07pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Can't beat an old 80's windproof smock.... you know the type, worn by the para's and "them"....

Got to have the wire in the hood though, to make it different from the normal issue ones. Only from silvermans Laughing
Post #929744 14th Nov 2021 9:21pm
walfy

Surprisingly, my windproof smock that I was issued about 2000 still fits me. Dug it out the other day but I think it's not right that I wear green anymore. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #929746 14th Nov 2021 9:23pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Green never goes out of fashion.... still have mine here, it works well.
Post #929747 14th Nov 2021 9:24pm
walfy

Surprisingly, my windproof smock that I was issued about 2000 still fits me. Dug it out the other day but I think it's not right that I wear green anymore. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #929748 14th Nov 2021 9:25pm
kenzle8a

I’ve been through them all on the farm. Barbour are the most useless jacket ever invented IMO. Not waterproof, cold, sweaty and ill fitting. For country walking Schoffel are vastly superior. However they are expensive and not great for anything practical.

My wife and I swear by ridgeline moonsoons, i have the jacket she has the smock. I love mine, ive warn it through some truly awful weather without getting damp or too hot while working.

https://www.williampowell.com/brands/ridgeline/
Post #929759 14th Nov 2021 10:44pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
There is a decent sale on at John Norris at the moment. Both Barbour and Harkila feature.
Post #929778 15th Nov 2021 7:12am
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Re: New Jacket
walfy wrote:
As a starter I like the look of the Barbour Beaufort

https://www.countryattire.com/barbour-clas...lour=Olive

How showerproof is it? A bit of drizzle or a quick shower? Surely a bit more wax would make it waterproof? Or doesn't it work like that?

I've had a Beaufort for many years and I really like it but frankly, despite extensive re-waxing it is not the coat that I pick up on a rainy day. For a cold dry day with a bit of drizzle or a quick shower it is fine, but in persistent rain you'll get wet. The optional accessory hood isn't great either, but can be stored in the poacher's pocket for emergencies. The warm liner is great though, but is only a jerkin.

To be brutally honest I have yet to find a jacket that is truly waterproof and comfortable despite spending loads on multiple types. Goretex is only good for about 2 years, and even after Techwash etc to restore the beading it eventually wets through. For the last few years I've bought an ~£80 jacket from HH or Berghaus every 18 months or so. When new they are just as good as a £300 Goretex.

The quest for the ultimate jacket continues, so this week I'm off to try out some Paramo, but I also like the look of the Ridgeline stuff linked by lord-haggis earlier...

Last edited by Intercept on 15th Nov 2021 6:03pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #929804 15th Nov 2021 11:29am
kenzle8a

Goretex is all well and good until it gets dirty and loses its DWR.

For skiing and hiking (when your in proper gear top to bottom and can layer / delayer and aren't dealing with mud and life Goretex is stll king) I've always had a decent goretex (current is a mountain equipment 3L goretex climbing jacket). I've had it for four years and its still doing its job.

For anything that your going to use everyday theres a compromise. Years of dog walking, farming, horses, skiing and hill walking have taught me this.

Theres not a jacket out there that does it all 100%, My ridgeline is the closest ive come to the best solution, if Goretex 3l is 100 waterproof and no sweaty but won't last forever under daily grind, my ridgeline is 80% of both, but compared to its equivalent Schoffell that I also have I pick the Rideline up 99% of the time. The Schoffell is still more breathable for the hot wet days of the summer, but its useless when it comes to real Scottish weather, or any manual labour. I've spent dark nights in fields in the ridgeline in sidways rain fixing fences with the horse trying to eat the jacket at the same time and its been fine. A few folk I know swear by them for stalking and huting as well.
Post #929806 15th Nov 2021 12:01pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Having an unhealthy obsession with coats/jackets, for Harkila Pro-Hunters (worth checking ebay for 2nd hand bargains) Seeland are the poorer ginger cousin of Harkila (same company) but can be good value for money. Deerhunter coats are good for cold weather (Muflon) is a favourite, will handle brambles/scrub land all day, but they are warm/hot.

Pinewood (Scandinavian) & Shooterking (Belgium) are worthy lower cost contenders, Schoffel and Blaser are good but eye-watering expensive (I don think as good as Harkila). I like Hoggs of Fife for good value, much better than Jack Pyke.

My current wear all the time (dog walking ) is the Baleno Moorland kept me dry on some very heavy down pours, although I would not use if beating/stalking through brambles/gorse.

Probably best all rounder is a technical tweed coat that has gore-tex lining or similar for waterproofing, looks smart, washable, good tweed can handle some tough days out.

I would stay clear of some of the cheaper waterproof clothing, as its like wearing a crisp packet, ending up wetter from sweat, than a downpour. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #929807 15th Nov 2021 12:04pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have a 2019 Barbour Classic Beaufort. People talk about them "not being what they used to be" etc. but I find it to be of good quality, however not warm. I intend to get Barbour's zip in liner to warm it up

I don't use it for anything hard, more casual wear. Wore it in the peeing rain on bonfire night last week where it didn't let in a drop.

Agree that Schoffel make some lovely stuff, I have a few bits but they are not comparable price wise.

I don't think there is a single solution on this one - all have their pros and cons. I also have a couple of more 'active' jackets from Patagonia, Columbia, North Face. These are a lot warmer and lightweight and are usually my go to for dog walking. > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #929808 15th Nov 2021 12:16pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
I have a Ridgeline Torrent Euro III Jacket and find it great, it's warm, waterproof, windproof and very comfortable to wear and it's excellent value for money. I also have an old Barbour which I cannot remember the name of but it looks very similar to the one that you mention, I actually bought it from the Barbour factory, I find it OK and waterproof but it doesn't breathe as well as the Ridgeline so you tend to get a bit sweaty if you're doing any sort of work in it and I don't find it particularly warm.

https://www.newforestclothing.co.uk/produc...6433715391 Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #929818 15th Nov 2021 1:57pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Something else to be aware of with Barbour, their 'Classic' wax jackets are made in UK. So the Classic Beaufort that you link to (same as mine) will likely be superior to a 'normal' Beaufort which could be made internationally. > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #929825 15th Nov 2021 2:17pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
My wife and I both highly rate Paramo jackets. With regular machine Techwash reproofing, they are incredibly waterproof and don't rely on taped seams which I always think are a weak link. They are used by many of the Mountain Rescue teams and I'm sure they wouldn't put up with inferior gear (even if there is some subsidy or sponsorship from Paramo). I also have several Paramo water repellent fleece jackets that have proven to be virtually indestructible. Even the one I consigned to the toughest of outdoor work.
Post #929854 15th Nov 2021 5:35pm
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I quite like Hoggs of Fife country clothing. Hard wearing and good value, I have worn one of their Strathmoor jackets for 10 years now.

I think that the below is the replacement

https://www.newforestclothing.co.uk/produc...ld-jacket#

Jim
Post #929860 15th Nov 2021 6:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>