↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Scummy thieves.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Scummy thieves.
Elderly parents had their car nicked last night. Apparently they found it open 2 nights ago, so this was the 2nd visit. Taken without the key. Utter cretins. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #925910 16th Oct 2021 9:40am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Apparently a lot of key cloning is going on. The other thing is knock on your door, force entry, whack you in the face with a bat, and then demand the key!

The police can't protect you, but unfortunately the law says you can't either!
Post #925942 16th Oct 2021 2:28pm
Bim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 2.5 TD XS CSW Tonga Green
Don't see the need for a police force these days unless you are a law abiding citizen who can pay the fines
Post #925944 16th Oct 2021 3:00pm
dorsetsmith

Empty metal tins stop key cloning place your key in the tin when not in use (block RF signal ) i no this will not help as the car has been stolen, but will stop next time and have seen same thieves target same house twice
Post #925952 16th Oct 2021 4:25pm
Bluest

I’ve never given it much though as none of my vehicles have keyless go, but when it’s recovered (not likely) or gets replaced I’ll make sure they keep the keys in a tin or one of those Faraday pouch things.

Any theories on why they managed to get into the car one night, but then came back the next to take it? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #925966 16th Oct 2021 6:00pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Does anyone have a recommendation for a Faraday pouch?

All the ones I have seen on Amazon have so many mixed reviews I gave up looking.

Cheers
Post #925967 16th Oct 2021 6:04pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Teenagers have been active in our area trying car doors to see if they have been left open. Lots of people posting on the local fb chat pages. My other half had her Evoque rummaged through on a night she forgot to lock it, nothing taken. To their credit the Police did come round to take prints the following day.
Post #925991 16th Oct 2021 8:33pm
Tim in Scotland

Unkind thought I know but I wish someone would come and steal my 94 year old father’s 2010 Honda Jazz Automatic. He refuses to accept that he’s become a dangerous driver…………. his doctor and the local police refuse to stop him driving which also doesn’t help. Loss of the car is the only way he’ll stop unless he has an accident I fear……. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #926034 17th Oct 2021 9:07am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Sorry to hear that Tim.

We had to take my dad’s keys in the end. He could hardly walk in the end but still insisted he could drive.

In the end you have to think about the other road users.

All the best.
Post #926036 17th Oct 2021 9:19am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..over here, story is similar but related tightly to Toyota vehicles (Hilux seems to be very hot item)..as for land rovers in general, leaving it unlocked will not harm you at all as nobody is bothering to take it away, unless some small valuable items are left behind, for which, windows/windshield will be broken...mentioned Toyota folks have implemented pepper spray 'bomb' trap which has its own power supply, running independently from car battery, and so far it has been quite a few thieves cought/beaten up...im not sure is such thing legal in Europe..
Post #926140 18th Oct 2021 5:18am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Bluest wrote:
I’ve never given it much though as none of my vehicles have keyless go, but when it’s recovered (not likely) or gets replaced I’ll make sure they keep the keys in a tin or one of those Faraday pouch things.

Any theories on why they managed to get into the car one night, but then came back the next to take it?

Winds me right up that does, when arseholes steal peoples cars! Evil or Very Mad Hope its found and recovered. Anyway the only reasons. They may have came back, was that they were disturbed or that they did a test run to see if their little tricky device worked, and then came back for it the next night.
I bet they are very local to your parents, and been sniffing about for a model of car. Id be checking local areas that are known to have stolen cars dumped. Just in case they took it to feed their little jollies. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #926142 18th Oct 2021 5:29am
Bluest

I’ve had to chance to chat to my Dad in a bit more detail, what actaully happened…

On Thursday night the neighbour over road knocked on the door and said he had chased off someone who was loitering around the drive. On looking at his car, Dad discovered the boot open, parcel shelf on the lawn, rear seat folded down and the cover ripped off the OBD port. He locked it all back up and hoped that was the end of that. Thought maybe he had left it unlocked.

Dad got up Saturday morning, car was gone. Another neighbour has CCTV which caught the theft, just not in enough detail for the police to do anything. An estate car rolled up about 3am and parked a short distance away. Scrote got out and accessed the car through the boot again (it was definitely locked). After mucking about for a few minutes in the car (presumably with the OBD port again) another scumbag was able to open the drivers door, get in and start the car. They then drove off on their merry way, presumably never to be seen again. Whole thing took about 6 minutes.

I’m of the opinion they managed to access the car somehow without getting the signal from the key. The facts that they weren’t loitering near the house, went in through the boot both times and spent a while with the OBD port before opening the doors says to me they had another way of starting the car. It’s a Ford Ecosport, so not exactly on the super desirable list. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #926154 18th Oct 2021 8:00am
Procta

United Kingdom 
To me they know their way around fords or they are pros, Sounds like its been stolen to order sadly. Evil or Very Mad People like that need their fingers cut off! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #926241 18th Oct 2021 6:56pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
OBD Saver
Post #926277 18th Oct 2021 9:24pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Bluest, looks like its all kicked off again, Mopeds and bikes are getting stolen around my area now. A few posts have just started to pop up on facebook. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #926516 20th Oct 2021 4:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>